2003 eurovan axk misfire

smaddock

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=313780
Thanks for the explanation about timing, if been working through the VW self study program, but it leaves out a lot.
Tried SAE oil combo, no help, oil pressure is good, while warm, idle 2 to 1.8 bar, 2000 rpm 3.6 bar. I also changed the filter, old filter was very clean, no junk, and nothing else came out with the oil. (metal shavings or timing chain guide rail chunks)
0x01-04-094, gas and brake, rpm goes to 2300, phase position cycled 0 to 52 kw back to 0, sys okay in 03.
I have logged the phase angles while driving, actual vs specified and there is an occasional momentary difference, but they seem to match with in .5 all the time.
When I did output tests, I could here the solenoids clicking, also tried 12v shock treatment, they clicked but no change in misfires.
Idle is very smooth, no misses or hunting, and is around 700 rpm when warm. Never stalls.
Thanks again,
Steve

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I doubt this is timing chain related if test passes.
Did you try running new redundant grounds to each coil pack?

smaddock

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=313780
Yes and ohmed them out with a multimeter, they are all around .3 ohms. I also swapped some of the coils around and that did not seem to change anything.
I do wonder about the knock sensors themselves. I checked them, bolts seem tight and not corroded. One odd thing is in 01x08x26 and 27 which is undocumented, but the generic explanation talks about knock sensor voltage, when I look at it all cylinders except 4 and 5 as having around 2 volts. However cylinders 4 and 5 voltages are around 4 volts. Looking at another AXK engine, all these fields were in the 2 volt range. Any idea what this actually measures?
Also when the misfires are showing up in VCDS the engine seems to be still running smoothly, does not noticeably jerk while driving. But ECU says all knock sensors are good.
Steve

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Knock sensor tests are in 0x01-04-028

Measuring resistance of the ground wires may not suffice.

Coils could be getting hot and if ground bus is shit it will cause misfires as aforementioned!

smaddock

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=313780
I meant I ran redundant grounds from the coils to the negative battery post and them ohmed them out to make sure I had a good connection. Agreed about the ground bus, it can cause weird stuff. I also have some addition ground wires between the battery, alternator and the engine block, just to keep them all honest.
Steve

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Have you tried fogging the intake with a good long BG44K type chemical cleaner and running some marvel mystery oil or BG MOA in intake afterward?

Are injectors new or original?

What is age of the FPR?

What is the TV throttle angle when in deceleration and in misfire condition?

Is Evap or LDP in error or just not made yet in 070 and 071 when tested?

Do conditions improve for misfire if driven with MAF or FPR unplugged?

What is the status of ADP values in channels in 0x01-10-001-014?

Last edited:

smaddock

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=313780
MAF # 0 280 218 017
0x01-10 1 through 11 are all 128, 12 is 255,13 is 0,14 is 0
Also 0x01-08-208-3 is -8 kw
0x01-08-209-3 is -10 kw, thinking this might be the problem.
Fuel pressure and injectors are good.
Steve

FPR and injectors are original, fuel pressure checks good.
Have not fogged intake manifold, but have cleaned throttle body and adapted several times.
All readiness checks show passed fairly quickly after reset, also 70 and 71 pass.
Disconnected MAF and there was no change, will try FPR, also will record TV angle during misfires.
Steve

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I'd fog the intake and if that didn't help I'd take off intake and inspect valves for carbon deposits and remediate + change injectors.

Last edited:

smaddock

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=313780
I'll try fogging tomorrow, any brands of the BG44K you recommend? Also not familiar with BG MOA but I do have some Marvel Mystery oil.
As to the TV angle what should I look for? I've watched and logged it, what would be some indications that it is the problem?
I have much of this info on a large excel spread sheet from the log file but not sure how to post it, how would I post it?
Thanks,
Steve

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
The TV sticking open from a base throttle valve point of TQ request load>>>>>>>>>>> to deceleration.

Back