Faulty BCM replacement, Component Protection issues

EduardJS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=307521
Ok gents, so it's been a long time coming. Have a Polo 6C, with a 6C0 937 089 BCM.
Went on, bought a used 6C0 937 089 B ( from another Polo 6C ), installed it, fixed the CAN Gateway installation list, it's coding, as well as BCM's long coding.

After switching ignition on, the unexpected happened, Component Protection was activated, and nothing could be used.

This is a first for me, as I looked on some BCM upgrades for Polo 6R's ( which I guess don't have CP ? ) and forum tutorials didn't mention anything related to it.

Bummer.

Where should I go from here onwards ? What can be done regarding CP ? Is it a feature of the BCM itself ? Or the car's ? I've read something regarding immobilizers, though my car doesn't seem to come with one.

Someone who has more knowledge on this, please guide me through.

Regards!

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
remember, polo 6c ==! polo 6r.
only a vw dealer can relief component protection. it's an anti-theft measure

EduardJS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=307521
Yes, I know they are different, just that ... I didn't know where to go from there ?

Basically, if I go to a VW dealership, they would be able to "fix" it ?
Would the same apply to a MIB retrofit ? Would they "remove" the component protection for me ( obviously for a fee ) ?

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
they can, but there are many different stories on whether they will. but yes, the same applies to a MIB(2) or ACC retrofit.

Reactions: Uwe

EduardJS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=307521
I'll try next week, and will come back with my "story" :)

Hopefully they will

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Yes, I know they are different, just that ... I didn't know where to go from there ?

Basically, if I go to a VW dealership, they would be able to "fix" it ?
Would the same apply to a MIB retrofit ? Would they "remove" the component protection for me ( obviously for a fee ) ?

Eduard: Hi - Yes, MQB -ish type cars like the 6C have CP - which is supposedly about combating the black market trade in stolen parts - but it has the beneficial side effect of providing additional revenue for dealers (unintentional benefit - I'm sure, not! :)).

So what happens with CP is that on each ignition switch-on, the CP master module (which for the 6C is the combined BCM/ CAN Gateway module) interrogates each of the major modules in the car for their identity. These major modules are collectively called the CP constellation and they are these modules:
  • J234 Airbag control unit
  • J285 Control unit in dash panel insert
  • J428 Adaptive cruise control unit
  • J519 On-board power supply control unit
  • J533 Data bus diagnosis interface
  • J685 Display unit for front information display and operating unit control unit
  • J794 Control unit 1 for information electronics

After each of these modules respond, the CP master module compares the identity of each with the identity of these modules at the previous ignition switch-on. If any module identity in the two lists are different - a CP error is initiated.

According to VW "Following replacement, control units with component protection must be enabled online by FAZIT, or the control unit will be restricted in function or will not work at all."

So- when you retrofitted the new BCM into your car, it had the identity list for the "CP constellation" from the old car. When you turned-on the ignition for the first time after the retrofit (i.e Terminal 15 switch-on), the new BCM/CAN Gateway initiated a CP check and discovered that ALL the modules in the CP constellation were different to the previous ignition switch-on list (which were the modules in the old car).

As for your question about retrofitting a new MIB, as you can see from the list above, J794 is in the CP constellation, so alas it is a problem

Don

Last edited:

EduardJS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=307521
What would be the case with a brand new BCM then ? I'm guessing it wont have any CP Constellation entries so it will work just fine ?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^^^ hmm............... good question !! I'm not sure!!

EduardJS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=307521
I mean... a brand new BCM wouldn't ( logically ) be subject to theft .. because .. who'd be able to steal a brand new, BCM ?
Either way, hopefully they'll sort things out, and it wont cost me more than a new BCM.

kamold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241363
A brand new BCM will still need to be have CP matched to the rest of the modules in the vehicles using VW's online servers.
This will pull data from the vehicle's VIN, compare it against the feature installation list down on sub-level 4b of the data warehouse in Wolfsburg and then return the correct security keys and features (FEC) that are permitted for that vehicle.

As mentioned by DV52 this is ostensibly to quash the trade in stolen parts - it certainly makes the life of the regular repairer next to impossible to boot...

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
kamold is correct. All parts that DV52 already very well documented above, have CP enabled regardless are they used or new when installed to a vehicle they've never been adapted to.

Only way is authorized repair shop with Geko/Fazit access = ODIS + online credentials. They will do it for a fee and it's a less than 5 minute job for them.

And just to repeat what was already said. If the part is flagged as stolen in VW servers, the CP adaptation will not go through.

Reactions: Uwe

EduardJS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=307521
Bought it from a shop in Germany, I doubt ( hope ) that is not the case.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Probably not but when buying second hand parts, there's always the risk that the part is flagged stolen. But you will know as soon as the CP adaptation is tried in workshop :)

Back