Thread: Upgrade The Forum?

Verified VCDS User ClassicWolves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Upgrade The Forum?

I personally think this forum needs to be upgraded to today's standards. vBulletin 4.2.3 is rather outdated. vBulletin 5.x.x is been out for some time and has much better mobile support. We need to bring the VCDS forum into the latest security standards of vBulletin, and mobile support. I think we all deserve the highest security of the newest vbulletin.
    ~Proud Jetta MK4 Owner~ 2001 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 AZG 5 Speed Manual.

2. Likes Ashraf6119, PetrolDave, Sebastian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I absolutely agree. Both the forum software as well as other measures need to be implemented properly in order to provide secure access as well as make sure personal information (email addresses, passwords etc.) are safe. Maintaining the forum software is a part of that, which means each and every security update must be installed (it's not just about a major update). Any update at this point should be accompanied by additional steps like proper SSL encryption as that is today's standard.
    Sebastian @ Ross-Tech.com // VCDS Rookie since 2003

»Nichts erweitert das eigene Wissen mehr,
    als die Meinung eines Andersdenkenden.«

Post Thanks / Like
    As I've said before this is the only forum I use where you can't add simple attachments like pictures. You have to join one of the many free picture upload site and add all your pictures then add the link. The same goes to text files.

Which I found our on my New User Keith

Which Uwe edited and removed my link.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Keith, please refrain from filling our forum with links to another forum, where your software is hosted as an attachment, that people can't download w/o joining that forum.

-Uwe-
    You don't need to join another forum to access the text file if they can be added as an attachment.

I know security is a problem on any forum.

The other thing is you can only edit a post that you make for 1 or 2 days after then you have to make a new post if you wanted to add more detail or change what was said in you previous post. Every forum I use you can edit your post with additional info. When saved it shows the time & date edited.

As it shows in this post I've just edited.
    Last edited by Keithuk; 10-26-2017 at 09:51 AM.
    New User Keith

2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

5. Likes Sebastian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicWolves View Post
    vBulletin 4.2.3 is rather outdated. vBulletin 5.x.x is been out for some time
    Yes, vBulletin 5 was already available when we started this forum, but the general consensus was that it wasn't ready for prime time.

At this point, if we were to undertake the pain and itch of a major migration, I'd be more inclined to go with XenForo that vB 5, but I don't see a terribly compelling reason to do so.

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    As I've said before this is the only forum I use where you can't add simple attachments like pictures. You have to join one of the many free picture upload site and add all your pictures then add the link.
    As I've explained before, that's not a limitation in the forum software. That's a conscious management decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Keithuk View Post
    The same goes to text files.
    Text can be pasted directly.

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

8. Likes Jetta ,97 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Text can be pasted directly.

-Uwe-
    I know text can be posted directly but that means any Tom, Dick or Harry that's browsing the forum can download anything for free.
    New User Keith

2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

10. Likes Sebastian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One suggestion that has been made in the past is using the spoiler function for Auto-Scans. Access to "hidden" content like that can be limited to certain user groups, so not everybody would have access and at the samt time it would avoid the attachment problem. Quoting parts of scans would also be much easier and in addition, viewing is a lot simpler and there are no downloads necessary to view the data. One of our distribs has done exactly that in their forum and it works like a charm...

FWIW, if I had to setup or migrate a forum - I would go to IPS these days. https://invisioncommunity.com

Verified VCDS User ClassicWolves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well migration is rather easy between vBulletin Systems. But to be honest the latest version of 4.x is 4.2.5, of course that is old too, but it wouldnt hurt to update to the latest 4.x, for obvious security reasons. Plus upgrading to the latest is free. Ive used vBulletin on forums for years til previous website i administered shutdown because forums weren't as popular as they used to be. an upgrade to XenForo or vBulletin 5.x would be a huge improvement of security and features, thou features arent that important
    ~Proud Jetta MK4 Owner~ 2001 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 AZG 5 Speed Manual.

13. Likes PetrolDave, Sebastian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another example, that the external hosting is causing troubles...

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthre...l=1#post110420

15. Likes ClassicWolves liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only seems like the other day we moved from the yahoo mailing list.

17. Likes Uwe liked this post