Upgrade The Forum?

ClassicWolves

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319721
I personally think this forum needs to be upgraded to today's standards. vBulletin 4.2.3 is rather outdated. vBulletin 5.x.x is been out for some time and has much better mobile support. We need to bring the VCDS forum into the latest security standards of vBulletin, and mobile support. I think we all deserve the highest security of the newest vbulletin.

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Personally, I absolutely agree. Both the forum software as well as other measures need to be implemented properly in order to provide secure access as well as make sure personal information (email addresses, passwords etc.) are safe. Maintaining the forum software is a part of that, which means each and every security update must be installed (it's not just about a major update). Any update at this point should be accompanied by additional steps like proper SSL encryption as that is today's standard.

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
As I've said before this is the only forum I use where you can't add simple attachments like pictures. You have to join one of the many free picture upload site and add all your pictures then add the link. The same goes to text files.

Which I found our on my New User Keith

Which Uwe edited and removed my link.

Keith, please refrain from filling our forum with links to another forum, where your software is hosted as an attachment, that people can't download w/o joining that forum.

-Uwe-

You don't need to join another forum to access the text file if they can be added as an attachment.

I know security is a problem on any forum.

The other thing is you can only edit a post that you make for 1 or 2 days after then you have to make a new post if you wanted to add more detail or change what was said in you previous post. Every forum I use you can edit your post with additional info. When saved it shows the time & date edited.

As it shows in this post I've just edited.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
vBulletin 4.2.3 is rather outdated. vBulletin 5.x.x is been out for some time
Yes, vBulletin 5 was already available when we started this forum, but the general consensus was that it wasn't ready for prime time.

At this point, if we were to undertake the pain and itch of a major migration, I'd be more inclined to go with XenForo that vB 5, but I don't see a terribly compelling reason to do so.

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
As I've said before this is the only forum I use where you can't add simple attachments like pictures. You have to join one of the many free picture upload site and add all your pictures then add the link.
As I've explained before, that's not a limitation in the forum software. That's a conscious management decision.

The same goes to text files.
Text can be pasted directly.

-Uwe-

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
One suggestion that has been made in the past is using the spoiler function for Auto-Scans. Access to "hidden" content like that can be limited to certain user groups, so not everybody would have access and at the samt time it would avoid the attachment problem. Quoting parts of scans would also be much easier and in addition, viewing is a lot simpler and there are no downloads necessary to view the data. One of our distribs has done exactly that in their forum and it works like a charm...

FWIW, if I had to setup or migrate a forum - I would go to IPS these days. https://invisioncommunity.com

ClassicWolves

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319721
Well migration is rather easy between vBulletin Systems. But to be honest the latest version of 4.x is 4.2.5, of course that is old too, but it wouldnt hurt to update to the latest 4.x, for obvious security reasons. Plus upgrading to the latest is free. Ive used vBulletin on forums for years til previous website i administered shutdown because forums weren't as popular as they used to be. an upgrade to XenForo or vBulletin 5.x would be a huge improvement of security and features, thou features arent that important

DGMotors

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57532
Only seems like the other day we moved from the yahoo mailing list.

Reactions: Uwe
Back