Always ON Auto High Beam Feature

z1ts

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380297
Good day

I have a 2023 Touareg which has HBA as standard. I would like to have the HBA default to on but I can't find the “Assistenzlichtfunktionen-Fernlichtassistent Reset” from “aktiv” to “nicht aktiv” in the Adaptations list at all. Or anything that resembles it!

Did @Dana or @Uwe get anywhere on this?

My 'old' 2018 Skoda Superb had this setting which I was able to enable with VCDS and I'm really really missing it!

Oh first world problems hey?!

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Good morning,

I have not however I have factory HBA in our 2022 e-tron 55 (which uses nearly identical body/lighting modules as your MLBevo based T'reg) and spent some time looking for a way to disable it via menu like my e-golf via "Assistenzlichtfunktionen", "Fernlichtassistent", "Will Beam", "Reset" and similar searches. Don't get me wrong, it can be a nice feature on some roads but I don't like it when my car auto-high beams oncoming traffic. I prefer to control high beams myself.

Getting to the point, after searching I realized there was already a factory equipped menu for HBA in my MIB3! :facepalm: I had what I wanted the whole time (HBA off toggle) and didn't know it. That doesn't help you directly but knowing that a factory menu exists may make it easier to spot the text they used on this platform when digging through maps/scans providing that's not on the parameter level.

Here's the factory condition of mine:

I think that MIB menu exists due to address 09 experiential coding bit description "mmi_fla_glw_mxb" in Byte 5, Bit 0. With this knowledge you may have some success searching one of those individual acronyms? I'll report back if I stumble onto anything.

On a different note, does your T'reg have a factory MIB menu to turn off the easy entry rear lid? I had to disable that entirely in address 46 to prevent the boot lid from opening into our bike rack and it would be really nice to get that on a MIB menu so I could turn it back on when bikes aren't on the car. Yeah, another first world problem (but the ID.4 has that menu!).

z1ts

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380297
@Dana thanks for that - I'll investigate the MIB menu and see if I can spot any additional settings for HBA (I don't think there are but I'll double check!)

On another point, seeing as you may have come across this on your e-tron can you help with my question HERE? I've tried to follow the instructions floating around on the interweb like THESE, but they rely on "Controller 08 - HVAC" being present (which my T'reg hasn't got!)

I'll also dig around for the easy entry rear lid option in the MID for you.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
@z1ts Although this is the opposite of always on (I went the always off path) but my menus are:

Vehicle > Lights & Visibility > Presents me with Exterior lighting:

From Automatic Headlights I was able to turn off the feature entirely but Early, Med and Late are choices.

Unclear if there are any Last Setting / Retention of always on HBA additional features that can be added to those menus.

In regards to my off-topic easy entry rear lid menu question I have Vehicle > Central locking > Disable rear lid handle but all that does is disables the switch at the license plate so you can't open it from the outside:

The easy entry (key in pocket and proximity sensors) function still worked when that was on so it must be an anti hijack boot lock feature.

Reactions: Uwe

z1ts

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380297
Yes, I agree @Dana the options on those pics are identical to my Touareg.

A bit frustrating really as my 'old' (2018) Skoda Superb had all these things readily 'tweakable' but this swishy new motor is kind of clunky in some respects...!

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Long shot but... we know that HBA is a combo of 09 and A5 and in this case I suppose you may toss 5F onto that pile if the menu business is handled there. So one possible idea is to:

1) Run Measuring Value and Adp maps on the vehicle with the HBA enabled in the MIB. You could either do that manually by pointing VCDS to 09, A5 and/or 5F -or- by clicking Whole Vehicle bullet, ticking MVBs and ADP, Go and walking away.

Note, if you go Whole Vehicle make sure the hood was open before proudly walking away. Otherwise you come back 20 min later to find VCDS prompting you about the firewall and no progress was made.

Either way, save or move those maps into a new folder labeled HBA ON.

2) Toggle HBA off via MIB and repeat. Move files to a HBA OFF folder.

In the end you will have a pile of maps that could be compared to each other using software like Compare It! . As long as you weren't opening and closing doors, etc the only major differences should be whatever AdvMVBs and/or ADP values apply to the HBA on/off status. Providing you spot differences at all the exact text, IDEs and similar could be used to further search.

Reactions: Uwe

z1ts

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380297
Hee hee! We'll nail this @Dana !!!

I'll do all that & report back with my findings.

Just one thing - would you save as pre-label file, CSV or raw hex??

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Since the controllers all use the UDS protocol selecting Pre-label file will revert to CSV. I would select CSV.

Side note, Raw Hex files are intended to be used to restore the prior Adaptation condition so that format does not apply to Measuring Values -and- they lack most of the plain text results. They are good to have but not for this particular experiment.

z1ts

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380297
Haven't forgotten about this @Dana but getting me, my T'reg, my VCDS & laptop in the same place for half hour seems to be a near impossible combination at the moment!!!

I'll get there in a bit!

Back