Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Several technical questions regarding VCDS on a 2018 Audi S6

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I see a lot of "Extended CAN Bus (SAE Bus C) - Malfunction", which probably explains the many "missing messages" fault codes.

You bought this car new and haven't modified anything yet, right? If so, I wouldn't even think about making any changes to it until this problem is addressed. The question is, what's the best strategy to get the Audi dealer to fix this? Handing them a scan from VCDS likely isn't it...

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW you would probably get more info by using the current release 18.1 . You have lots of "missing message" and "restricted function" DTCs. Also put a charger on your battery.
    You ain't metal till you got a clutch pedal

3. Likes PetrolDave, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bought the car new but it had been sitting inside the showroom floor probably for months... with the keys inside the car. Several cars inside had the battery dead, so it probably died in my car too... or was too weak at some point. Car had 30+ miles before my test drive, so was obviously used for a few test drives. My guess is battery got pretty low at some point. I've been charging it religiously since I bought it, via the hood jump points, since the battery is buried under the trunk. Maybe that has something to do with it? Well, I agree not to change anything right now. But I also think I should erase all codes, and see if they emerge again, to see if it's a current problem, or an old one, no? I have the excuse to take the car for the MMI issue, if it doesn't get fixed and the codes return. Open to suggestionsl, but I think there's no foul in erasing codes, no? If all the other problems are there, they will return, correct? Is it a problem erasing them??? By the way, car functions perfectly now except the AudiConnect. And my guess is car wasn't hooked up to the computer before I took delivery, since I just drove it off the lot after my test drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well, if it were mine, yes, I'd clear the codes and see what happen. But the dealers we deal with know what we do for a living.

Most of your fault codes seem to be due to a one-time even at, "Mileage: 348 km / Date: 2018.01.12". I gather that's after you took delivery?

Oh, and I missed your registration question. Please see:
    http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?8824

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, bought the car on Dec 29, and that fateful day was when the MMI acted up, so guess it's all related to that? Hope so. Should I erase all codes and see if the AudiConnect recognizes the SIM card??? And if not, would it be any issue trying to go to the module 5F (if correct), and try to enable that part manually? There's nothing that prohibits an owner (for warranty purposes) from erasing codes, is it? Finally, should I use the car a little bit and do another scan after clearing all codes, and see if anything got recorded again? If I can't correct the MMI issue, and want dealer to fix it, the code would have a date later than when it happened, but don't think it'd matter, no? I could just tell them MMI is not recognizing the SIM and it shouldn't matter when it happened, right? Car is fully stock. And that's why I asked if VCDS would 'violate' the ECU with a TD1 code and the answer was no, so there shouldn't be any issues, I hope.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Uwe, my 'dongle' doesn't have any readable serial number; only a barcode sticker. EuropaParts is saying it should have a label with a serial number. I told them it doesn't have one. They asked for pictures, but before wasting time on that, the registration video doesn't show a S/N sticker either, so maybe that's the way they come??? Let me know, please, before I register the unit (in case I need to get it replaced). Thanks.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    FWIW you would probably get more info by using the current release 18.1
    I just downloaded the software a few days ago from the Ross-Tech website, to make sure it worked on my old computer (it did), since it wasn't supported. Is there a new version??? Guess will need to check again. If I download another, will the software just update the files or erase everything I did yesterday? Guess will do the registration now.

EDIT: Never mind. Connected the cable to register it, and it prompted me to install the new revision, and I'm doing that right now. Will register it, then clear the codes, use the car to do an errand, then do another scan and I'll post it here to see what you guys suggest after that. Hopefully all will be well, but somehow I doubt the MMI SIM issue will go away by itself, but you never know. Thank you.
    Last edited by elp_jc; 01-30-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It should not affect what's in your Logs sub-folder, but you could always make a backup of that folder before you update (belt & suspenders approach).

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    The update was downloaded quickly, then proceeded to the main page, and after pressing 'options', the config menu opened by itself with the 'update' tab, so clicked on 'download update', and it's taking forever to apply it. It's still going after like hour and a half. Is that normal??? Waiting for that to end to click 'registration'. There're 2 green bars 'applying update' and 'transferring', that keep going back and forth, so no idea how long more it'll take. If it doesn't finish soon, might have to abort it and just download the correct file again, no? And no, didn't backed up anything, but copied the first scan on my personal folder. I also checked the VCDS folder and was there as well, but I changed the name. Should be enough, I hope.

Oh, and is the serial number of the cable the 'H11-002361' listed on the HEX-V2 sticker? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No, the update for the interface should only take a few minutes.

I'd restart it.

ETA: You don't need to download new files. Just re-start the update in VCIConfig. You may also need to reboot the interface (by removing all power from it).

-Uwe-