Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Scan due to Engine Light

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the short answer diagnosis: Rear main seal.

Full disclosure: This vehicle has been the bane of my existence since I made the horrific mistake of abandoning BMW. I fought with the Audi dealership shortly after purchasing this (CPO with 36k miles) vehicle and the oil indicator informing me I had gone through a quart of oil in about 2k miles. Shortly before the CPO ran out the dealer finally performed an oil consumption test after my constant badgering and agreed it wasn't normal (contrary to what they first stated). Result, replace the PCV (i.e. crankcase breather). By that time I was down to 1000 miles/quart. Consumption improved to about 2500 miles/quart, but started dropping to 1k miles/quart until I reached ~70k miles on the odometer. At which point I was using an Indy when the engine acted like it was in neutral while in gear; took it in and the breather once again was replaced. 5k miles later, at 75k miles on the odometer I found oil puddled all over the top of the engine. Replaced the timing cover gasket. Shortly after this repair I noticed oil splatter on the garage floor from it exiting via the tailpipes. Oil consumption improved to 3000 miles/quart the first interval then quickly descended to 500 miles/quart with about 95k miles on the odometer. That takes us to today, where my Indy thinks this car is fine after replacing the rear main seal...my perception is I'm just going to blow out the next weakest seal/gasket.

I'd love to hear your impression of what you would tell a customer the state of this engine given the above information...I have tried to keep it clean with multiple inductions (Audi's word for blowing chemicals through the engine in an attempt to remove carbon buildup as it was explained to me), but I can only imagine how fouled the catalytic converter is in addition to other parts given my oil consumption rate.

2. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts, vwtech liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthre...l=1#post120856

Thank you for confirming my suspensions & that I was indeed correct no?

This is why people should heed my warnings on PSI in the block and observe it right?
    Still not a sticky huh?

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthre...you!-Air-leaks

Hey OP did you get the firmware update done?

Want to get reimbursed for all that work or if paid out of pocket?

Final auto-scan?

Address 01: Engine (DL0MA-CAEB) Labels: 06H-907-115-CAB.clb
    Part No SW: 8K2 907 115 AL HW: 8K2 907 115 D
    Component: 2.0l R4/4V TF H14 0001 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Lets have a look see....ULEV2

HMMMMMMM
    Mileage: 160940km-100003miles <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Under warranty as CAEB ULEV don't you think so & for all aforementioned in this thread & as a vicarious result?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthre...l=1#post120856

Thank you for confirming my suspensions & that I was indeed correct no?

This is why people should heed my warnings on PSI in the block and observe it right?
    Still not a sticky huh?

Hey OP did you get the firmware update done?

Want to get reimbursed for all that work or if paid out of pocket?

Final auto-scan?

Address 01: Engine (DL0MA-CAEB) Labels: 06H-907-115-CAB.clb
    Part No SW: 8K2 907 115 AL HW: 8K2 907 115 D
    Component: 2.0l R4/4V TF H14 0001 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Lets have a look see....ULEV2

HMMMMMMM
    Mileage: 160940km-100003miles <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Under warranty as CAEB ULEV don't you think so & for all aforementioned in this thread & as a vicarious result?
    Well, prior to taking the vehicle in I did the paper over the oil cap test and it was pulling a vacuum so I assumed the PCV was operating as expected. Obviously that is not super scientific-y. All I can say is I have been watching both Audi & BMW have oil consumption problem complaints with both addressing the symptoms and not the underlying cause given that people (like myself) have recurring issues. I assume on my vehicle, given this has been ongoing for at least 65k miles, that next up are the piston rings and/or valve seals are next as it seems I'm about done with external seals/gaskets...but obviously I'm no mechanical expert.

Oh and, by the way, not only were you correct, but eerily so as I didn't drive it but 10 miles more after original post until oil started showing from different spots due to the underbody cover plinko game fluids play on those plastic panels.

No on firmware update.

Not sure how I would get reimbursed on a vehicle with 100k miles on the odometer, but I'll bite as a decent chunk of change has been spent in the past two years due to this.

Sure, I can post an auto-scan. Probably won't get to it today though, hopefully tomorrow...if I was smart I would have driven this car into one of those flooded areas "accidentally" yesterday and been done with it, lol.

I'm not certain I understand the final statement?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, prior to taking the vehicle in I did the paper over the oil cap test and it was pulling a vacuum so I assumed the PCV was operating as expected. Obviously that is not super scientific-y. All I can say is I have been watching both Audi & BMW have oil consumption problem complaints with both addressing the symptoms and not the underlying cause given that people (like myself) have recurring issues. I assume on my vehicle, given this has been ongoing for at least 65k miles, that next up are the piston rings and/or valve seals are next as it seems I'm about done with external seals/gaskets...but obviously I'm no mechanical expert.
    You are doing that test improper..........and a constant vacuum would indicate a problem as would blowing it off.

Switching of the valve is what you want to see & as "a DANCE cap" not dunce.........
    You didn't pay out of pocket for these repairs did you?
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daders View Post
    Jack is saying that the vehicle is still under an emissions warranty. I'm not sure I agree. To start with, you appear to be in a state where CARB rules do not apply, only the less stringent federal rules.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    You didn't pay out of pocket for these repairs did you?
    Yes, I most certainly did as the dealership in no uncertain terms told me there was no longer a warranty after I reached the end of the CPO period.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Jack is saying that the vehicle is still under an emissions warranty. I'm not sure I agree. To start with, you appear to be in a state where CARB rules do not apply, only the less stringent federal rules.

-Uwe-
    I was under the same impression, being in TX has its disadvantages at times.

Post Thanks / Like

-Uwe-
    Indeed am I?

If a car is certified Federally and vicariously by means of a 50 state CARB COC, it doesn't matter the state he resides in or to receive such a warranty extension & as stated on the EPA COC application & because the manufacturer had a choice to certify the car separately for states which don't partake in a bifurcated COC Federal application?

ANY manufacturer does and must clearly state what the warranty and useful life is of all and each SMOG component & on any such COC application, don't they?

Remember I am asking tough questions now right?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed am I?

If a car is certified Federally and vicariously by means of a 50 state CARB COC, it doesn't matter the state he resides in or to receive such a warranty extension & as stated on the EPA COC application & because the manufacturer had a choice to certify the car separately for states which don't partake in a bifurcated COC Federal application?

ANY manufacturer does and must clearly state what the warranty and useful life is of all and each SMOG component & on any such COC application, don't they?

Remember I am asking tough questions now right?
    Good luck with that tactic; I don't have the time, resources or inclination to fight the local Audi Service Department, followed by the Service Manager, then Audi NA, followed by Audi lawyers and finally VWAG lawyers (or whatever the parent company is called now)...even if I skip the first two I really don't think it's worth the grey hair effort to recoup $5k. What I do have time to do is tell all my friends/colleagues my experience with how Audi responded to my concerns, how the vehicle behaved subsequently and that Audi will never receive another dime from me.

11. Likes PetrolDave liked this post