Start up trouble

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
hmmm - maybe your Mac authority has an idea for me to try?
He's at a trade show this week.

i wonder if there's someplace with a "stronger" network i can drive to and test it... it's weird how inconsistent the CAN reading is across multiple tests. sometimes "Not ready" or "Testing" and other times "OK." How about you enable me to post on the product support forum to open it up to others... or better yet - put me in touch with someone over the phone?
Have you registered the product with us for support yet?

-Uwe-

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
i'm getting timed out now by the VCDS Cloud

Are you trying to perform a specific procedure? Where do you see these timeouts? What kind of signal strength do you have? Are you putting the HEX-NET under the dash, or using an extension?

St.Hubbins

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303569
He's at a trade show this week.

Have you registered the product with us for support yet?

-Uwe-

how can i register if i can't load either version of software on my MacBook? (see page 1 of this thread) the old Config Utility you linked me to has no registration option.

there are all kinds of specific procedures i'm trying - Steering Assist adjustment, Windows up/down FOB trick, etc... like i said before - i'm getting timed out now by the VCDS Cloud, even though my wifi connection reads good on the self test. also has ASAM updates ready, but when i click update it never budges from 0% loaded

the firmware update successfully loaded via the VCDS Mobile app, for what that's worth. and yes, HEX NET under the dash, no extension

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
How far are you getting into the procedure? A timeout could happen if the car is dropping the session, such as during an ignition cycle or possibly if it is rejecting a certain procedure. When you back out of the cloud after the timeout, is the session still active in vcds-mobile or do you get a timeout there as well?

St.Hubbins

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303569
session is still active - both lights remain green, and advanced test reads good in between each timeout. when i try again tonight, i'll write down exactly what it spits back, but it certainly doesn't kick me out of the app.

St.Hubbins

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303569
this is freaking ridiculous how hard it is to get this thing working... i finally gave up and borrowed a neighbors Windows laptop, downloaded the software, but when i follow the video and go to test, it reads:
CAN: testing, K1: NO POWER, K2: NO POWER

the HEX NET is plugged into the laptop, with both lights green indicating Infra Mode

what the frack?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
this is freaking ridiculous how hard it is to get this thing working... i finally gave up and borrowed a neighbors Windows laptop, downloaded the software, but when i follow the video and go to test, it reads:
CAN: testing, K1: NO POWER, K2: NO POWER

the HEX NET is plugged into the laptop, with both lights green indicating Infra Mode

what the frack?
It's not plugged into a car, right? So there's nothing to be had on the car side of the interface (CAN bus and K-Lines). If so, that's normal and not indicative of any problem.

-Uwe-

St.Hubbins

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303569
driver didn't properly install for some reason.

now i'm "up and running" with the PC plugged into the car, but my first attempts to tweak an adaptation kept saying "No response from Controller." finally it opened the controller (44 SteeringAssist), but wouldn't allow the tweak, asking for the security code i had already entered and had accepted. at about the 5th attempt, it let me select the channel and tweak the stored value... why is it playing so hard to get?!

more crucially, everything is still timing out with my iPhone VCDS Mobile App. Self-tests are reading good, but it keeps timing out trying to update ASAM data, or "VCDS Cloud has timed out" every time i try to open a controller. is your Apple guru back yet?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What driver? The HEX-NET enumerates as an HID device and doesn't need its own driver.

Since you're registered now, I'm moving this to HEX-NET support.

-Uwe-

St.Hubbins

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303569
i dunno, just following instructions from your video. the 2nd file in the download, whatever it was called, didn't complete downloading, so i tried it all over and everything seems to be working on the borrowed PC. pretty certain it said "driver"

so now how do i proceed with VCDS Mobile via iPhone? surely there are some Apple folk who have blazed this trail before me...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
i dunno, just following instructions from your video.
We have a bunch of videos. Which one are you referring to?

the 2nd file in the download, whatever it was called, didn't complete downloading, so i tried it all over and everything seems to be working on the borrowed PC. pretty certain it said "driver"
I'm confused. The VCDS download is one file.

so now how do i proceed with VCDS Mobile via iPhone? surely there are some Apple folk who have blazed this trail before me...
Now that you're registered, maybe you should call us. Andy is gonna hate me for mentioning his name, but he uses an iPhone. :D

-Uwe-

St.Hubbins

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303569
funny to me the Apple users are in the minority - always assumed the "techie" kids favored Mac. i'll call tomorrow and ask for Andy.

and believe me, i've watched pretty much every video from "getting started" to "registering" to "Cloud account" etc. - there were definitely two distinct files that showed up on the PC laptop download. can't recall the exact name of the file that didn't finish loading, as my head starts to spin after an hour of wrestling this stuff.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I said Andy uses an iPhone. I never said anything about Macs. We do have another guy who used to use Macs, but does not anymore.

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
everything seems to be working on the borrowed PC. pretty certain it said "driver"
Is that PC running Windows 10?

Both my Windows 10 tablets say that they need to finish installing the driver for HEX-NET, but as Uwe says there is no driver required so I just ignore the message assuming it's yet another Microsoft faux pas!

St.Hubbins

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303569
contact info for Andy? Apple/Mac, whatever... yes, Windows 10.

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I just came across this thread, former apple user here.

What version of OSX are you running?

are you wanting to use the iphone via tether? or AP mode? or connected to home router?

If you are planning on using a home router, what model is it? What type of wifi security?

What kind of car?

Reactions: Uwe

St.Hubbins

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303569
i may be out of the woods, but won't know until Ross-Tech's cloud issues are sorted out. talked to customer support today, and it appears the Windows launch worked and i'm all setup. at one point as i was on the phone with the tech, my iPhone (10.3.3) was able to connect to the cloud and i was able to open a module and change a setting. but mostly the Mobile app timed-out at various stages, and the tech was having the same issues with his setup.

i'm connecting to home wireless - car is a '15 GSW TDI. VCDS Mobile app reads up-to-date, and self-tests are usually reading good.

any tips you have are much appreciated.

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Are you using the IOS app or Safari with VCDS-Mobile?

St.Hubbins

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=303569
got the app off the apple app store. :0

Back