disaster

billywhizz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=278038
hello guys ,I would welcome your comments please,,, I have a 2010 mk6 golf tdi s, the other half was using it and stopped too fill up , the tank was nearly empty, and you guessed it she filled it with petrol (full up).:banghead:, she then drove it for around half a mile before it stopped.. it was towed in too local services and they pumped out the petrol and fitted a new filter, 10litres diesel , gave her the car back running, she drove home around 60 miles , had a look this morning seems ok quiet , no misfire ,smooth running ,,, so what do you think am I in for major problems later on with the pump and injectors????.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I'm kinda surprised it runs now.

-Uwe-

billywhizz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=278038
I was very surprised too ,expected it too be terminal , but its smooth quiet , no misfires seems fine,i know that just fitting a new fuel filter without the proper input from vcds can be a major problem, so I'm not sure why its ok at the moment.

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
i guess you got lucky or you have some very special petrol over there. a new high pressure fuel system is quite the price....

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
Wow. It got all the way to stopping by itself, but still goes!

My Brother-in-Law owns a diesel tech shop. They had a 2 year old ute come in after the same issue, which had seized the pump, and stripped the cambelt teeth bent some internal bits..... US$11500 later.....

You *could* replace the high pressure pump before it disintegrates... but it might not, and then you've wasted money... if you leave it, and it does disintegrate, it'll cost more.

The petrol/diesel issue happens quite a lot over here, but it's often not terminal... though the fact the car stopped, I would have thought it would have been terminal at that point!

Maybe you got lucky... what can you really do??? I don't know, but people used to put some kind of 2-stroke oil in old diesels that supposedly helped something - is there something lubricating that could be added??? If nothing else, it may make you feel a bit better about driving it :-)

Is it something you can claim on insurance??? Maybe see what the insurance company say to do???

billywhizz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=278038
I just a had a thought,!!! normally I put in 50 mm of arch oil 6900d fuel conditioner with every tank of fuel,, the wife put the required amount of the ar 6900d in with the petrol she put in by mistake, could it have possibly managed too help lube the pump enough too save it from breaking up,?, long shot I know but something made a difference.

Mick Egan

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=248842 (NRRT)
Hi guys. I have seen a diesel engine with a petrol fill and it wrecked the cylinder head valves before the FIP and injectors. I think you are lucky.

harr2969

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=294329
she filled it with petrol

I believe it was a top gear episode where they did some testing with petrol vs diesel ... ran rough both ways on their test car, but ran. That's just one example and it sounds like others have some pretty nasty examples... fingers crossed, sounds like you may be ok.

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL9-i9tcESU

Ah.. it was an "older" vehicle.

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
Yeah remember, a modern(ish) common rail diesel engine has a high pressure fuel pomp, providing n*1000 bars of pressure to the common rail.

Legend has it that these pumps have a very small tolerance in the plunjers and all the other things that make it work, to achieve high performance. For longevity it's lubricated with the diesel fuel itself.
So if there's no more lubricating diesel, the pump will strip itself bare and metal parts will enter all the expensive parts like injectors, fuel rail and next stop the fuel filter and fuel tank.
If you shine a flash light into the fuel tank and see some metal parts... bad news. That probably used to be your HPFP.

I guess an indirectly injected diesel engine would have been fine(ish) after a flush and a new fuel filter. But these high pressure machines... not so good.

billywhizz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=278038
an update on this one guys. after doing a few miles and days use, I lifted the fuel filter and checked the bowl,, nothing, no water no bits looks clean . I checked with my insurance and they said they would pay out for this if it in the short term went bang,, it would be a total loss payout , that's one of the reasons I checked the filter bowl,so back too square one,, one thing that did come too light is the car threw a red stop light and then cut out, It didn't just stop , she tried too restart it wouldn't go so called for help.looks like it will last a while longer ,will keep driving

Back