Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 256573747576 LastLast

Thread: Advice on weaponry

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Uwe: Pardon my ignorance, but the lass holding the gun in the picture looks to be very close to the target - is it a trick of the camera, or is the "shooting distance" normally that small?

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

Post Thanks / Like
    As we were standing in the parking lot at the gun store / indoor range last Wednesday afternoon, one of my long-time racing buddies (who we were meeting there) had an epiphany. He said that depending on your views about firearms ownership, the inside of their business was either the most safe or the most dangerous place in the entire county.

Their range safety officer did an excellent job of keeping things under control, and I felt safer in there than I did making a left turn (right turn down there) out of their driveway which was on a blind curve.

Speaking of trips to the range, we have to hash out the plans for the RT range day and churrasco feast before another year passes.....

3. Likes jyoung8607, DV52, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Uwe: Pardon my ignorance, but the lass holding the gun in the picture looks to be very close to the target - is it a trick of the camera, or is the "shooting distance" normally that small?
    It depends on what kind of practice you are doing. Self-defense work with a pistol (drawing from a holster and getting a minute-of-bad guy shot off fast) is generally done at relatively close range. While it's all well and good to be able to shoot a 3" group at 25 meters from a pistol, IMO, being able to do that has relatively little practical value.
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

5. Likes DV52, vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a follow-up question. What brand/model are those earmuffs? I assume that is the volume control knob sticking out of the bottom right.

I'm totally happy with the performance of the Howard Leight Impact Pro earmuffs that I bought for myself and Jennifer, although I am not a fan of the recessed thumb wheel that they used for a volume control knob. I put over a hundred hours of use on them during my hospital stay last fall, where I was using them to mask dozens of different electronic alarm beepers that were triggering an involuntary occupational hazard response in my head.....

Post Thanks / Like
    While it's all well and good to be able to shoot a 3" group at 25 meters from a pistol, IMO, being able to do that has relatively little practical value.
    I'd be happy to get a 3" group at NINE meters:

At 25 meters, I can barely see the paper with my old eyes and iron sights!

As I had explained on the previous page, the above target @ 9 meters is the distance between neighboring room doors in many types of building hallways. In an active shooter scenario, my only hope for hitting the bad guy right now is the element of surprise.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    I have a follow-up question. What brand/model are those earmuffs?
    Ryobi. "Tek4", so they use a rechargeable Li-ion battery that's also used in other "Tek4" stuff.

They're not explicitly designed for shooting, but good enough for pistol work. However, their bulk can interfere with getting a good cheek weld on some rifle stocks.

I assume that is the volume control knob sticking out of the bottom right.
    Correct.
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of the safest place in the county and shooting distance, the one thing that I was not thrilled with was the lack of a distance reference on their overhead track system. I was expecting something more precise than a center-off toggle switch to move the target out, or at least an LED distance readout. They had colored ribbons hanging from the ceiling and a sign on the wall with the color key, but several ribbons were missing and +/- 2 meters is a challenge at farther distances with no depth perception. Are other ranges like this, or are they just using ancient tracks/equipment?

On my way home, I remembered that I had picked up a Fluke 414D laser distance meter back in March to make a laser snow depth sensor over the summer. It has a 50 meter range, with a +/- 2mm accuracy. It's now in my range bag for my next trip. Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, miss it completely with a 22LR.....

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on what kind of practice you are doing. Self-defense work with a pistol (drawing from a holster and getting a minute-of-bad guy shot off fast) is generally done at relatively close range. While it's all well and good to be able to shoot a 3" group at 25 meters from a pistol, IMO, being able to do that has relatively little practical value.
    Uwe: Thanks for the explanation (I always learn something new on the advice on weaponry thread)!

I have no idea how difficult it would be to remove a gun from a holster and to hit a target as large as a human at that distance. But (and not withstanding that I'm sure that it's an acquired skill) from the pattern of the dents in the backing material behind the plate in the picture, it appears that said "bad-guy" would be substantially incapacitated!

Don

PS: In a place where so many folk carry guns, I suspect that the most important trick in this scenario is the ability to distinguish the said "bad-guy" from another "good guy" (I assume that both bad-guys and good-guys have the propensity up there to wear a white-plate - as a fashion accessory !

11. Likes vreihen liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I felt safer in there than I did making a left turn (right turn down there)

Speaking of trips to the range, we have to hash out the plans for the RT range day and churrasco feast before another year passes.....
    vrehein: I assume that you know how characteristic your highlighted remark is for a person that was raised in a strong gun culture (especially a person who has cathartic revelations about deep meaningful philosophical questions in a gun-store - just joking ) !

.......... and I wont even ask about "churrasco" (lest it refer to secret rituals performed between consenting RT employees at company sponsored "range days"

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    .......... and I wont even ask about "churrasco" (lest it refer to secret rituals performed between consenting RT employees at company sponsored "range days"
    Actually, it is a reference to something that originates on your side of the equator:

https://fogodechao.com/

http://www.texasdebrazil.com/

Steak, the final frontier......

14. Likes DV52, Uwe liked this post