2015 A3 - Key programming

random101

Reaction score
Hi all,

I dropped my key in the water at the boat ramp... since the remote has died (changed the battery and it worked but shortly there after died again even after pulling it apart and giving it a good clean).

Never the less the key still works without the remote.

So I bought a used key and was hoping to switch my blade into the used key and reprogram that key (possible through VCDS or is it only authorized VW that can)?

If I put the old blade in the used key (from another car) I trip the immobilizer (same as just using the blade without the water damaged FOB).

Cheers

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
if it's kessy, you can forget about vcds. if it's not then it depends if your immo chip is transferable.

random101

Reaction score
It's not Kessy. It needs a key start.

Not sure where the Immobilizer chip is located on the chip board? Can it be programed via VCDS?

myounus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321059
The immobiliser chip is a very small square/rectangle shaped item that looks like a tiny black coloured sweet that is usually fixed into the corner of the key. That chip will need to be removed and placed into the new key, to replace the one that's there. VW won't reprogram an old key as they say the RFID chip is one-time programmable only.

Some locksmiths can reprogram an old key to work but VCDS can't do this. If you struggle to locate and swap over the immobiliser chip then you'll have to purchase a new blank key.

random101

Reaction score
Last edited:

myounus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321059
There is normally a method/sequence to program the key fob section to the car. You have to follow a sequence and code all keyfobs together at the same time. A quick search of the internet will help you locate the procedure, if it's not already documented in your car's handbook.

random101

Reaction score
Those instructions are for the 8E-chassis B6/B7 A4.

I'm skeptical that they would be applicable to an 8V chassis (MQB-based) A3. ;)

-Uwe-
Ditto - I'm pretty sure you need the VCDS to do this (and in order to do so need the SKC...)

random101

Reaction score
Update - I'm starting to think it will just be easier to fix the water damaged key...

So I took off the long rectangle chip off the key I bought and replaced it with my one (soldered it off and soldered mine on).

Car locked up straight away !@$

Soldered it off and put it back on the water damaged key and it works fine... go figure... Do I have the right chip?

Back