Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VCP product and forum sued by VW AG Germany, they call for donations for legal fees

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pot calling the kettle black soot?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Link to suit and disclosure of suit on their site?
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Been there, done that, a decade ago, with the original product name, "VAG-COM".
    ...and yet they don't go after the pirates still using that product name to this day.....

4. Likes Uwe, PetrolDave, Jack@European_Parts, Eric liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or the clones of ODIS and the VAS 5054 interfaces.......& they actually let them function within their own network for the longest time. /\

See I would want to see a suit with its allegations & before donating money because it might be a scam.............?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    ...and yet they don't go after the pirates still using that product name to this day.....
    Because they are "fly by night" operations who keep moving on so it's never possible to work out who VAG should sue (and by the time they do, the company has "gone into receivership" only to start up the next day with different name and directors)?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    Because they are "fly by night" operations who keep moving on so it's never possible to work out who VAG should sue (and by the time they do, the company has "gone into receivership" only to start up the next day with different name and directors)?
    That is true. Chinese don't care the least bit whose system they copy or if they infringe a copyright. Someone sues them and yes, next day the company is gone and a new one pops up somewhere else who will continue the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    That is true. Chinese don't care the least bit whose system they copy or if they infringe a copyright. Someone sues them and yes, next day the company is gone and a new one pops up somewhere else who will continue the same thing.
    Sadly, that's exactly how it works there.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    Maybe Uwe or Sebastian should close and delete this thread?
    Nah. I think it's interesting to see the different perspectives that people have on this, and I don't perceive it as a flame war at this point.

I also think it may help people understand why we approach things in a certain way...

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Sadly, that's exactly how it works there.
    OT : Why not set a expired time limit for using the HEX-USB+CAN with VCDS software? for example you can set the 1 january 2019 is time limit to use this cable and from 2018 every update the vcds informs you that you need to change the cable!! i think 1 year and more than enough

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can understand a trademark/brand name owner wanting to keep control over or limit other products using their brand/trademark in a separate uncontrolled product.

I suspect Uwe would also take umbrage at an independently developed (not copied or pirated) app similar to VCDS that uses some variation of VCDS as the product brand (ex VCDSx).

There is this thing called brand dilution which usually ends up making your brand genericized and losing your trademark.

Like Xerox, or Linoleum.

I am surprised Google has not fallen into being generic for internet search.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ide-challenge/
    Last edited by Uwe; 12-26-2017 at 11:38 AM.

12. Likes vreihen, Jack@European_Parts, Uwe liked this post