Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Turn off Gear Shift Indicator - 2015 S4 6MT

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Uwe, so last question and I think we've got it! After un-checking the "shift suggestion (economy) active" box, when I exit and click the [Do it!] , I get the following message:

And I am not sure what to do here! And don't want to take a guess and do something wrong!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Try [No] first and see if it will accept the coding change anyway. If so, there's no "who done it".

If that doesn't work, try [Yes] or try [Cancel]. If it accepts the coding change with [Yes] then there's an obvious "who done it" in there. If you use [Cancel], you could put more subtle non-zero numbers for Importer and Equipment Number.

FWIW, the above dialog is documented at the very bottom of the Coding Page in the VCDS product manual.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Try [No] first and see if it will accept the coding change anyway. If so, there's no "who done it".

If that doesn't work, try [Yes] or try [Cancel]. If it accepts the coding change with [Yes] then there's an obvious "who done it" in there. If you use [Cancel], you could put more subtle non-zero numbers for Importer and Equipment Number.

FWIW, the above dialog is documented at the very bottom of the Coding Page in the VCDS product manual.

-Uwe-
    I selected "no" and it accepted the coding change! Not sure what you meant by "who done it" but nevertheless, thank you for all your help!
    - Ross

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update! I just took it for a test drive, and it is still showing the gear shift suggestion! What gives ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rbb1485 View Post
    I selected "no" and it accepted the coding change! Not sure what you meant by "who done it"
    Workshop Code, Importer, and Equipment Number identify who last made changes to things like coding and adaptation values in a module. The dealers' tools have fixed values for these which are sent every time. VCDS will try to be stealthy and just put back whatever was there to begin with, but lots of modules these days won't accept that, especially when one or more of the fields is all zeros (as is the case in your instrument cluster). Hence the warning that the module may not accept changes unless you do something different.

Quote Originally Posted by rbb1485 View Post
    Update! I just took it for a test drive, and it is still showing the gear shift suggestion! What gives ??
    First thing I would do is check whether the change to the bit in question really did "take".

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Workshop Code, Importer, and Equipment Number identify who last made changes to things like coding and adaptation values in a module. The dealers' tools have fixed values for these which are sent every time. VCDS will try to be stealthy and just put back whatever was there to begin with, but lots of modules these days won't accept that, especially when one or more of the fields is all zeros (as is the case in your instrument cluster). Hence the warning that the module may not accept changes unless you do something different.

First thing I would do is check whether the change to the bit in question really did "take".

-Uwe-
    Hi Uwe, I re-checked that the box for gear shift suggestion (active) stayed "un-checked" and it did. So I am assuming it "took" ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yep, sounds like it. Not sure why it would keep showing the upshift suggestion then.

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, sounds like it. Not sure why it would keep showing the upshift suggestion then.

-Uwe-
    Do you have any other suggestions for me to try ? do I have any options? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll try to turn it off on mine after lunch.
    You ain't metal till you got a clutch pedal

10. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I'll try to turn it off on mine after lunch.
    Thanks! I will be eager to hear your results.