Advice on weaponry

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
See, this is why I was avoiding the whole gun thing for so long. It gets so complicated. I come in with a simple question, like, "what is the part number of a good short-range raccoon ventilator?" and it starts simple. Then it goes off the rails, like shoe/purse shopping with my wife.
OK, since you want a simple answer and you're leaning toward a .22 cal pistol: Buy a Ruger SR22. The plain old model 3600 is fine. IMO, it's the best "do it all" .22 rim-fire pistol on the market and you should be able to get one in the $300 range.

Then call Doug at Bear Creek Holsters and ask him to make you an OWB holster for it so you're not tempted to stuff it in your pants mexican-carry style when you go out to check whether any coons need killin'. Like this:

71iubzq.jpg

OK, that's an SR9C. Think of it as the SR22s big brother. :D

-Uwe-

Edit: I previously said "In the $300 range". Here's one for $270:
http://www.cdnnsports.com/ruger-sr22-22lr-da-sa-adjustable-sight-2-10rd-mags.html#.VCnjp2Nxlo8
H/T to Eric who can always find a bargain. :D

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Then stay away from AR-15s. They're like Legos for adults. :D
Yes, but not everyone knows how to assemble them correctly:

u7SrTBN.jpg

tyFGzUy.gif

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Then stay away from AR-15s. They're like Legos for adults. :D
Mindstorms are Legos for adults. I have^H^Hmy son has a kit, it's a lot of fun.

I have a couple of coworkers with AR-15 variants... haven't had the opportunity to shoot one yet. I'm sure they're fun, but I also seem to remember they're a grand or more to start and then (as you mentioned) you start on the accessories.

Jason

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I have a couple of coworkers with AR-15 variants... haven't had the opportunity to shoot one yet. I'm sure they're fun, but I also seem to remember they're a grand or more to start
Not anymore! $500-600 now. During the height of the panic in 2012, starting prices were 3x or more what they are now. Now we have a bit price overshoot in the opposite direction; kinda like what happened with oil in 2009 but not quite as extreme.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
OK, since you want a simple answer and you're leaning toward a .22 cal pistol: Buy a Ruger SR22. The plain old model 3600 is fine. IMO, it's the best "do it all" .22 rim-fire pistol on the market and you should be able to get one in the $300 range.

Then call Doug at Bear Creek Holsters and ask him to make you an OWB holster for it so you're not tempted to stuff it in your pants mexican-carry style when you go out to check whether any coons need killin'.
I was mostly kidding. :) I've learned quite a bit in the past few days, thanks in no small part to everyone here. I'd like to try both the 10/22 and SR22 at the range, but rental SR22s are less common and I'd have to drive a bit further. Thanks for the tip on quality holsters... bookmarked.

Edit: I previously said "In the $300 range". Here's one for $270:
http://www.cdnnsports.com/ruger-sr22-22lr-da-sa-adjustable-sight-2-10rd-mags.html#.VCnjp2Nxlo8
H/T to Eric who can always find a bargain. :D
Nice find! Also bookmarked... looks like the deal runs through 11/30.

Not anymore! $500-600 now. During the height of the panic in 2012, starting prices were 3x or more what they are now. Now we have a bit price overshoot in the opposite direction; kinda like what happened with oil in 2009 but not quite as extreme.
Yeah, that time range sounds about right. I remember my coworker was making a big deal out of the fact he found one at all.

Jason

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
The raccoon ventilation project has now officially entered Beta!

ruger1022breakdown.jpg

Almost bought the SR22 they had sitting there too. Then I got home and there was a helpful insert in the Takedown carry bag, pointing out the top pocket was perfectly sized for an SR22. Yep, this is definitely going to spin wildly out of control.

Jason

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
ruger1022rentaltarget.jpg

This is 50 rounds from the range rental 10/22. The first 5 or so were at 7 yards while I was figuring out how things work, all in the red/black. The rest were at 15-20 yards, getting progressively further up with distance. It felt great to shoot, but either the rental gun scope was set up way off, or I'm doing something wrong. Looking forward to trying out my own in the next few days... got some reading to do in the meantime.

Edit: the one at the very bottom was on purpose, trying to figure out how/why I was shooting high.

Jason

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Very nice! Did you get any ammo? Spare mags? A sling? :D

Oh and don't worry about being out of control until you start doing this:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Very nice! Did you get any ammo? Spare mags? A sling? :D
They were just about out of .22LR. I think I may have shot their last 50. I guess there are still some supply/demand issues? Anyway, I'll have to hunt around. Any recommendations?

Oh and don't worry about being out of control until you start doing this:

My grandfather has a pretty serious reloading operation. Another nice aspect of learning up on this stuff is that I'll have some clue of what I'm looking at when I'm visiting. He actually has a pistol set aside for me, I forget the type, but I wasn't able to get together with him last time I was back home.

Jason

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Yep, this is definitely going to spin wildly out of control.

Ooooo, congratulations Jason !
Pick up ammo anywhere and everywhere - a box a paycheck is a good rule for starters.
Gander Mountain has pails of .22LR on sale every once in a while [think 3 gallon bucket] that are good for plinking :)

It doesn't spin wildly out of control until you start thinking about re-allocating your current safes to be ammo only safes.
And then when you start pricing out doors for safe rooms... yeah it's out of control.

When you get there let me know - I have website links :cool:

Last edited:

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
They were just about out of .22LR. I think I may have shot their last 50. I guess there are still some supply/demand issues? Anyway, I'll have to hunt around. Any recommendations?

Interesting - was trying to find a link for the pail o' .22's and saw this:

DjrjyQP.png

See also: http://ammoseek.com/

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Awesome, congrats Jason! Keep an eye on gunbot for .22LR deals. Stay logged in at midwayusa and be ready to pounce when you see a deal. Your local gun shop may keep limited quantities behind the counter for reasonable prices so it doesn't hurt to ask. Remember that after you reinstall the barrel pull back the bolt and let it slap against the barrel several times before loading and firing it. Supposedly that makes sure everything is mated correctly. Post or PM with any questions.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
What's your favorite ammo for target practice with the 10/22?

I'd experiment a bit on my own, but .22LR seems to be unobtainable locally unless you stalk the delivery trucks. It's easy enough to get online, but shipping charges will eat me up for small random orders. I'd rather just order a case of something known good. What do you think of Federal Auto Match Target?

Jason

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Sounds a little overkill, and bare lead. Federal Champion and Winchester Super X (both 36gr CPHP) work well for me in the SR22. There's the tried and true CCI Mini mag as well. My advice, go with something copper plated (you're going to be loading a lot in your mags, meaning at lot of lead on your fingertips if you don't go copper plated), and avoid Rem golden bullet that puts yellow "plating" flakes everywhere including the insides of your gun.

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Jeez, those prices make me sick to my stomach. Pre-panic I got the Fed Champion 525 and Win Super X 525 for 3.xx cents a round. Minimags have always been a little more expensive. Just trying to say, don't pay .223 prices for 22LR :)
When you're ready to shoot at the pests, go with CCI Velocitors or Stingers, if you can find them.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yeah, .22 lr is still cheaper to shoot than any center-fire ammo, but the difference used to be much greater before the panic two years ago..

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Sounds a little overkill, and bare lead. Federal Champion and Winchester Super X (both 36gr CPHP) work well for me in the SR22. There's the tried and true CCI Mini mag as well. My advice, go with something copper plated (you're going to be loading a lot in your mags, meaning at lot of lead on your fingertips if you don't go copper plated), and avoid Rem golden bullet that puts yellow "plating" flakes everywhere including the insides of your gun.
This is why I consult experts!

Got myself some Federal Champion copper-plated ammo on the way. Also ordered two BX-25 magazines, and a Volquartsen automatic bolt release because I see what you mean about the ergonomics. Having self-administered a clue-by-four about why I was shooting high at a distance (rental was likely sighted for 50-75 yrds), I'm excited to get back into it.

Next question: recommended cleaning stuff? The Ruger manuals are agnostic as to specific tools and chemicals.

Jason

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
I think everyone at RT does it different :) I like Hoppe's with cotton patches and a fiberglass rod (off label-use for a HF wire running kit after a contractor borrowed it and snapped an end off), followed by CLP. Once in a blue moon I'll run a nylon brush down the bore, but not every time. One thing that we all agree about, only go in the direction of the bullet down the bore, never back and forth.

Back