Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So Uwe.
Is there a way to change my mph to kph?
Not sure why someone requested my auto scan
So people could see exactly what instrument cluster is in installed in your car.

As far as I can see, there is no way to change it via diagnostics.

As I stated from the beginning, if your cluster is capable of showing a the speed digitally, there might be a way to change that, but if so, it seems it would be in the MFA menus or some combination of button presses, as indicated by Jetta, 97.

-Uwe-

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
So Uwe.
Is there a way to change my mph to kph?
Not sure why someone requested my auto scan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 17: Instruments Labels: 3C0-920-xxx-17.lbl
Part No SW: 3C0 920 971 F HW: 3C0 920 971 F
Component: KOMBIINSTRUMENT VD1 1216
Revision: V0002000 Serial number: 00000000000000
Coding: 0007205
Shop #: WSC 00028 028 00001
VCID: 28090631EEF98AB733A-807C

No fault code found.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not posting an Auto-Scan is sort of like going to the vet, but leaving the dog at home. The vet be like :confused:. If there is no Auto-Scan posted, I can safely assume the car in question is a 1998 Beetle because there is no documentation to prove over wise. But with the Auto-Scan, as you've posted, we can clearly see this is a 2008 Passat.

Looking at the instrument cluster, I can see our coding options for that part number look to be the following:

00??x05: Options
+01 = Brake Pad Warning active
+02 = Seatbelt Warning active
+04 = Low Washer Fluid Warning active
00xx?05: Country
1 = Europe (EU)
2 = USA (US)
3 = Canada (CDN)
4 = Great Britain (GB)
5 = Japan (JP)
6 = Arabian States
7 = Australia (AUS)

At best, you could change your coding from 0007205 to 0007035, this goes from "2 = USA (US)" to "3 = Canada (CDN)". I would expect the odometer to be in KM, but I'm not sure this cluster gives a live vehicle speed in the LED/LCD display.

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
I know 3c0 cluster have a way to display km/h speed as digital. Seen it on many cars from Lithuania with UK cluster mixup. How i do not know. Msybe some user manual or YT will help.

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Not posting an Auto-Scan is sort of like going to the vet, but leaving the dog at home. The vet be like :confused:. If there is no Auto-Scan posted, I can safely assume the car in question is a 1998 Beetle because there is no documentation to prove over wise. But with the Auto-Scan, as you've posted, we can clearly see this is a 2008 Passat.

Looking at the instrument cluster, I can see our coding options for that part number look to be the following:

00??x05: Options
+01 = Brake Pad Warning active
+02 = Seatbelt Warning active
+04 = Low Washer Fluid Warning active
00xx?05: Country
1 = Europe (EU)
2 = USA (US)
3 = Canada (CDN)
4 = Great Britain (GB)
5 = Japan (JP)
6 = Arabian States
7 = Australia (AUS)

At best, you could change your coding from 0007205 to 0007035, this goes from "2 = USA (US)" to "3 = Canada (CDN)". I would expect the odometer to be in KM, but I'm not sure this cluster gives a live vehicle speed in the LED/LCD display.
That is just to display Kmh, but to have Digital Kmh showing how many Kmh you driving , I explain it in my other post .

BTW you made mistake ,
from 0007205 to 0007035
Need to be 0007305

Jetta 97
I did try this but still shows mph.

You are doing something wrong, You must have Kmh when you do second solution. But it will not show till you start moving car, and it will be where odometer show miles.

I have done this 100 times and every Passat has it.

Last edited:

Apexmaster33

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=318501
Thank you for all the feedback is it possible to adjust the speedometer I have connected my car to the torque app on my phone my GPS is showing. My speedometer is off by 5 miles per hour also my engine coolant temperature on the application is showing 170 but on the car gauge showing 200 which one is the true engine coolant temperature

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
My speedometer is off by 5 miles per hour
At what speed? In which direction is it off?

also my engine coolant temperature on the application is showing 170 but on the car gauge showing 200 which one is the true engine coolant temperature
VW coolant temperature gauges are notorious holding the needle steady at 190-200F for a broad range of temperatures that VW considers normal. They have done this for a couple of decades now to keep customers from fussing at them about fluctuating engine temperatures.

-Uwe-

Apexmaster33

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=318501
so my speedo is off by 5mph higher then it should be. so when going 60 im actually going 55 mph.
also is there a way to change at what PSI the low tire pressure light goes off? i like to run my tires at 32 psi cold sometimes little less when it is raining . but when i put at 32 i get the TPMS light . i needs to be over 34 i think.
as far as the coolant yes my needle stays at 200 sharp. but in reality since the app is getting a reading via OBDII i thin it is more accurate. I also have a boost/vacuum gauge on the app. does anyone know what is the max boost this turbo runs at, and at what RPM it starts to spool? it feels like it kicks in around 2700 rpm. I have a HPS air intake so it also starts to whistle around there.

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
so my speedo is off by 5mph higher then it should be. so when going 60 im actually going 55 mph.
also is there a way to change at what PSI the low tire pressure light goes off? i like to run my tires at 32 psi cold sometimes little less when it is raining . but when i put at 32 i get the TPMS light . i needs to be over 34 i think.
as far as the coolant yes my needle stays at 200 sharp. but in reality since the app is getting a reading via OBDII i thin it is more accurate. I also have a boost/vacuum gauge on the app. does anyone know what is the max boost this turbo runs at, and at what RPM it starts to spool? it feels like it kicks in around 2700 rpm. I have a HPS air intake so it also starts to whistle around there.

You can play with last 2 digit on your instrument cluster coding to get lower difference in speed .

If you spend 2 min on ross-tech wiki you would find how to chnage tire pressure:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Passat_(3C)_Tire_Pressure_Monitoring

Uwe explain you above about temperature. That is the way VW and most other manufactures is doing range from 170-215 will be always at 190 or 200.

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
That's more-or-less normal. On some clusters, there's a documented way to choose different "Distance Impulse" values (the number of pulses per km from whatever generates the vehicle speed signal). On yours, I don't see anything like that. If it were my car and I wanted to play, I might try changing the last digit of the coding just to see what happens, but I don't know for sure and it's at your own risk if you do so.

also is there a way to change at what PSI the low tire pressure light goes off?
Have a look at Adaptation channels 5 through 8 in the TPMS.

as far as the coolant yes my needle stays at 200 sharp. but in reality since the app is getting a reading via OBDII i thin it is more accurate.
Correct. A quick reality check is to let the car sit overnight then check the coolant temp with the scan too. It should be within a few degrees of ambient.

I also have a boost/vacuum gauge on the app. does anyone know what is the max boost this turbo runs at, and at what RPM it starts to spool? it feels like it kicks in around 2700 rpm. I have a HPS air intake so it also starts to whistle around there.
I suggest you log requested and actual manifold pressure in MVB 115 of your ECU using VCDS.

-Uwe-

Apexmaster33

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=318501
So for tpms I did this but it is locked or security locked

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yeah, but when you go to the Security Access function and wait a few seconds, VCDS should give you a helpful hint.

-Uwe-

Back