Thread: Audi A3 steering wheel into VW Rabbit

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Audi A3 steering wheel into VW Rabbit

Tried to install steering wheel from an audi A3 into a 08 Rabbit.
    The Rabbit is just a vinyl wheel without controls. I swapped everything - the clock spring, steering module and wheel/airbag. The result was "no communication" of the steering wheel angle sensor.
    The shifters actually worked but the volume controls did not.

I installed the Rabbit steering module back into the car and now the steering angle sensor is working, but of course none of the functions on the steering wheel work.

This leads me to believe that the actual pin-outs on the steering module is different on the audi vs rabbit.

Is there a module that will make the audi wheel work correctly? Maybe from a GTI or TDI Cup car?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rabbit Part numbers:
    Steering module: 1K0 953 549 BF
    Clockspring: 1K0 959 653 C

Audi Part Numbers:
    Steering Module: 8P0 953 549 K
    Clockspring: 1K0 959 653D
    Last edited by leftlanecars; 10-16-2017 at 08:56 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Northwest UK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please post an autoscan so we can see the errors.
    The software is likely to be different between the modules and likely to be coded differently. You'd also have to compare the wiring diagrams from Erwin of both vehicles to establish if the pinouts are the same, which is a must before retrofitting.

Verified VCDS User
    Melbourne, Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    leftlanecars: This question has been asked before - more generally. The A3 and my mk7 Golf are based on MQB technology so they share a common build platform. Here's a diagram comparing the CAN bus topography of the multi-function module in the steering wheel (in VWs) pre and post MQB cars for Golf vehicles:

I'm not sure about the specifics of the 08 Rabbit, but I suspect that the same dynamics will apply. So what the diagram shows is that in pre-MQB cars, the multifunction steering wheel module communicated as a LIN slave directly with the steering wheel module (J527). However, in MQB vehicles (like my mk7 and your A3 steering wheel) the multi-function steering wheel module (J453 in the diagram) communicates directly with the CAN Gateway module - as a LIN slave to J533 (albeit, the wiring is routed via J527 as in previous models).

Again, with the caveat that I'm translating Golf CAN network theory to your situation, but with the understanding that in both cases we are talking about fundamental changes that apply to MQB vehicles, my suspicion is that getting the cross wiring connections correct in your case won't help - I think!!

happy to be corrected in my hypothesis!

PS: Uwe - is the TLA "LIN" sufficiently credentialed to warrant inclusion on the forum lexicon?
    Last edited by DV52; 01-07-2018 at 03:21 PM.
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

4. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    PS: Uwe - is the TLA "LIN" sufficiently credentialed to warrant inclusion on the forum lexicon?
    Certainly. It's more-or-less an oversight that LIN wasn't in there already.

The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the steering wheel from an MQB platform A3 or an older PQ platform A3?
    Either the part number or a photo would confirm this.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|DAB RNS|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|Full colour MFD|Quad LED tail rings| Climatronics upgrade| Dynaudio retrofit | B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|TPMS Direct|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0