Registration fails on HEXNET wifi

pgrobin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=244682
I bought this some time ago, but it is apparently not registered. when I attempt to register it fails. When I load the software it complains that the verion of the config software is too new, to get the older version. Not sure how I can do that, and the firmware update fails to complete. I also cannot locate the email with the registration info, or any email from ross-tech about this purchase, etc. so I can't provide the date it was purchased. The serial number is HN1-002014.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Server indicates you have CB 0.4123.
There's a big "hump" that needs to be crossed at CB 0.4200.
Please have a look at this thread:
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?3757

Worst case, we'll give you an RMA, you send it in, and we'll update it for you.

-Uwe-

pgrobin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=244682
Server times out

Server indicates you have CB 0.4123.
There's a big "hump" that needs to be crossed at CB 0.4200.
Please have a look at this thread:
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?3757

Worst case, we'll give you an RMA, you send it in, and we'll update it for you.

-Uwe-

When I set this up (I'm an idiot, you dialog box said to use the browser, but anyway), the connection times out. All the LEDs are green, the IP on the HEXNET shows a .200.3 address, and I used my iPad which was in the same IP sub-net (200). I restarted the HEXNET (disconnected it, let it rest, reconnected it, re-established the network connection), no joy. Once, when I first got back to this, the HEXNET showed up and connected to the iPad via wifi, now it always fails to show up if I use the wifi connection type.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
When I set this up (I'm an idiot, you dialog box said to use the browser, but anyway), the connection times out. All the LEDs are green, the IP on the HEXNET shows a .200.3 address, and I used my iPad which was in the same IP sub-net (200). I restarted the HEXNET (disconnected it, let it rest, reconnected it, re-established the network connection), no joy. Once, when I first got back to this, the HEXNET showed up and connected to the iPad via wifi, now it always fails to show up if I use the wifi connection type.
Sounds like something on your network is blocking outbound connections. In order to contact our server for updates, the HEX-NET must have the ability to establish an outbound TCP connection on port 11000.

-Uwe-

pgrobin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=244682
Sounds like something on your network is blocking outbound connections. In order to contact our server for updates, the HEX-NET must have the ability to establish an outbound TCP connection on port 11000.

-Uwe-

I get that the update needs an outbound connection, however I'm not getting the web interface because of the error. So I've not started the update, I cannot see anything from the HEXNET web server. I should be able to see the interface, nothing on the network would block communication on the same subnet from an HTTP perspective. Both devices are on the same .200 subnet (192.168.200.3 for the HEXNET, 192.168.200.4 for the iPad).

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
How are you trying to connect to this, tethering off the ipad, or using a router? It is possible your network configuration got reset after an update, can you check the wifi settings on your hex-net are still correct. Use the util, or flip it to AP mode and check it with a browser to see what profiles it has.

pgrobin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=244682
How are you trying to connect to this, tethering off the ipad, or using a router? It is possible your network configuration got reset after an update, can you check the wifi settings on your hex-net are still correct. Use the util, or flip it to AP mode and check it with a browser to see what profiles it has.

I am simply connecting the HEX-NET to my network using wifi, then using the iPad over wifi, so I'm using a router to connect. I have also tethered the HEX-NET to my windows 10 notebook via USB, which is how I'm able to setup the HEX-NET wifi. I don't know how to switch modes, on the wifi screen (via USB) it shows AP, on the Overview screen it shows Infrastructure mode. Was not aware the HEX-NET could be tethered off an iPad andnot sure what benefit that gives me over the Win 10 notebook. As I said earlier, I have the HEX-NET connected to the notebook and it shows the IP in the same subnet as the iPad (but not the Win 10 notebook).

As I also stated, I did connect to it once over wifi from the iPad, but since that time the app won't find it. That happened (the connection over wifi) when I had everything in the car and the HEX-NET plugged into the ODB2 port. All other tests have been with the HEX-NET out of the car.

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
I have the HEX-NET connected to the notebook and it shows the IP in the same subnet as the iPad

What happens if you put the interfaces IP address shown there into a web browser on the iPad (open safari, enter that ip in the address bar like it was a website)?
If you can access the HEX-NET that way, the problem may be with the autodetect feature.
The autodetect feature of the app uses UDP traffic, does you router have a firewall or security setting that might be blocking local UDP packets.
What is your signal strength like when testing this?

pgrobin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=244682
I first used the link in the overview tab when on my Win 10 system, then typed in the IP into Safari on the iPad as you suggest. In both circumstances the browser appears to connect, but I get a message "server timed out". I'm connecting inside the network, all within the house. The router is just across the room, signal strength is maximum.

pgrobin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=244682
I've been saying the server connection times out, but the error is that it has stopped responding. Sorry for the confusion. I just attempted it again and got the same error.

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Can you access VCDS-mobile from AP mode? While it's plugged in, push the red button to toggle it into AP mode, middle led should go amber. Now if you open your wifi settings on your ipad or pc, you should see the HEX-NET broadcasting its own network. Connect to the network and see if you can open it, either with the app or by ip, which should be 192.168.0.1 in ap mode.

crd4me

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261997
Hello,
I’m facing a similar issue since I’ve updated to the new vcds-mobile on app store. Before I was always using hex-net in infrasructure mode using personal hotspot from iphone and was able to acces vcds-cloud this way.
Now since the update, infrastructure mode works on home rooter, but can’t get it to work on iphone. AP works on good on both home wifi rooter and iphone wifi.
I forgot to say that when in infrastructure mode the hex-net gets to connect to the iphone through personnal hotspot (the top of the iphone screen gets blue and shows that there is a connection, but the app is not seeing the hex-net.
Thank you for the assistance.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hello,
I’m facing a similar issue since I’ve updated to the new vcds-mobile on app store. Before I was always using hex-net in infrasructure mode using personal hotspot from iphone and was able to acces vcds-cloud this way.
Now since the update, infrastructure mode works on home rooter, but can’t get it to work on iphone. AP works on good on both home wifi rooter and iphone wifi.
I forgot to say that when in infrastructure mode the hex-net gets to connect to the iphone through personnal hotspot (the top of the iphone screen gets blue and shows that there is a connection, but the app is not seeing the hex-net.
Thank you for the assistance.
That sounds like a problem with routing on your phone. I do not think it's the app, but rather iOS that's causing you these issues. To verify: Try a browser directly instead of using the app. If you you have the same problems with a browser, it's not the app...

-Uwe-

pgrobin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=244682
No interface found now, post update failure.

Uwe, I'm back. I got connected to the HexNet by putting both the computer, iPad and HexNet on my hotspot. I then used the iPad to connect and download the update. It went through the process, but a dialog appeared "update failed". Since then I can connect to the HexNet either through wifi or USB, but no interface is found when I test the connection, and I only have a flashing red LED on the HexNet. I ran the LED test and while the app said it was OK, the LEDs did not change, just keeps flashing red (the single LED on the other side from the red button). I re-downloaded the VCDS application to my PC, latest version (I'd updated it when I first ran it tonight), then plugged the HexNet into the car and connected from the PC, still nothing. I'd hoped I could find a way to re-update the HexNet, but that doesn't seem to be possible.

If you recall this HexNet dates from 2014, I've not updated it since I got it. So do you have any suggestions or is my best option to return it for replacement?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
If you recall this HexNet dates from 2014, I've not updated it since I got it.
Yeah, that one is just a wee bit behind.

BL to update from 24 to 28;
CFB to update from 9 to 10;
CB to update from 4123 to 4409;
FW to update from 214 to 254;
DS to update from 0x30 to 0x50;

So do you have any suggestions or is my best option to return it for replacement?
E-mail us (Support@...), confirm your return shipping address, and we'll get you an RMA. I'm confident we can beat it into submission here. :D

-Uwe-

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
RMA ticket generated for when pgrobin emails us.

RET?ID=5399

Reactions: Uwe

pgrobin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=244682
Email sent

Reactions: Uwe

pgrobin

Verified VCDS User