Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2006 TDI Jetta Steering angle problem after dead battery

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I replaced the module. At first ABS was just throwing the code for Yaw rate. The more I test it the more codes it seems to spit out. And after reading the links you sent, I am in fact stuck in the loop from hell.

I am doing basic settings from the ABS module, not steering assist although I can still see the G85 in steering assist module, wont change value in there either.

The test completes but as soon as all of those codes come into play it looks like it re starts. So I suppose one would have to take care of the reasons its throwing the codes or it will never be satisfied. The problem is the ABS module seems to be freaking out.

I've also found that the test will not restart unless I shut the car off and restart it. I've tried stopping with my foot on the brake many times, and every time I shut it off and restart it the test will initiate. as I said before I can sit with my foot on the brake for 10 minutes and never see a change in the status lights. Its rather annoying.

Is there any system settings in the ABS module that could have been lost when the battery died?.
    Last edited by rabbitpower; 02-06-2018 at 04:34 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm.. All the modules are error resilient against power outages so there shouldn't be any issues with the battery going dead. Usually if something happens, the ABS module loses it's coding. In your case no, you still have valid coding in the ABS module and it does not complain about coding problems.

Have you looked at the steering assist measuring blocks, does the steering angle and assist values change logically when you turn the steering wheel?

Also check the ABS wheel sensor readings once again from ABS module meas blocks. Just to make sure that the reading they're giving are logical and in line with each other. Faulty sensor could cause problems with the system test.

3. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    Have you looked at the steering assist measuring blocks, does the steering angle and assist values change logically when you turn the steering wheel?

Also check the ABS wheel sensor readings once again from ABS module meas blocks. Just to make sure that the reading they're giving are logical and in line with each other. Faulty sensor could cause problems with the system test.
    Yes. I have looked there, it will not change. There is logic change in the torque and speed values, but nothing for ANGLE. The status of the sensor is "n.Init" which I take to be NOT INITIALIZED. Its waiting for something.

I will checking the readings on wheel speed again. If I can figure out how to take a snapshot of the scope Ill post that up too.

Thanks for the help so far.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Took me a minute to figure out how to post a photo. Im not 100% computer literate I suppose.

At any rate, I went out tonight to see if I could force the EPS system test to complete

* I got it to complete 3 times in a row
    * Then the cops showed up. I mean, someone driving in figure 8s in a school parking lot at 9 p.m? No worries.
    * The test completed 3 times and each time started a new system test
    * I noted that the ABS light will not trigger until I stop for at least 5 seconds. I can drive around until Christ comes home but as long as I don't stop, no lights.
    * I sat there contemplating my mortality for around 5 minutes after an hour of driving in circles.

* So, I looked at wheel speed again. What else was I going to do?
    * Can someone explain why the driver side rear ( That is the red one correct?) will graph a line when the car is sitting still? If this is correct I cant imagine that's helping my cause but my solid week of VCDS learning has yet to produce a logical reason.

* Is it possible to add the G prefixes to the colors? I know it seems pretty ridiculous to veteran users of the code, but it would keep me from guessing lol

* As it stands, the test goes right into incomplete now. I cant get it to initiate any more. Tried shutting the car off, waiting, mashing the brake pedal. It is just done for tonight.

* Is the waviness in the yellow one considered "Noise"? Is it ok? All of the sensors output reads within 1kph of each other. As far as that goes they are all very close

Last edited by rabbitpower; 02-07-2018 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Too much coffee

6. Likes downtime liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Read here, EXACTLY same problem what you have and EXACTLY after the same battery gone flat and there's a resolution what fixed it.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/in...topic=111188.0

Here's most likely your solution

8. Likes D-Dub, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess Iíll have to pull the wheel off and check it out. I do think this issue is related to that previous post. Iíd just like to understand from a software standpoint what Iím seeing.

The red one is the drivers rear correct?

What do you think vcds is picking up on? I would like to understand how it can graph a line with no motion?.

As soon as I start the graph the red line takes off horizontally.

At first I thought it was some sort of base line, but then I realized after shutting each sensor off one by one that it was actually a wss.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly I haven't graphed my wheel sensors ever. I've just looked at the meas blocks. On my current car they show 0km/h when the car is on standstill and they logically increase when picking up speed. All of them show the same number so if one of your wheel sensors is that bad off, there's something wrong with that.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thatís what Is so sneaky about this issue. You CANT see it unless you look at them graphically. I donít know how it happens but vcds might be picking up the anomaly and interpreting it in a way looking at the measuring blocks canít. On the other post with this issue I think that guy didnít see anything wrong in measuring blocks either.

They all read ok when Iím moving. Logically speaking in the output boxes. That red one is screwed up on the graph. The measuring block reads 0. The graph reads moving.

Which color goes with which wheel? I want to make sure Iím looking at the correct sensor.

Do the colors follow the order from left to right same as the measuring block values for g46,47, etc?

Is this common knowledge that I have somehow missed? Lol
    Last edited by rabbitpower; 02-08-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't help on that one? Uwe or someone else from Ross-Tech?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will continue to poke around at it but I donít think Iím going to replace the rear speed sensor until I get some more input.