DSG Tcu programming

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Personally I think better drivers would be had, if everyone had to learn how to drive a manual clutch motorcycle & before getting behind a wheel.
This. If you survive a couple of years of daily commuting on a motorcycle, you'll probably be a petty safe driver. :D

-Uwe-

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
learn how to drive a manual
All my cars before were manual. My other 2 cars are still manual.
I use my GTI on weekends at the drag strip, so I see the merits of the DSG.
In Jamaica, we have a serious traffic problem due to poor road designs and inconsiderate drivers who choose to block every intersection by disregarding the traffic lights.
The manual gearbox in this country becomes the dinosaur reserved for the drag-strip and the few open roads we have here. Otherwise, clutch wear is prevalent which inching forward in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
The manual gearbox in this country becomes the dinosaur reserved for the drag-strip and the few open roads we have here. Otherwise, clutch wear is prevalent which inching forward in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
That's down to driving technique - my previous car was an Audi B7 RS4 with a 4.2L V8 and a manual gearbox (there was no DSG option) which I used as my daily commute in "rush hour" traffic that averaged 11mph stop-start bumper-to-bumper traffic, that still had the original clutch (with no slip even when I gave it full beans) when I sold it at 10 years old with 85,000 miles on the clock.

Reactions: Uwe

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
averaged 11mph stop-start bumper-to-bumper traffic
Our traffic is slower than that here (a real stand-still). The only time there is movement is early mornings, and late evenings.

My Mitsubishi Evolution 7 has a Stage3 clutch which is either fully engaged, or disengaged. There is no slipping in between.

My beater Mazda RX7 (financial mistake) has a Stage2, so it is more bearable.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
In Jamaica, we have a serious traffic problem due to poor road designs and inconsiderate drivers who choose to block every intersection by disregarding the traffic lights.
In that case, a standard automatic with a hydraulic torque converter would probably be better than a DSG, since a DSG also has a clutch that will wear out in constant start/stop conditions. :)

-Uwe-

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
Agreed, but I like the feeling of a distinct "shift" when I'm on the track or open road.

oregonvw

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=341971
Agreed, but I like the feeling of a distinct "shift" when I'm on the track or open road.

For distinct shift, I'd personally go for the 09G automatic/tiptronic transmission... secret being never change the transmission fluid and never reset the TCU back to basic settings.

You'll definately feel distinct "shifts"

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
I don't recall this transmission being an option for the MK5 GTI. Your post is a good reminder for me to get my DSG serviced again

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
You'll definately feel distinct "shifts"

No no....... BANGS, right?

large.gif

Back