New to me 2006 Jetta Non working wipers

Mr. M

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=256600
yes I can power a fog light using the ground by left headlight

Can you power the fog light using the ground in the wiper motor connector? If so, it's time to look at communication. LIN is a single wire carrying a 12v signal. The only way to be certain you have communication is using an oscilloscope, but you can use the suggestion made by Jack earlier in this thread using an LED. This method will only tell you something is happening on the network line, not that there is a good communication signal. Connect a 12v LED (not a filament bulb) between the LIN wire and ground in the wiper motor connector while the ignition is off. Get someone else to turn on the ignition and operate the wiper controls while you watch the LED - it should flicker. Note that LEDs are polarity-sensitive, so this will only work if the LED is connected the right way around. Not my preferred way of doing it as it's a little unreliable, but it may help you. As you say you measured 10v on the signal wire, I'm guessing the LED will show something.

I'm also nervous that someone before me has already swapped out the j519

Is there a date of manufacture on the label on the J519 which is plausible for the original? Or does this module support advanced ID?

MTShaun

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=323037
Mr. M
I am able to power fog light using the ground from the wiper motor connector. Also using an led tester I am able to light it up with power from signal wire in same plug but it does not change at all thru any setting changes. I found it odd that I have power to signal wire while key is off and out of the ignition. is this supposed to have power all the time?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Mr. M
I am able to power fog light using the ground from the wiper motor connector. Also using an led tester I am able to light it up with power from signal wire in same plug but it does not change at all thru any setting changes. I found it odd that I have power to signal wire while key is off and out of the ignition. is this supposed to have power all the time?

That is a residual command signal to move the wipers one last time for wear in opposed position and which can't complete its task.

Change wiper motor or BCM if proper signals are not being made.......are you sure you don't have a signal voltage versus actual power as current?

MTShaun

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=323037
Jack@european_parts, I just put my voltage meter on the signal wire at plug after the car sat untouched for hours and yes the power on signal wire is voltage. reads 11.4, approx. .5 volts lower than battery power on the red and white wire at plug.. The wiper motor currently on the jetta is a brand new one, and I've also tried two other salvage yards replacements so I'm not believing its the motor. The BCM you reference I assume "Body control module" is that the j519?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Jack@european_parts, I just put my voltage meter on the signal wire at plug after the car sat untouched for hours and yes the power on signal wire is voltage. reads 11.4, approx. .5 volts lower than battery power on the red and white wire at plug.. The wiper motor currently on the jetta is a brand new one, and I've also tried two other salvage yards replacements so I'm not believing its the motor.

Unacceptable means of checking for current or ability to carry a load.

Do me a favor OP: I want you to take good jumper leads and using WD connect power and ground directly to wiper motor and then the CAN high/low or single LIN leave in place and try the motor with all other pre conditions met or bypass hood switch.

Report back.........

The BCM you reference I assume "Body control module" is that the j519?

Affirmative

Last edited:

Mr. M

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=256600
Looks like you have good power and ground, but I'm unsure about communication right now. I would want to scope that signal wire next.

Just a thought, do you still have voltage on the signal wire with the J519 and the wiper motor disconnected? If so you have a short to + in the harness...

MTShaun

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=323037
Well I'm finally back after all my traveling through the holidays (rain-x was my friend for sure!) Great news though, I have successfully repaired my wipers! I decided to try a used body control module (j519) off ebay, swapped out and copy/pasted coding off my bad module and BAM good to go.

Thanks for all of your help, I'm sure I'll need it again. My current project is repairing the auxiliary heater, it's re-soldered on all 5 resistors known to fail, just waiting to get my Jetta back from the windshield doctor (decided to reward my hard work with a new windshield ha!) so that I can re-scan and test aux heater.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Good work! And thank you for letting us know the outcome.

Back