Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on weaponry

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice on weaponry

Long story short, I have a raccoon problem.

I've made it this far in life without owning a firearm, but that needs to change. I have a trap and that works well enough, but dispensing with the raccoon after trapping it isn't a very smooth process just yet. It is legal to shoot pest animals in my township.

I'm in the market for a .22 semi-auto. Any advice? I will be taking a local concealed-carry class soon, for the education as well as the permit. In the meantime, I'm not sure what to make of the bewildering array of options.

Jason

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    ruger 10/22 </endthread>

3. Likes Svtweb, jakematic, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    First off you must to be certain the rounds you are using are capable of humanely destroying the animal.

It's hard to go wrong with a Marlin rifle.
    The Browning Buck Mark is my personal favorite .22 pistol - I have 3 of them.

I'd talk to someone knowledgable at a GOOD sporting goods store or gun shop and explain your situation.

It's been eons since I was on a coon hunt, but would be very surprised if we used anything as small as a .22
    Then again we didn't have Stinger and Velocitor rounds back then either....

When you get your CHP don't even think about letting ANYONE tell you which firearm you should get.
    They will tell you this that and the other is the best thing since sliced bread.
    YOU need to make an educated decision on caliber, stopping power, and kill factors, and then fire several different makes/models/calibers at a rental range or that friends own to see what you like.
    Find the one YOU are comfortable with and will actually carry.

Suggest reading up on some of Massad Ayoob's articles.

ps- Go through Hunter Safety education and get a hunting license whether you go or not.
    It supports wildlife and forest management and proves to the haters that we are indeed large in number.
    Last edited by jakematic; 09-25-2014 at 11:46 AM. Reason: hunting license

2012 A8L 4.2 Oolong/Titanium. Premium, LED, Driver assist, Rear seat comfort, Dual pane, Alcantara, Panorama

5. Likes Uwe, jyoung8607, Santos liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    ...dispensing with the raccoon after trapping it isn't a very smooth process just yet...
    I'm in the market for a .22 semi-auto... concealed-carry...
    Jason
    Same problem here. The other night (2AM) I caught a skunk in my "havahart" and thought I'd keep it quiet, so I used my Ruger (Umarex) .177 rifle. (LOVE that thing). Mistake. Had to shoot it 7 times in the head before it stopped showing signs of life. Thank God it didn't spray ... My person was out of range, but awakened from sound sleep at 2AM I'd not reasoned out that the area would reek for a month... and it was right up against our house.

Quote Originally Posted by Santos View Post
    ruger 10/22 </endthread>
    +1 for a rifle. You read my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    What I would buy for a do-it-all .22 pistol is a Ruger SR22. Not too big to conceal, not too small to aim accurately, and very reliable...
    -Uwe-
    +1 for a pistol (for carry and all-around use). You read my mind.

Ruger MKII (used, not available new ) or MKIII/22/45 was my first thought, but too big to everyday carry with the bull barrel which I'd recommend for accurate rapid-fire fun...

Quote Originally Posted by jakematic View Post
    First off you must to be certain the rounds you are using are capable of humanely destroying the animal...
    ...The Browning Buck Mark is my personal favorite .22 pistol - I have 3 of them.

I'd talk to someone knowledgable at a GOOD sporting goods store or gun shop and explain your situation...
    Then again we didn't have Stinger and Velocitor rounds back then either....
    Hey Jake, how ya been! Been ages. Buckmarks are great; I chose Ruger just cause I liked the way the MK2 fit my hand and aesthetics.
    RE sporting goods store; they'll sell you highest profit/spiffed/priced gun unless you get reeeeal lucky and find the only honest salesman out there...
    Stinger and Velocitor rounds are too ricochet-crazy for up-close ("gang-style" ) animal execution, and using the hyper velocity rounds long range (>100 yards) can actually be less accurate from what I'm reading lately... although CCI IS my ammo of choice. Up to 100 yards, Stinger. Any .22 (including short) will destroy the brain of any varmint from 10 yards (I pick that distance to avoid getting splattered and for some chance of sighting accuracy. Unless it's a skunk, then go 25...)

HTH,
    Tom

PS I responded before reading the whole thread, but will do so shortly so forgive any boo-boos that may cause...

7. Likes jyoung8607, Uwe, Andy liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was with my family once, deer hunting in the breaks of the Snake River in very eastern Washington. My sister ended up gut shooting a doe. Not one to take that lightly, I tracked it for several hundred yards until it became obvious it had gone to ground in a wide area.

My dad and I set out with the intent of finding that doe. Since both of us had filled tags, we would not be legal walking around with deer rifles. I carried my dad's LC Smith 12 gauge side by side and a bird stamp. He carried his (really nice) USGI 1911 he carried in Vietnam and was "hiking".

We eventually discovered that poor deer had wandered into view of some drunk rednecks in a boat, who proceeded to mag dump from a pitching bass boat. They were proud. Seriously a hole in one ear, one hoof. The thing looked like Barry Seals.

Anyway we were making our way back through some trees when we look up and there was a porcupine. Now I'm not going to say I always approved of my dad's version of wildlife management, but he took the presence of the porcupine as a divine signal from our maker to test out a magazine full of 165 grain Silvertip. It was reputed to be the finest ammunition available for the zombie hoards and the like.

After 7 rounds of Silvertip he looked like he might be having some digestive discomfort but he didn't show any signs of expiring soon. So pops loads up again. Keep in mind the old man once held a worlds record shooting a pistol - he wasn't missing. Thirteen rounds and he finally let go of the tree branch and fell at our feet. Still needed finishing.

My point is, those animals are tougher than hell. You can get similar durability issues with racoons, badgers and even possums (which just sucks because they're ugly and retarded and don't really want to see you). I shot a metric shit ton of varmints over the years and prefer to hit them with something that makes them pop.

No suffering.

"Boy this grass tastes yummy tod-"

9. Likes aTOMic, Andy, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm in the market for a .22 semi-auto.
    It's not entirely clear to me whether you're looking for a pistol or a rifle. Since you mentioned shooting racoons after they're trapped, and a carry permit, I'm thinking you're looking for a pistol?

11. Likes jnvwtechacct, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not entirely clear to me whether you're looking for a pistol or a rifle. Since you mentioned shooting racoons after they're trapped, and a carry permit, I'm thinking you're looking for a pistol?
    Leaning mostly toward pistol, yes. I may pick up a rifle later, just because I've enjoyed target shooting in the past and eventually my sons will need to practice marksmanship for Scouting. The concealed carry permit was mainly for education and (legal) confidence. I started looking into whether/how I could take a weapon with me back home when visiting family and my brain started to hurt. I think I'm okay with it locked up in the trunk, but JFC it gets complicated depending on where you're going. I decided going through the classes was the best way to get clued-up and the permit might be of value later.

Jason

13. Likes jakematic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let me try to add some background here, sorry...

I'm familiar with safely using a gun: which end goes bang, safety always on when not in use, guns are always loaded, etc. I have been to the range several times with family back home. That's not to say I would turn down more formal training, which is part of the reason for the concealed carry class.

I am not at all familiar with selecting or actually owning a gun. There's the legal aspects, which is the other reason for the carry training. There's also about 2^16 kinds of guns available and I'm not sure what's right for me. My wish-list is: easy to learn, easy to clean/service at home, effective for close-range raccoon termination, and on the quieter end of the spectrum.

Jason

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I only claim to be a "peaceable citizen", not a law-abiding one.
    Far more eloquently worded than what came to my mind !

on the quieter end of the spectrum.
    Are you in the city limits ?
    Curious about why this is a consideration.
    Many jurisdictions require a boatload of paperwork if you allegedly fire a weapon inside certain imaginary boundaries....

I have a friend and colleague in your state who may be local-ish to you who would be a good resource too.

2012 A8L 4.2 Oolong/Titanium. Premium, LED, Driver assist, Rear seat comfort, Dual pane, Alcantara, Panorama

16. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jakematic View Post
    Are you in the city limits ?
    Curious about why this is a consideration.
    I live in a township, where theoretically I can shoot all I want on my own property. My next-door neighbor is a LEO and he's been taking varmints here and there too. That's not to say the county sheriff wouldn't figure something out if it became a problem, and it's a residential area and I don't want to be terribly un-neighborly. All my neighbors are armed better than I am, and they understand what we're dealing with.

The situation is this: neighbors (the LEO) decided to start raising chickens, wife decides "we" (translated: me) need to raise chickens too. Raccoons have discovered them lately. We had a couple close calls, but I thought our coop was holding. Raccoons did some creative tunneling while we were gone over Labor Day weekend and killed all four of ours. Neighbor's are still okay. I'm not sure if we're going to get more chickens, but I can tell you I'm getting all those fucking raccoons. Team Chicken is still down 4 to 2, but we have the momentum.

Jason
    Last edited by jyoung8607; 09-25-2014 at 02:48 PM.