Page 1 of 78 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on weaponry

Post Thanks / Like

Advice on weaponry

Long story short, I have a raccoon problem.

I've made it this far in life without owning a firearm, but that needs to change. I have a trap and that works well enough, but dispensing with the raccoon after trapping it isn't a very smooth process just yet. It is legal to shoot pest animals in my township.

I'm in the market for a .22 semi-auto. Any advice? I will be taking a local concealed-carry class soon, for the education as well as the permit. In the meantime, I'm not sure what to make of the bewildering array of options.

Jason

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    ruger 10/22 </endthread>

3. Likes Svtweb, jakematic, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    First off you must to be certain the rounds you are using are capable of humanely destroying the animal.

It's hard to go wrong with a Marlin rifle.
    The Browning Buck Mark is my personal favorite .22 pistol - I have 3 of them.

I'd talk to someone knowledgable at a GOOD sporting goods store or gun shop and explain your situation.

It's been eons since I was on a coon hunt, but would be very surprised if we used anything as small as a .22
    Then again we didn't have Stinger and Velocitor rounds back then either....

When you get your CHP don't even think about letting ANYONE tell you which firearm you should get.
    They will tell you this that and the other is the best thing since sliced bread.
    YOU need to make an educated decision on caliber, stopping power, and kill factors, and then fire several different makes/models/calibers at a rental range or that friends own to see what you like.
    Find the one YOU are comfortable with and will actually carry.

Suggest reading up on some of Massad Ayoob's articles.

ps- Go through Hunter Safety education and get a hunting license whether you go or not.
    It supports wildlife and forest management and proves to the haters that we are indeed large in number.
    Last edited by jakematic; 09-25-2014 at 11:46 AM. Reason: hunting license

2012 A8L 4.2 Oolong/Titanium. Premium, LED, Driver assist, Rear seat comfort, Dual pane, Alcantara, Panorama

5. Likes Uwe, jyoung8607, Santos liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    I'm in the market for a .22 semi-auto.
    It's not entirely clear to me whether you're looking for a pistol or a rifle. Since you mentioned shooting racoons after they're trapped, and a carry permit, I'm thinking you're looking for a pistol?

7. Likes jnvwtechacct, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    It's not entirely clear to me whether you're looking for a pistol or a rifle. Since you mentioned shooting racoons after they're trapped, and a carry permit, I'm thinking you're looking for a pistol?
    Leaning mostly toward pistol, yes. I may pick up a rifle later, just because I've enjoyed target shooting in the past and eventually my sons will need to practice marksmanship for Scouting. The concealed carry permit was mainly for education and (legal) confidence. I started looking into whether/how I could take a weapon with me back home when visiting family and my brain started to hurt. I think I'm okay with it locked up in the trunk, but JFC it gets complicated depending on where you're going. I decided going through the classes was the best way to get clued-up and the permit might be of value later.

Jason

9. Likes jakematic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What I would buy for a do-it-all .22 pistol is a Ruger SR22. Not too big to conceal, not too small to aim accurately, and very reliable.

Where's "Back home"? The laws do indeed vary by state and if you wish to be a "law abiding citizen", you have to check the laws of every state you'll pass through. www.handgunlaw.us is a good place to start. Personally, I only claim to be a "peaceable citizen", not a law-abiding one.

-Uwe-

11. Likes Svtweb, jyoung8607, jakematic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let me try to add some background here, sorry...

I'm familiar with safely using a gun: which end goes bang, safety always on when not in use, guns are always loaded, etc. I have been to the range several times with family back home. That's not to say I would turn down more formal training, which is part of the reason for the concealed carry class.

I am not at all familiar with selecting or actually owning a gun. There's the legal aspects, which is the other reason for the carry training. There's also about 2^16 kinds of guns available and I'm not sure what's right for me. My wish-list is: easy to learn, easy to clean/service at home, effective for close-range raccoon termination, and on the quieter end of the spectrum.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Some guns don't have manual safeties.

A concealed carry class should not be confused with actual self-defense training.

As for selecting something: Find other people who own various guns and shoot as many as you can, or find a range that has rentals. Some will simply feel better to you than others. Once you narrow things down some, read up on the models under consideration. If you only have one, first and foremost, it has to be reliable. A number of my guns tend to be safe-queens 'cause I don't fully trust them.

-Uwe-

14. Likes jyoung8607, jakematic liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I only claim to be a "peaceable citizen", not a law-abiding one.
    Far more eloquently worded than what came to my mind !

Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    on the quieter end of the spectrum.
    Are you in the city limits ?
    Curious about why this is a consideration.
    Many jurisdictions require a boatload of paperwork if you allegedly fire a weapon inside certain imaginary boundaries....

I have a friend and colleague in your state who may be local-ish to you who would be a good resource too.

2012 A8L 4.2 Oolong/Titanium. Premium, LED, Driver assist, Rear seat comfort, Dual pane, Alcantara, Panorama

16. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some guns don't have manual safeties.
    The only safety is the one atop the shoulders, located between the ears.

As my friend Eric Shelton says "Keep your booger hook off the bang switch"

18. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post