Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 99 A4 - Fresh Air Blower Not Working

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeInSeatown View Post
    You can't actually get to the leads without removing the housing. I could bolt it back in and run leads out.

Anyhow I did hook it up to 12v today by way of my motorcycle's battery tender pigtail. Motor turned, until the 7.5 amp fuse on the pigtail blew. So I know it turns, just didn't get to full speed before the fuse blew to know if it's making noise.
    Wondering, what is normal amp draw for this, would not think a lot more than 7.5???

lARIMORE

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Larrymore

It's in the RTFB just like the sauce.........

European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions LLC
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Manton View Post
    Wow a forum where people are actually active and responsive.

Jack, laughing now, if he only knew, makes my morning. Are regular ones round or irregular ones some other shape???

Larimore
    Oh, I did my due diligence before posting. It's hard to read threads here and not get a sense of the players, or should I say jokers, on the stage.

Wondering, what is normal amp draw for this, would not think a lot more than 7.5???
    I can't completely answer that question, but from the wiring diagrams, there is a 30 amp fuse that ties into the circuit. Guessing that's the main high current power feed.

4. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't completely answer that question, but from the wiring diagrams, there is a 30 amp fuse that ties into the circuit. Guessing that's the main high current power feed.
    Hmmmmm that thing called a blower motor resistor raises the AMP draw & to slow the speed of the motor and is why the 30 AMP fuse is needed......with that comes heat as you observe on the contacts as the current flows through.

This is why I face palm when some asshole says that a consumer can save on electricity by turning their AC to low setting & happens to be from the utility company!
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Hmmmmm that thing called a blower motor resistor raises the AMP draw & to slow the speed of the motor and is why the 30 AMP fuse is needed......with that comes heat as you observe on the contacts as the current flows through.

This is why I face palm when some asshole says that a consumer can save on electricity by turning their AC to low setting & happens to be from the utility company!
    Great, now I'm puzzling on the "why" of this. Resistor is a parasitic part of the circuit?

Is this also to say the load of the motor alone may not actually be 30 amp at startup/max draw?

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, now I'm puzzling on the "why" of this. Resistor is a parasitic part of the circuit?
    See I knew that...........

Is this also to say the load of the motor alone may not actually be 30 amp at startup/max draw?
    WHAT WHAT WHAT

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeInSeatown View Post
    Old school, before controls were sophisticated enough to PWM the motor.

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

9. Likes PetrolDave, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Old school, before controls were sophisticated enough to PWM the motor.

-Uwe-

School time for these guys Uwe............

11. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    School time for these guys Uwe............
    PWM...sounds familiar.

And in the case in an electrical circuit, when a resistor is added, doesn't it lower the voltage and current flow? As the motors max load and current draw is constant, and power is voltage x current, wouldn't the resistor lower the energy consumption? All of which is an interesting but not necessarily pertinent academic exercise as the blower motor regulator on my vehicle is a PWM device, and not a resistive network.

But to get back to the main question, motor ran fine when I finally got it wired up to a 12v source. Now looking for a new blower motor regulator.

Post Thanks / Like
    And in the case in an electrical circuit, when a resistor is added, doesn't it lower the voltage and current flow?
    As the motors max load and current draw is constant, and power is voltage x current, wouldn't the resistor lower the energy consumption?YES
    NO...........heat through the resistor block dissipates to rid the energy burned but the load increases at lower speeds and is why when a resistor block fails, it was due to not enough cooling of air over the fins/heat sink, further to maintain the function bridge of the resistor essentially blows like a fuse and you loose lower fan speeds.

FYI blower motor resistors traditionally fail on a high degree of humidity set on a low fan speed and usually being a very hot day where AC was required.