Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: 2018 Golf GTI Reference Scan (with 17.12 BETA)

  1. #11
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,177
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoPops View Post
    Still weighing up buying a HexNet.
    Not sure if it’s better to sell or trade my HexCan USB.... Thoughts?
    CocoPops: Isn't the choice simply an economic one? RT will discount the purchase price by $50 as a trade-in. I assume that RT does this purely in recognition of your loyalty as a previous buyer - I can't imagine that old cables are of any commercial value to RT and I suspect that they are simply destroyed when received (perhaps with Uwe saying a few carefully chosen words as a eulogy before the old cables are respectfully lowered into the fires of cremation) !!

    So, as a suggestion - why not try selling your old cable privately before making a decision. Allow the RT trade-in offer to be the threshold price for your "Plan B" - if you can get a price that's higher than the RT trade-in value from the 2nd hand market, then you can use the extra inciome to off-set the price of the HEX V2! If the 2nd hand market won't value your old cable above the RT trade-in price, then go to plan B!

    Down here in the Antipodes, 2nd-hand RT cables sell for about $150 (AUD), so I doubt if many Aussie cables are used as Trade-ins

    Simples!!

    Don
    Last edited by DV52; 01-13-2018 at 05:49 PM.
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

  2. Likes Uwe, PetrolDave liked this post
  3. #12
    Benevolent Dictator Uwe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    15,854
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    RT will discount the purchase price by $50 as a trade-in.
    Huh? How did you arrive at $50?
    https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/RetCAN
    With a HEX+CAN trade-in, a 10-VIN HEX-NET is $249. A new customer would pay $449 for that item. That's a $200 discount. The Unlimited-VIN HEX-NET is $399. A new customer would pay $599, again a $200 discount.

    There's a less-expensive alternative as well. We will accept a HEX+CAN interface in lieu of any of the lesser interfaces on this page:
    https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/RetHEX
    That means one can get a 10-VIN HEX-V2 for $149. Yes, that's only $150 discount compared to what a new customer would pay, but for those who don't want/need WiFi connectivity or VCDS-Mobile, it's also $100 less to get an interface with the exact same capabilities via a wired USB connection as a HEX-NET.

    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    I assume that RT does this purely in recognition of your loyalty as a previous buyer - I can't imagine that old cables are of any commercial value to RT and I suspect that they are simply destroyed when received (perhaps with Uwe saying a few carefully chosen words as a eulogy before the old cables are respectfully lowered into the fires of cremation) !!
    Yes, upgrade discounts are primarily a way of saying "Thanks" to our existing customers. As for the disposition of used interfaces, it depends on their condition. We do keep some as service stock because we have customers who use their cables very hard but don't necessarily want to upgrade to the latest and greatest when they kill them.

    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    So, as a suggestion - why not try selling your old cable privately before making a decision. Allow the RT trade-in offer to be the threshold price for your "Plan B" - if you can get a price that's higher than the RT trade-in value from the 2nd hand market, then you can use the extra inciome to off-set the price of the HEX V2! If the 2nd hand market won't value your old cable above the RT trade-in price, then go to plan B!
    I concur with this strategy, especially overseas where the cost of shipping (and possibly customs & taxes) can be a substantial factor. But I do think it's necessary to set the record straight in terms of the net cost of an upgrade (i.e. the discounts we offer on them).

    -Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

  4. Likes DV52, CocoPops, PetrolDave, Eric liked this post
  5. #13
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,177
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^ Uwe: As Catholics would say to their priest in the confessional - mea culpa!! Not sure how I calculated the RT discount, but clearly I was wrong
    Yes indeed- RT's thankyou for the loyalty of past purchases is $200 USD - I will go sit in the naughty corner for a while and contemplate my mathematical incompetence!!

    Don
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

  6. Likes Uwe liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •