Gen V Haldex Testing Tools & Procedure

Mosquito

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=14113
Hi.

If someone can point me in the right direction.
I am looking into the diagnostic tools group and testing procedure of the Gen V Haldex system.

I currently own a '17 MK7R and recently did my first Haldex service. I chose to clean the pump as well which I heard has gone bad on some people's S3s before.
So far, my 2017 Golf R has been rock solid, but as I am considering to have the Haldex controller reprogrammed soon and wanted to test my system first. I have no error codes of any sort, but the system has felt a bit reactive lately, so just for my own piece of mind. If there is a test procedure I can follow, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Have you checked erWin for a test procedure?

-Uwe-

PS: This doesn't really fit in the Product Support section. Moving to General VW/Audi Repair.

Mosquito

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=14113
Thank you Uwe.
I am not familiar with erWin, will check it out in detail. Seems it is a tool and product to purchase.

Is VCDS a tool available to use towards diagnostic and testing of the Gen V Haldex?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
erWin is the official source for "repair information" (including wiring diagrams) for VW/Audi. You register an account. Then you purchase a subscription. I believe one day is $35. Make sure your computer has ample disk space and the ability to print to PDF files. In a few hours, you can have pretty much everything in there applicable to your car.

VCDS can certainly communicate with your Haldex controller, but Haldex controllers historically aren't all that intelligent. I'm also not sure exactly what it is you wish to "test". Personally I would test it with a hard launch on a soft surface, like this. :)

-Uwe-

Mosquito

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=14113
Thanks.
I get it, Haldex controllers are actually quite boring. A lot of people who had issues with their Haldex had problems getting IT to actually through error codes. That should be an indication on its own.
The hard launch on a soft surface is a good idea, I don't do launch control but on gravel it should be allright.

What do I want to test.
Ideally, a procedure like the DSG Reset/Calibration would be good. Something that goes through the motions and comes back with an OK would be nice. =)

P.S. I heard that a lot of the people that had issues with the Haldex pump, had it after doing the service.
That means either the pump is quite flacky, seems possible or there is a procedure to prime the pump with new oil, prior to driving off avoiding a potential situation of having a new oil starved pump which can burn out quickly. Just a thought.

It really comes down to getting some information on the Haldex and VCDS capabilities since there really is very little to go by online.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Ideally, a procedure like the DSG Reset/Calibration would be good. Something that goes through the motions and comes back with an OK would be nice. =)
In order for VCDS to be able to initiate such a test, the basic functionality for the test has to exist in the firmware in the control module. I've not heard of such functionality in a Haldex controller, sorry. As a reality check, I just looked at the data for one from a 2016 Golf R and don't see anything like that in there. If anyone knows something I don't, please feel free to chime in.

-Uwe-

Back