HEX-NET: Logging, Dropped Connection, 3-VIN?

notuva

Reaction score
A few questions regarding HEX-NET functionality:

With regards to logging, can the HEX-NET unit, either with VCDS Mobile or Desktop, log entirely on its own? i.e. in VCDS Mobile's stand-alone mode, can I start a log, then turn off the phone, or start a log wirelessly via the desktop, and close the lid, and have the HEX-NET write the log to internal memory--or must the logs always be effectively written on a host/companion device?

What happens generally, or let's say in the case of logging, if in fact the connection is severed and the unit doesn't support running on its own? Would it be the same as if I had yanked the USB cable in the middle of an operation? i.e. Something Very Bad?

And are there any plans for a 3-VIN HEX-NET?

Thanks!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
With regards to logging, can the HEX-NET unit, either with VCDS Mobile or Desktop, log entirely on its own? i.e. in VCDS Mobile's stand-alone mode, can I start a log, then turn off the phone, or start a log wirelessly via the desktop, and close the lid, and have the HEX-NET write the log to internal memory--or must the logs always be effectively written on a host/companion device?
Yes, in principle, you can. It's initiated via Mobile. However, I don't think very many people have used this capability and we haven't got a whole lot of real-world feedback as to just how well it works on various cars and control modules.

What happens generally, or let's say in the case of logging, if in fact the connection is severed and the unit doesn't support running on its own? Would it be the same as if I had yanked the USB cable in the middle of an operation? i.e. Something Very Bad?
It's a standard diagnostic session/connection. Nothing happens except the logging stops. Without continued requests for new data, the control module from which data is being logged would just close the session after a few seconds.

And are there any plans for a 3-VIN HEX-NET?
No, that would not be economically feasible for us.

-Uwe-

Back