Winter in USA

Rembrant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230053
Made in Canada, eh, where they know a thing or two about cold weather.....

Speaking of Canada, I'm hundreds of miles Northeast of you guys and we still have no snow;)

It has been staying unusually cold for us though, around -14c to -16c the past little while. Finally warmed up this morning to a balmy -5c.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Speaking of Canada, I'm hundreds of miles Northeast of you guys and we still have no snow;)

It has been staying unusually cold for us though, around -14c to -16c the past little while. Finally warmed up this morning to a balmy -5c.
Wait, your in Nova Scotia, right? Didn't you guys get pounded by the storm that came up the coast last week?

Rembrant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230053
Wait, your in Nova Scotia, right? Didn't you guys get pounded by the storm that came up the coast last week?

Nova Scotia, yes sir. We did indeed get the same storm, but it turned into rain by the time it got to us. By Thursday afternoon, it was +9c.
Winds were still bad, and we lost power for 12 hrs, but that was the extent of it in my area.
They got a lot of snow further inland, Northern NS, New Brunswick, etc.

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
26168984_10155829766801259_7148408688979946139_n.jpg

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
While we are complaining about the record cold.....

https://nypost.com/2018/01/08/flying-foxes-fall-from-sky-after-being-boiled-alive-in-heatwave/

Flying foxes fall from sky after being ‘boiled alive’ in heatwave

By Sam Webb
The Sun
January 8, 2018 | 3:52pm

Thousands of flying foxes died in an Australian heatwave so severe it has melted tarmac.

The animals fell from the trees as they were boiled alive in temperatures exceeding 104 degrees Fahrenheit in Campbelltown in New South Wales.

Animal welfare volunteers battled to save the lives of the hundreds of babies and some adults in distress but the death toll is believed to be in the thousands.

A spokesman from the charity Help Save the Wildlife and Bushlands in Campbelltown said: “The efforts of our volunteers yesterday was both heroic and heartbreaking.”

“In extremely trying conditions they worked tirelessly to provide sub-cutaneous fluids to the pups that could be reached and many lives were saved. But sadly many lives were lost too.”

“Hundreds of mainly young flying-foxes were lost to the heat yesterday and the final count could run to thousands.”

The heatwave in three states brought temperatures strong enough to melt the bitumen on a highway and sparked bushfires that destroyed buildings and threatened lives.

A fire raging out of control set several structures ablaze on the outskirts of Melbourne, the country’s second-largest city and the capital of the southeastern state of Victoria as a result of the heatwave.

The state’s emergency management commissioner, Craig Lapsley, said hot temperatures had combined with dry weather, strong winds and a wind change to create dangerous conditions.

“It’s exactly what the forecast indicated and when we have fires running that’s obviously a problem for us,” he told a news conference.

About 400 homes lost power and 50 fires were reported across Victoria on Saturday, although many were small and were extinguished.

Emergency warnings were issued both in Victoria and in the nearby state of South Australia, where authorities advised residents of a rural area to seek shelter in buildings from an out-of-control fire.

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
flying-foxes-fall-from-sky-after-being-boiled-alive-in-heatwave
TIL: there is such a thing as flying foxes and they're made out of dichloromethane .

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
It is strange, but it seems that snow has "escaped" to places where it has never been. I see him in Sahara, and in my backyard:

K7mllTa.jpg

This flower usually (I do not know is its name "snowdrop") appears in the spring and announces that the winter is nearing its end. In my country, it's normal that we now have 20 - 30 cm of snow.

Reactions: Uwe

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
it is supposed to go from currently ~60F to less than 20F by tonight, with supposed snow and ice, here in st louis.

they are already closing schools, and colleges (wtf they are adults).

should be fun, we haven't had any snow of substance so far this winter (or last), and I want to take the old 4mo-passat out and play in the snow.

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
This flower usually (I do not know is its name "snowdrop"...

Yes, I certainly know it as a Snowdrop. I have loads planted in the front garden - and I think the shoots are starting now.

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Returned to this thread to remind me of the coolness and freshness of a nice crisp winter. We're having unusually hot, dry weather in the UK at the moment, melting tarmacadum and bending rails. In fact, those who know me here; know I work for the Railway in England and I have an in-joke with the P-Way (track) people that the track is either "Snapping like carrots" in winter - or "Like Curly Wurly" in the summer :D

Meanwhile, I'm sweating my potatos off on a daily basis, we have to wear 'full orange' (head to foot Hi-Vis orange overalls) and hard hats when on track. I leak like a sieve...

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
Oh, Dear... we are not so lucky. :facepalm:

WnL1KNJ.jpg

Back