Advice on weaponry

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
WOV83Zi.jpg

Uwe: Pardon my ignorance, but the lass holding the gun in the picture looks to be very close to the target - is it a trick of the camera, or is the "shooting distance" normally that small?

Don

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
As we were standing in the parking lot at the gun store / indoor range last Wednesday afternoon, one of my long-time racing buddies (who we were meeting there) had an epiphany. He said that depending on your views about firearms ownership, the inside of their business was either the most safe or the most dangerous place in the entire county.

Their range safety officer did an excellent job of keeping things under control, and I felt safer in there than I did making a left turn (right turn down there) out of their driveway which was on a blind curve.

Speaking of trips to the range, we have to hash out the plans for the RT range day and churrasco feast before another year passes.....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Uwe: Pardon my ignorance, but the lass holding the gun in the picture looks to be very close to the target - is it a trick of the camera, or is the "shooting distance" normally that small?
It depends on what kind of practice you are doing. Self-defense work with a pistol (drawing from a holster and getting a minute-of-bad guy shot off fast) is generally done at relatively close range. While it's all well and good to be able to shoot a 3" group at 25 meters from a pistol, IMO, being able to do that has relatively little practical value.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688

I have a follow-up question. What brand/model are those earmuffs? I assume that is the volume control knob sticking out of the bottom right.

I'm totally happy with the performance of the Howard Leight Impact Pro earmuffs that I bought for myself and Jennifer, although I am not a fan of the recessed thumb wheel that they used for a volume control knob. I put over a hundred hours of use on them during my hospital stay last fall, where I was using them to mask dozens of different electronic alarm beepers that were triggering an involuntary occupational hazard response in my head.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
While it's all well and good to be able to shoot a 3" group at 25 meters from a pistol, IMO, being able to do that has relatively little practical value.

I'd be happy to get a 3" group at NINE meters:

E72D0D2A-DFF7-4878-B2A9-74AE1E32CCCD_zpsuctwmz3g.jpg

At 25 meters, I can barely see the paper with my old eyes and iron sights! :(

As I had explained on the previous page, the above target @ 9 meters is the distance between neighboring room doors in many types of building hallways. In an active shooter scenario, my only hope for hitting the bad guy right now is the element of surprise.....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I have a follow-up question. What brand/model are those earmuffs?
Ryobi. "Tek4", so they use a rechargeable Li-ion battery that's also used in other "Tek4" stuff.

They're not explicitly designed for shooting, but good enough for pistol work. However, their bulk can interfere with getting a good cheek weld on some rifle stocks.

I assume that is the volume control knob sticking out of the bottom right.
Correct.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Speaking of the safest place in the county and shooting distance, the one thing that I was not thrilled with was the lack of a distance reference on their overhead track system. I was expecting something more precise than a center-off toggle switch to move the target out, or at least an LED distance readout. They had colored ribbons hanging from the ceiling and a sign on the wall with the color key, but several ribbons were missing and +/- 2 meters is a challenge at farther distances with no depth perception. Are other ranges like this, or are they just using ancient tracks/equipment?

On my way home, I remembered that I had picked up a Fluke 414D laser distance meter back in March to make a laser snow depth sensor over the summer. It has a 50 meter range, with a +/- 2mm accuracy. It's now in my range bag for my next trip. Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, miss it completely with a 22LR..... :p

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
It depends on what kind of practice you are doing. Self-defense work with a pistol (drawing from a holster and getting a minute-of-bad guy shot off fast) is generally done at relatively close range. While it's all well and good to be able to shoot a 3" group at 25 meters from a pistol, IMO, being able to do that has relatively little practical value.

Uwe: Thanks for the explanation (I always learn something new on the advice on weaponry thread)!

I have no idea how difficult it would be to remove a gun from a holster and to hit a target as large as a human at that distance. But (and not withstanding that I'm sure that it's an acquired skill) from the pattern of the dents in the backing material behind the plate in the picture, it appears that said "bad-guy" would be substantially incapacitated!:D

Don

PS: In a place where so many folk carry guns, I suspect that the most important trick in this scenario is the ability to distinguish the said "bad-guy" from another "good guy" (I assume that both bad-guys and good-guys have the propensity up there to wear a white-plate - as a fashion accessory ! :)

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I felt safer in there than I did making a left turn (right turn down there)

Speaking of trips to the range, we have to hash out the plans for the RT range day and churrasco feast before another year passes.....

vrehein: I assume that you know how characteristic your highlighted remark is for a person that was raised in a strong gun culture (especially a person who has cathartic revelations about deep meaningful philosophical questions in a gun-store - just joking ;)) !

.......... and I wont even ask about "churrasco" (lest it refer to secret rituals performed between consenting RT employees at company sponsored "range days" :p

Don

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688

Blazs_A4ABC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=217092
I'd be happy to get a 3" group at NINE meters:

This is probably all known to you, but I learnt a lot from this video. Getting a good both hands grip on the pistol (tactical stance instead of the 'olympic shooter') and working on trigger pulls makes sure the barrel still points to the target at the moment of the shot.

You have your grouping to the left.

Left_Center_Right.jpg

I personally have only airsoft guns (no civilian firearms permitted in Hungary, unless for special reasons or being a hunter/police/army officer, carry is even more restricted etc.), but I can clearly see where this video is going: When I'm doing dry-fire drills with my M9 replica I clearly suck at double action trigger pulls, yawing to the right when the trigger goes off. Inidicating that my trigger finger placement is poor. I was taught(=forced) to be right handed in the kindergarten, but since I'm a born lefty, pistol firing with the left hand somehow goes better (I never thought the Beretta would be so lefty friendly) :). Or maybe my right hand is a lot better for a supporting hand.

But again, hope you won't think I'm a smartass telling shit with no actual real gun experience :)

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Lock and load! ;) The New Yorkistan State Police just issued a civil emergency alert for these two Tennessee fugitives sighted in a neighboring town today...possibly armed and dangerous. My wife saw a state police chopper overhead a little while ago, and we live off of the secondary road that leads directly where they were spotted:

B36E4E3D-920A-4265-9461-F7F1FB5E9BEC_zpsg0yv9swp.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-24%20at%201.53.28%20PM_zpsy2rl8bqz.png

https://www.nyspnews.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=57746

Doors secured, Blizzard's electronic doggy door disabled, paperweights out of the safe and on standby.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
"Chicken and Gravy" under siege, day 2

MONTGOMERY, NY (RTNN) - In what is being described as the second-largest manhunt in New Yorkistan State Police history, at least a half dozen patrol cars have been taken off of highway speed trap duty and assigned to the manhunt for two fugitives from Tennessee wanted for kidnapping and attempted murder.

Tennessee police report that these clowns actually shot someone in their state last Tuesday, before fleeing the south and winding up in the booming metropolis of Pine Bush, NY, which borders "Chicken and Gravy" and is known throughout the world as the place where UFOs are frequently sighted.

According to the owners of several donut shops in the area, the extra police presence has not had an impact on the region's donut supply as of today. Dunkin Donuts in Maybrook is reporting a shortage on Boston Kreme filling, though.

In a press release this morning, NYSP F-Troop Spokesperson Trooper Barney Fife said that Tennessee Fugitives Jarret Cole Heitmann and Makayla Danielle Stilwell were last sighted at the Wal-Mart in Matamoras, Pennsylvania on Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 7:30am. All police agencies in the immediate area have been made aware of the sighting and the investigation is continuing.

Local media is reporting that the suspects forced their way into a home early Saturday morning, stealing at least one firearm and roughing up the homeowner bad enough to be admitted to an area hospital.

A local resident who wished to remain anonymous praised Governor Andrew No-no's NY-SAFE act for stopping these fugitives from purchasing ammunition in New Yorkistan, and forcing them to travel the 20 miles to Pennsylvania where the sporting goods clerks at Wal-Mart are not required to verify photo identification with every ammunition sale. Hopefully, New Yorkistan's high taxes will drive the fugitives deeper into the Pennsyltucky woodlands in Pike County, where the Pennsylvania State Police have plenty of recent experience hunting a madman who killed a trooper a few years ago.

Despite the obvious evidence that the suspects have fled New Yorkistan, State Police will continue their search until the overtime pay budget is exhausted.

Residents of "Chicken and Gravy" have been instructed to stay indoors under lockdown until further notice, and to report any suspicious activities to the nearest F-Troop barracks.

(*) "Chicken and Gravy" is the nickname given to our lovely Town of Montgomery by a friend of Jack and myself, because it is a working-class town that doesn't even rate a Starbucks.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
"Chicken and Gravy" under siege, day #3

MONTGOMERY, NY (RTNN) - Residents of "Chicken and Gravy" and surrounding towns have been instructed by the New Yorkistan State Police to continue keeping their doors locked and shelter in place on day #3 of their manhunt for two Tennessee fugitives.

In a press release this morning, NYSP F-Troop Spokesperson Trooper Barney Fife said that they were unsure if the home invasion during the wee hours of Saturday morning even involved the Tennessee couple.

According to the owners of area donut shops, they are still able to keep up with the increased demand for crullers and coffee for the time being. One owner, who wishes to remain anonymous, called for his third armored car cash pickup of the day late this morning.

Despite questions if the Tennessee fugitives were involved in the local home invasion and obvious evidence that the suspects have fled New Yorkistan, State Police will continue their search until their overtime pay budget is exhausted.

According to unnamed sources, a security perimeter has been placed around the Quickway Diner in Bloomingburg. Proprietors Teek and Vee were unsure how this police activity will impact Tuesday's senior citizen dinner specials at this time. It is believed that police fear the missing Tennessee fugitives will try to rent a U-Haul truck or buy a slapped-out Audi at their adjoining used car dealership.

In the meantime, this reporter is heeding the NYSP advice and staying hunkered down at home. Food supplies are holding out for now, but at some point in the next few days I will need to venture out to the store for a loaf of bread and maybe a slingshot for killing squirrels and rabbits if the NY-SAFE act doesn't ban possession/sale of them. I'd use the Ruger, but New Yorkistan penal code prohibits discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a house.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I love the smell of EEZOX in the evening. It smells like...range time! :)

The major change since last time was that I installed an aftermarket rubber grip sleeve over the larger of the two factory hand grips. My hopes were to make the grip larger for my big paws, and not as a traction aid like most people buy them for. It made a little bit of an improvement, but it still feels too small in my hands. Oh, and in a do'h! :facepalm: moment, I forgot my second magazine (the one that wouldn't feed the last round last trip) in my lockbox at home. It also bears mentioning that I ran bulk/dirty Remington "Golden Bullets" instead of the Winchester Super-X's that I had run with feed problems the last time out. I was expecting nothing but headaches from the Remingtons since some of them didn't even look like they were even assembled straight, but surprisingly there was not a single FTF or FTL...with a disclaimer that I forgot the problem magazine at home so I don't know if the change of ammo might have fixed it.

Since any range-day thread is useless without pictures, :D here's my test pages from the new printer/copier/fax/scanner/ball-scratcher. I'm not sharing the first sheet, since it was at 3 yards and basically dumping the old Winchesters and first round of Remingtons into the paper to get a feel for the new grip sleeve with the range safety dude looking over my shoulder.

#2 and the rest were at 7.00 yards. This sheet was trying different hand positions and grip strengths. Still showing a 10-o'clock bias, but I did finally settle on a grip that put some holes into the right half of the paper:

20170716204450-02fd925d.jpg

#3 was using my final hand grip decision from #2, but with elbows on the bench to steady my arms:

20170716204445-1ddfecdd.jpg

#4 was using the final grip, but moving my trigger finger deeper into the guard ring. The holes to the left and high were with the very tip of my booger hook pulling the trigger, and the tighter group to the right of center was actually with my finger in so far that the trigger was being pulled by the part of my finger where a jewelry ring would sit:

20170716204439-0137d0b7.jpg

Lastly, #5 was bringing everything together. I wish that there were a few more holes to the right, but am not going to complain about only 30% of my holes outside of the black at the end of an hour's range time:

20170716204456-7e9dbeed.jpg

There was a #6, which was shot by my racing buddy who decided to stop early when his .40 caliber Glock ammo budget for the month ran out. I let him pop off 56 cents of my pea shooter ammunition, and he put 10 holes into the paper between 1-2 o'clock which the troubleshooting wheel says was probably because he was anticipating the .40 recoil which the .22 obviously does not have.

I really need to do something to make the SR22's grip fit my big paws better, and it is really disappointing that the aftermarket has not made a single replacement grip for this gun yet. I may have to get one of those "Buck Rogers" S&W Victory .22 guns to expand my collection. Before I buy anything else, I need to schlep out to Centre County (with my wife) and get us both our non-resident PA permits. PA will not issue to New Yorkistan license holders with restrictions on their license. Both of our licenses are currently unrestricted, but the issuing judge at the time was only a temporary fill-in and a trip before the new regular judge to amend our licenses for another pistol could result in restrictions being arbitrarily added to both of our licenses if he's having a bad day or doesn't like guns.....

aTOMic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151918
This is probably all known to you, but I learnt a lot from this video. Getting a good both hands grip on the pistol (tactical stance instead of the 'olympic shooter') and working on trigger pulls makes sure the barrel still points to the target at the moment of the shot.

You have your grouping to the left.

Left_Center_Right.jpg

I personally have only airsoft guns (no civilian firearms permitted in Hungary, unless for special reasons or being a hunter/police/army officer, carry is even more restricted etc.), but I can clearly see where this video is going: When I'm doing dry-fire drills with my M9 replica I clearly suck at double action trigger pulls, yawing to the right when the trigger goes off. Inidicating that my trigger finger placement is poor. I was taught(=forced) to be right handed in the kindergarten, but since I'm a born lefty, pistol firing with the left hand somehow goes better (I never thought the Beretta would be so lefty friendly) :). Or maybe my right hand is a lot better for a supporting hand.

But again, hope you won't think I'm a smartass telling shit with no actual real gun experience
:)

The very fact that you make those statements and are aware of finger dynamics tells me you actually have better marksmanship experience than 90% of 'Murcuns, especially those who think large caliber compensates for (lack of) penis size.

Are you sure you mean "airsoft" guns, not air guns? Over here, we have airsoft guns, which shoot plastic pellets of about .22 cal just hard enough to injure kids and take their eyes out, (I have not quite figured out these guns' intended purpose), and air guns (rifles, mostly) some with almost as much ballistic energy as a .22LR, which are for shooting cats that get on your cars squirrels and other varmints which nest in houses, and target shooting.

I love the smell of EEZOX in the evening. It smells like...range time! :) ...

...Before I buy anything else, I need to schlep out to Centre County (with my wife) and get us both our non-resident PA permits. PA will not issue to New Yorkistan license holders with restrictions on their license. Both of our licenses are currently unrestricted, but the issuing judge at the time was only a temporary fill-in and a trip before the new regular judge to amend our licenses for another pistol could result in restrictions being arbitrarily added to both of our licenses if he's having a bad day or doesn't like guns.....
Nice post, vreihen. If you have big hands it sure looks like the SR22 is the wrongest gun you could pick. If it's for CC, maybe we need to patent inflatable grips (inflate off a tiny CO2 cyl, before anyone says "Wait while blow up my grips") If it's for target/varmint, I'd look for a nice MK2 with a bull barrel; it's fun to put the whole mag (11-14 rnds) in the black in 10 seconds. And it will do it, admittedly more slowly, at 25 YARDS, not feet.
Re the license;
Man, that is f'd up. I love that most people I know own so many unregistered guns that the gubmint will never be able to enact any effective gun control. I hate that my beloved home state (NY) is turning all namby-pamby on firearms. This is The U-S of F'in A, gotDammit! Founded on Firearms! There are so many out there - and I mean heirlooms - even my most liberal acquaintances would never bow to register them!

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Nice post, vreihen. If you have big hands it sure looks like the SR22 is the wrongest gun you could pick.

I'm pretty sure that the whole story is documented somewhere in the 76 pages of this thread. In New Yorkistan, it is against state law to even *touch* an *unloaded* pistol without a state-issued permit. In the ultimate catch-22, our county used to REQUIRE that a pistol be purchased, held in the store's "gun jail," and the receipt with serial number be submitted with all pistol permit applications. Since a gun store in New Yorkistan cannot let you touch a gun before you buy one, your only shopping options are to travel to a more liberal state to feel a particular gun, try and size it by holding your hand up to the display case glass, or going eeny-meeny-miney-moe to pick one at random. Once you have the permit, the gun stores will gladly let you fondl^H^H^Hhandle any pistol that they sell.

As we say in New Yorkistan, Americans have the constitutional right to possess firearms. Unfortunately, we are not Americans because we live in New York! Every time that we think we're being oppressed upstate, we can look at NYC's pistol permit process where a large percentage of the permits that they actually issue are restricted to one's premises and won't even allow you to carry your gun to a range!!!!!

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
..... air guns (rifles, mostly) some with almost as much ballistic energy as a .22LR, which are for shooting cats that get on your cars squirrels and other varmints which nest in houses, and target shooting.

Like rats.....:

35933614066_d2b1f221d2.jpg

Big ones!

That was Sunday afternoons effort... from the dining room table :thumbs: Got his Mrs too! I have some drain-coil drains that exit in plain view of the house... perfect target creators :D, especially if you sprinkle some ham around the end ::cool:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Don't buy any weapons or ammunition here......They were probably going sport hunting.

Clarion: Jihadi Cult Associate Arrested in NY With Firearms Stockpile

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2017/07/03/clarion-jihadi-cult-associate-arrested-in-ny/http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2017/07/03/clarion-jihadi-cult-associate-arrested-in-ny/

14139541_G-640x480.jpg

A long-time associate of a U.S.-based Islamist terrorist organization, Muslims of America (MOA), has been arrested in Johnson City, NY. Authorities discovered that he had a large cache of weapons inside a storage locker. A source inside MOA says the weapons were intended for the group’s “Islamberg” headquarters in Hancock, NY.

The suspect, 64-year old Ramadan Abdullah, was previously arrested in 1977 when he and another man tried to rob a candy store in Brooklyn and someone was murdered in the process. When police searched his home, they found enough material to build 50 bombs. In the end, the charges against Abdullah were strangely reduced (see below).
On May 31, Abdullah was arrested after trying to steal four boxes of ammunition from a local Gander Mountain store. When police questioned him about the purpose of the ammo, his answers made them suspicious, and they obtained a search warrant for a storage locker he was renting in the town of Union.
During that search, police found a large assortment of weaponry including:
8 assault weapons
4 loaded handguns
1 loaded shotgun
2 rifles
64 high-capacity ammunition feeding devices
flak jackets
1,000s of rounds of ammunition, including .50-caliber armor-piercing rounds
Searches of other residences linked to Abdullah turned up another loaded handgun, more high-capacity ammunition feeding devices and ammunition, including .38-caliber rounds.
New York State Police Major Jim Barnes would not say whether Abdullah was connected to terrorist groups or any organizations, but confirmed that police believe Abdullah had made trips overseas.

“There’s no indications there was a plan in place to commit an act of violence. However, it begs the question, what was he doing with all this and what were his intentions down the road?” said New York State Police Maj. Jim Barnes.
“It’s just a tremendous blessing to be able to take all these high power weapons and high power ammunition off the streets, and who knows what kind of large scale tragedy that this investigation may have prevented later down the road,” said Johnson City Police Chief Brent Dodge.
Abdullah is currently being held in the Broome County Jail without bail.
Abdullah is a longtime associate of the U.S.-based Islamist cult Muslims of America.

Back