Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Registration fails on HEXNET wifi

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Registration fails on HEXNET wifi

I bought this some time ago, but it is apparently not registered. when I attempt to register it fails. When I load the software it complains that the verion of the config software is too new, to get the older version. Not sure how I can do that, and the firmware update fails to complete. I also cannot locate the email with the registration info, or any email from ross-tech about this purchase, etc. so I can't provide the date it was purchased. The serial number is HN1-002014.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Server indicates you have CB 0.4123.
    There's a big "hump" that needs to be crossed at CB 0.4200.
    Please have a look at this thread:
    http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?3757

Worst case, we'll give you an RMA, you send it in, and we'll update it for you.

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Server times out

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Server indicates you have CB 0.4123.
    There's a big "hump" that needs to be crossed at CB 0.4200.
    Please have a look at this thread:
    http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?3757

Worst case, we'll give you an RMA, you send it in, and we'll update it for you.

-Uwe-
    When I set this up (I'm an idiot, you dialog box said to use the browser, but anyway), the connection times out. All the LEDs are green, the IP on the HEXNET shows a .200.3 address, and I used my iPad which was in the same IP sub-net (200). I restarted the HEXNET (disconnected it, let it rest, reconnected it, re-established the network connection), no joy. Once, when I first got back to this, the HEXNET showed up and connected to the iPad via wifi, now it always fails to show up if I use the wifi connection type.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrobin View Post
    When I set this up (I'm an idiot, you dialog box said to use the browser, but anyway), the connection times out. All the LEDs are green, the IP on the HEXNET shows a .200.3 address, and I used my iPad which was in the same IP sub-net (200). I restarted the HEXNET (disconnected it, let it rest, reconnected it, re-established the network connection), no joy. Once, when I first got back to this, the HEXNET showed up and connected to the iPad via wifi, now it always fails to show up if I use the wifi connection type.
    Sounds like something on your network is blocking outbound connections. In order to contact our server for updates, the HEX-NET must have the ability to establish an outbound TCP connection on port 11000.

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Sounds like something on your network is blocking outbound connections. In order to contact our server for updates, the HEX-NET must have the ability to establish an outbound TCP connection on port 11000.

-Uwe-
    I get that the update needs an outbound connection, however I'm not getting the web interface because of the error. So I've not started the update, I cannot see anything from the HEXNET web server. I should be able to see the interface, nothing on the network would block communication on the same subnet from an HTTP perspective. Both devices are on the same .200 subnet (192.168.200.3 for the HEXNET, 192.168.200.4 for the iPad).

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    How are you trying to connect to this, tethering off the ipad, or using a router? It is possible your network configuration got reset after an update, can you check the wifi settings on your hex-net are still correct. Use the util, or flip it to AP mode and check it with a browser to see what profiles it has.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    How are you trying to connect to this, tethering off the ipad, or using a router? It is possible your network configuration got reset after an update, can you check the wifi settings on your hex-net are still correct. Use the util, or flip it to AP mode and check it with a browser to see what profiles it has.
    I am simply connecting the HEX-NET to my network using wifi, then using the iPad over wifi, so I'm using a router to connect. I have also tethered the HEX-NET to my windows 10 notebook via USB, which is how I'm able to setup the HEX-NET wifi. I don't know how to switch modes, on the wifi screen (via USB) it shows AP, on the Overview screen it shows Infrastructure mode. Was not aware the HEX-NET could be tethered off an iPad andnot sure what benefit that gives me over the Win 10 notebook. As I said earlier, I have the HEX-NET connected to the notebook and it shows the IP in the same subnet as the iPad (but not the Win 10 notebook).

As I also stated, I did connect to it once over wifi from the iPad, but since that time the app won't find it. That happened (the connection over wifi) when I had everything in the car and the HEX-NET plugged into the ODB2 port. All other tests have been with the HEX-NET out of the car.

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the HEX-NET connected to the notebook and it shows the IP in the same subnet as the iPad
    What happens if you put the interfaces IP address shown there into a web browser on the iPad (open safari, enter that ip in the address bar like it was a website)?
    If you can access the HEX-NET that way, the problem may be with the autodetect feature.
    The autodetect feature of the app uses UDP traffic, does you router have a firewall or security setting that might be blocking local UDP packets.
    What is your signal strength like when testing this?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I first used the link in the overview tab when on my Win 10 system, then typed in the IP into Safari on the iPad as you suggest. In both circumstances the browser appears to connect, but I get a message "server timed out". I'm connecting inside the network, all within the house. The router is just across the room, signal strength is maximum.

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you try running the V2.241 util found here: http://vcds-cloud.com/VCIConfigV2.241.zip
    And go to File -> Network Test and tell us the results.

11. Likes Uwe liked this post