Thread: Entropy is a Harsh Mistress

Post Thanks / Like

Entropy is a Harsh Mistress

... or "The Long Goodbye"

... or "She's Dead, Jim: Part IV: I'm Getting Too Old For This Shit" (Part 3) (Part 2) (Part 1)

Wherein I chronicle the sad life, death, and organ donation of my poor foster 2004 Phaeton V8. Part 1 coming a bit later tonight.

Special guest appearance by: The Downgrayedd

Brought to you by: Potato-Cam
    Silence gives consent.

2. Likes Uwe, PetrolDave, Eric, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    I espouse so........
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

4. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to write some of this up last night, but I managed to slightly stab myself in the palm un-jamming filament from our 3D printer, which put a slight damper on my typing enthusiasm.

Part 1: The Beginning of the End

Once upon a time I impulse-purchased a 2004 Phaeton V8 that had a water intrusion issue. I knew this at the time. I enjoy tinkering from time to time, and I knew how to fix it. It came with pretty good service records. And, I thought I'd fix it up back to spec and sell it for a pretty decent gain. Yes, you read that right: I bought a twelve year old base-model market-failure German luxury sedan as an investment. I had a spreadsheet with the purchase price and parts required and expected KBB private-party valuation afterward and everything.

This worked about as well as you might expect. With help from Jack@European_Parts, I got it running and driving. But due to lack of Round Tuits, my other parts and plans to restore it to truly like-new and premium-price sellable condition largely remained on-the-shelf for the couple years I owned it. I still have a bunch of parts still sitting on my workbench today. But, I did value having family vehicle N+1 redundancy, which is important when you live the farfegnugen life.

Over the summer, my daughter kinetically decommissioned her 2004 Passat GLX. I wasn't real happy about that, nor was I real happy about being dragged into its replacement. But no transportation will domino into no job, which will domino into no apartment, which will domino into her moving back home, and she has cats, and I'm not taking in cats. So I nipped that situation in the bud, and got my "investment" out of the driveway in one move. It wasn't the car I would choose for her, but it's the car I had.

This ended poorly.
    Silence gives consent.

6. Likes D-Dub, Andy, NZDubNurd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    kinetically decommissioned
    What a great phrase! That's up there with "rapid, unscheduled disassembly".

I'm biting my tongue with regard to the rest of your post though.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

8. Likes D-Dub, vreihen, NZDubNurd, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ Entropy may well be a harsh mistress, but Enthalpy is always your friend!!

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

10. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    What a great phrase! That's up there with "rapid, unscheduled disassembly".
    ...and "flight-proven" boosters.....