Actuator adjustment possible with VCDS?

notuva

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm a DIYer looking to repair my IS20 turbo on a MK7 Golf. Specifically, I need to adjust/calibrate the position of the "open" and "closed" positions of the actuator rod for the wastegate. I was hoping to figure out whether VCDS can help me out here, and, if so, how it works.

I noticed this thread, which, coincidentally, works through exactly what I'm looking for:

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...wastegate-actuator-on-CHPA-1-4lt-TSI-MK7-Golf

The procedure is described in post #8. But could someone help me decipher whether I'm reading it right or how the adjustment actually works? It looks like there are two key settings I would need to perform:

IDE05192: Test for replacing turbocharger servo-motor, and
IDE04304: First adaptation of charge pressure actuator

From what I gather, the first test allows me to set the lower stop for the rod by reading out the voltage for the current lower stop position as I'm adjusting it. But what about the upper stop; i.e. how is the upper stop position determined? And what is the point of the "First adaptation" action, which I supposedly need to run if the lower stop is out of the spec range?

Essentially, I am hoping to be able to set the upper and lower stops for the rod, so as to indicate to the ECU how far it needs to push/pull on the rod to open/close the wastegate.

Can the VCDS help me out with this? Even if you're not familiar with this turbo part or those settings, could someone help me dumb down those instructions on how the test/adjustment should be performed?

Thanks for your time!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I gather you do not yet have VCDS?

It might be useful to state what model year your car is and exactly which engine it has.

-Uwe-

notuva

Reaction score
Reactions: Uwe

notuva

Reaction score
I realize it may be difficult to help me here without VCDS in hand. Would anyone be able to chime in with just a yes or no as to whether this ought to be possible? That's enough for me to go on for now. The reasons for picking up the V2 are adding up quickly anyway.

Also, would writing these values to the ECU invalidate some checksum in software and possibly jeopardize my warranty? I don't want to pull one over my dealership (I actually like mine!), I'd rather be up front with them. I just wonder whether even mentioning that I tampered with this would force them in a position to invalidate my warranty, should I need them for something I can't address myself. I found some threads about this in the past, but they seemed to involve things like coding DRLs and seatbelt chimes and some such, not the engine.

Thanks again!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What exactly are you trying to accomplish here, and why?

-Uwe-

notuva

Reaction score
Don't know how to explain better what I'm trying to do than in my first post. I'm looking to adjust the actuation points. Under hard acceleration, I get an EPC light, likely from adjusting the actuator--now I don't know where exactly the "stock" position is to set it back.

I'd also like to recalibrate the actuator to different positions and measure how it affects boost pressure, which is why I want to adjust the lower and upper stops.

As for why? I'm just interested in all this, and I learn best by trying things out.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
On that basis, I'd say you should definitely get VCDS so you can at least log what's going on with boost pressure (requested vs. actual) and the positioner. I'm not aware of anyone who's tried to re-learn or adjust this stuff on that particular engine with VCDS, so I'm not going to guarantee success with that.

BTW, is your ECU stock or is it chipped? If chipped, whose product?

-Uwe-

notuva

Reaction score
On that basis, I'd say you should definitely get VCDS so you can at least log what's going on with boost pressure (requested vs. actual) and the positioner. I'm not aware of anyone who's tried to re-learn or adjust this stuff on that particular engine with VCDS, so I'm not going to guarantee success with that.

BTW, is your ECU stock or is it chipped? If chipped, whose product?

-Uwe-

ECU is stock.

If the rod isn't re-adjusting/re-learning the positions, what do you think is meant by the post I linked, where NETech writes "After this min and max positions should be saved in ECU."? And wouldn't the "...adaptation..." setting suggest that new values are being written for adjustment/adaptation? Like I said, not looking for a guarantee, just trying to understand if I'm reading this correctly.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
ECU is stock.

If the rod isn't re-adjusting/re-learning the positions, what do you think is meant by the post I linked, where NETech writes "After this min and max positions should be saved in ECU."? And wouldn't the "...adaptation..." setting suggest that new values are being written for adjustment/adaptation? Like I said, not looking for a guarantee, just trying to understand if I'm reading this correctly.
I think you're reading it correct, but remember, that's not the same ECU, engine, or turbo that you have.

-Uwe-

Back