Door warning light (stupid but fun).

LowTech

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
None
Hello everyone,

My name is Andre and I'm from Sweden. I just recived my new Passat Variant B8 2018 TDI 190HP.
I like to put some personal touches on my car, just so it is not like everybody else's :)

I have always driven Volvo before so this is my first VW as a company car.
As I have a friend whom is nutz for VW got me a present;
Door warning lights with logo projector.

Only one problem can't get them to work.
My new Passat has original LED warning lights that takes about 10mA.
The ones I want to put in are also LED takes about 300mA.

When I put in the new ones they only glimmer for a short while and then they go off.
First I thought I burned a fuse, but when I put in the original they work as before.

Is there any setting or any way to code in these new LED warning lights with VCDS?
I have the possibility to use a HEX2 interface at a friends friend's garage.
But he did not know how to do it or even if it was possible.

Can anyone help?
IMG_0121.jpg

FullSizeRender.JPG

Best regards and thank you in advance André from Sweden (sorry for the bad spelling)

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
André: Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have the greatest admiration for multi-lingual folk - don't worry about spelling. My observation from my short time on this forum has been that the written word here is correctly used as a means of communication - it's not used as an arcane art form that requires correct spelling! Besides, I can't see any spelling errors - but then I can't spell either and I'm the first to admit that English is an unnecessarily difficult language to write- is Swedish phonetic? See, even the English spelling of the word "phonetic" isn't phonetic - what a crazy language!

Anyhow, back to your excellent question. Have you looked at a WD (hover your mouse over the term "WD" to see what it means) for the Passat? From my understanding of your observations, it seems that either the door control module (j368/j367), or less likely, the BCM is going into current-limiting mode to protect the lower door lamp circuit (MQB vehicles tend to use electronic protection devices, rather than traditional fuses).

If the light in question is controlled directly from the door control module - resetting the the protection threshold current for the LED circuit might be problematic. Of course if you were sufficiently motivated, you could always power the new "batman-signal" lamp via an external relay which is triggered by the existing LED wire (@ a load of 300 milliamps, all that's needed is a small PC type relay which normally has a high resistance coil).

But as I have said, the WD is the probably a good place to start your journey (I think)

Don

Last edited:

LowTech

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
None
Thank you Don for those kind words :)

And No, Swedish is definitely not phonetic, we even have som extra letters like å, ä and ö.

So Don, you don't think it would be possible to increase the output amp?
I think the old Passat had "regular" lamps in their warning lamps.
Thats why they could just interchange to the "bat signal", but maybe they were connected differently.

Will have a look at the WD. Also found a lot of other tweaks here on the forum for the Passat. Thanks again Don.

Great Forum!

Back