Enigma software protection, when was it put in?

voxmagna1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=148985
I run vcds on a basic 32 bit XP laptop reserved only for my vehicle diagnostics, It doesn't connect to the internet, I don't add programs and I don't do Windoze updates anymore. The laptop has my own 3rd party firewall, some malware and AV protection, non of which have affected my previous attempts to install vcds updates up to V 17.1.3 offline using downloads to a usb memory stick.

Eventually I decided to update to vcds to v 17.12.0 (including the beta) and got 'Enigma protection' error issues linked to the .exe install file. Eventually, I tracked this down to my firewall option 'Windows system protection'. Now I have to remove this OS protection option to run this version of vcds. If I had been connecting to the internet, it would leave my OS system files unprotected.

What is Enigma protection and why is vcds the only application that seems to object to it? There are many users that will stick with older operating systems and laptops for their vehicle diagnostics. Is Enigma executable file protection something designed for newer PC's which need Microsoft routines or specifically a Microsoft firewall to allow the install? I disable the MS firewall and use a 3rd party firewall which whilst now legacy, is the same vintage as my XP operating system. It must be working well because it won't allow vcds update executables to run!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It's been in there for years, but the latest Beta also uses a newer version of it.

Please use a previous version of VCDS for now, such as 17.8.1.

Please note that the Beta page states:

Works on Windows 7 and newer, including Windows 10. It might still work on XP as well, but we no longer consider any version of Windows older than 7 to be "supported."

-Uwe-

voxmagna1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=148985
Thanks, the' not supported platform' is the stock line from Microsoft. My point was the userbase for vcds here may not be doing upgrades or replacing PCs just for auto diagnostics.Many are likely to do what I do, which is assign an old PC because vcds isn't that demanding of multi core processors with lots of memory, whilst an XP licence is still a good license. I still run MSDOS applications!

It looks like vcds application software architecture isn't changing much and doesn't need to, but the commercial interest to secure executables from the bad boys is the likely reason?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
My point was the userbase for vcds here may not be doing upgrades or replacing PCs just for auto diagnostics.Many are likely to do what I do, which is assign an old PC
Until last year I ran VCDS on a 2003 vintage very low spec (single core) Dell laptop that came with XP, got upgraded(?) to Vista and then to W7.

So an old low spec laptop doesn't necessarily have to be replaced just to run newer versions of Windows - the old reason I retired it is the lack of security upgrade support from M$ (IMHO vital for any PC connected to the internet to avoid it acting as a source of infection to other PCs on the LAN) for older Windows versions and the laptop reached EOL when it was incapable of being upgraded to W8.1 (the processor didn't support the necessary instruction set features).

Now I run VCDS under W10 on a tablet that cost me less than $100.

Reactions: Uwe
Back