Remote Door Locks

Terry donovan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=325575
Hi
This is my first post (please be gentle) and probably a noob question.
I'm building a pop top tent camper out of a Mk5 Jetta to tow behind my Mk5 Jetta. I've got a lot of the body sorted out and a solid plan for the tent and interior. The question is, can I rig up the donor car's remote door and trunk actuation and alarm? I've got the complete harness except for ECM. I think I would need the CECM, whatever antenna the remote talks to and the harness to the doors etc. Obviously I'll need the sensors and actuators for the door and trunks etc.
Since I'm not using airbags, ECM, climate, steering cluster, radio and a host of other modules and the tail lights and marker lights are wired as a trailer, there would be a lot to code out, I realise, but I like the idea of going OEM+ instead of using an eBay remote.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I would say that's uncharted territory. What year is the car being converted to a trailer?

-Uwe-

Terry donovan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=325575
That's something I don't know offhand. When I get to the shop next I'll see if I can find anything with a VIN on it and look it up. (With the floor and the A pillars and rear rest area scrapped heres not a lot of Jetta left) IIRC it had the longer door wiring so after that.

Terry donovan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=325575
I'll add a follow up question as well, say it is possible to rig up a cecm and actuators can I program them to work off the same FOB as my car? I'm thinking the panic button could be the trailer locks. It's unused. I'm not the type to panic and I'll never otherwise press it on purpose.

In my mind that would involve coding 'panic' out of the car and programming it into the camper. Complications I envision without knowing anything about this is that the FOB is probably an algorithm and wouldn't operate 2 different vehicles.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I'll add a follow up question as well, say it is possible to rig up a cecm and actuators can I program them to work off the same FOB as my car? I'm thinking the panic button could be the trailer locks. It's unused. I'm not the type to panic and I'll never otherwise press it on purpose.

In my mind that would involve coding 'panic' out of the car and programming it into the camper. Complications I envision without knowing anything about this is that the FOB is probably an algorithm and wouldn't operate 2 different vehicles.
I think it should be possible to match the same remote to two different CCMs, but then when you hit the Panic button to release the trailer locks, your car will do whatever it does now when you hit that button, and this is probably not a desirable outcome. ;)

-Uwe-

Terry donovan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=325575
In that case I'm ok with two FOBs, lol. The donor chassis was a 2006 evidently. Canadian market model 2.5l gas, if that matters.

Currently if i press the door unlock button once it unlocks the drivers door and twice does all doors. Could I program it as once opens all doors and twice opens the camper? Or hold lock/unlock as you do for the trunk button to operate camper?
..I guess first I have to get the cecm and actuators etc in and working and that brings me back to my first question.

Last edited:

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
I REALLY think you should post some pictures of this.

It sounds very cool.

I have though about making a Touran trailer to tow behind my Touran.

Terry donovan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=325575
Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
In that case I'm ok with two FOBs, lol. The donor chassis was a 2006 evidently.
OK, so truly an Mk.5, not an Mk.5 with Mk.6 style electronics in it. Yes, VW did that in the NAR market and it can make things quite confusing.

Currently if i press the door unlock button once it unlocks the drivers door and twice does all doors. Could I program it as once opens all doors and twice opens the camper?
Sure. Turn off the "Selective Unlocking" feature. Should be Adaptation Channel 003 in the CCM.

Or hold lock/unlock as you do for the trunk button to operate camper?
Not sure exactly what you mean by that.

I guess first I have to get the cecm and actuators etc in and working and that brings me back to my first question.
Just a point of order: On the true Mk.5 like you have, the remotes talk to the CCM (at address 46), not the CECM (at address 09).

-Uwe-

Terry donovan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=325575
Just a point of order: On the true Mk.5 like you have, the remotes talk to the CCM (at address 46), not the CECM (at address 09).

-Uwe-

This is exactly the type of thing I need to know! Thanks!
Is there a remote sensor or antenna or is it inside the module?
Do I need the CAN bus as well?
The last time I got this deep in a VW it was mk1 so there's a bit of a learning curve.
Since I got VCDS last week I've only really cleared some codes and set the torsion value on my BRM. I've got a lot to learn!

What I meant by hold the button was similar to the trunk actuator on the FOB (long press). it would be neat if I could press the button to operate the car and long press to operate the camper.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Is there a remote sensor or antenna or is it inside the module?
Not sure. I would suggest referring to a repair manual and wiring diagrams.

Do I need the CAN bus as well?
Well, you definitely need CAN bus between it and the door control modules that have the actuators. Beyond that, I don't know. I'm really not sure what that module is going to be willing to do on a stand-alone basis.

-Uwe-

Terry donovan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=325575
I'm really not sure what that module is going to be willing to do on a stand-alone basis.

-Uwe-

Well,
There's only one way to find out!
I think I'll wire everything back to the trunk (where the batteries and electronics will be) and hope it works. Worst case I use an actual key to open the doors till I wire up an aftermarket module and FOB.

There is a LOT to do on this project before remote door lock actuation but I figured if anyone had done anything remotely (see what I did there) similar then I could save some trial and a lot of error.

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
I really like that!

Keep us up to date :cool:

I don't know how to help with your central locking stuff though :cry:

I wonder if it's possible to make something like an arduino that picks up the signal, and when it sees two pulses of the "trunk" button, it triggers? (to keep one fob, I mean)

Back