Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012 Audi A8 MMI visible only for a few seconds after screen comes up

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Well now its not any better, after spending a better part of the evening pulling out the trim from the dash, I was able to pull the head unit (cd player/sd card reader). The screen is still in the car because of a two wire connection on a ten pin connector doesn't seem to come undone, a youtube video definitely showed that they cut this wire. Anyway in all of my moving around components and wiring now the screen doesn't come on at all. Back at it on Monday.
    Even more evidence that this could be ‘just’ a wiring issue.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    First I had to cut what I believe is the power to the display. There are two micro switches. The fully raised switch is broken, the metal tab is missing and can not push the switch. Now that I have gotten this far, I still can't remove the unit because the switches don't have disconnects on them and I don't want to cut anymore wires. I am going to try and bypass the micro switch in a always on position (jump the wires together) and see if it will work this way. I can't really see replacing the micro switch as the unit is very hard to work on in the car. Hopefully I can get the unit working without having to reinstall it all the way so I can do some test runs.

3. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    $5 says it's deploying and turning on as per normal, but there's some little microswitch that's supposed to tell it the screen has fully come out, and that isn't happening. So the display turns back off as it's not supposed to be on when inside the dash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    ... There are two micro switches. The fully raised switch is broken, the metal tab is missing and can not push the switch.
    I accept Paypal.

(no not really. good luck though.)
    Silence gives consent.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well if I haven't destroyed something else on the process of getting this far. I broke a couple of plastic tabs getting the various pieces out. So will see. Still more confident than my local Audi dealer, as they can't even put the car back together correctly after warranty work.

6. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well turns out the power was intermittent to the screen. I don't know why, cabling or something. Anyway I tapped into another source and seems to be working. The micro switches have been removed, not sure of their exact function, maybe to position the screen just right, either way the motor stalls out in full up or down.