Dashboard Disruption

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I've gotten to spend time in cars that have run almost the complete range of VW/Audi's "infotainment" systems, and I'm pretty "meh" on all of them, and IMO, car makers should stick to making cars and systems that are related to driving those cars. E.g. Adaptive Cruise Control -- it rocks. Set it for whatever speed you'd like to cruise if there were no traffic and it takes care of the rest. But it HAS to be tightly integrated into the car's systems. The phone/data/entertainment/nav doesn't, and in fact, the phone I already have with me does all of that better than any system I've seen integrated into a car. So car makers, are you listening? Instead of your stupid screen, give me a blank spot which will comfortably hold my phone, provide it power (preferably wireless, there's a standard for that), and let it stream audio and do hands-free telephony via BT. The only hard part is figuring out how to attach various phones. Velcro will work, but set some mechanical engineers to it to see if you can't come up with a more elegant solution that's reasonably universal.

Oh, and some reliable USB power outlets (capable of 2.1A each) would be nice too; I've got all kinds of stuff that I'd like to be able to charge on long trips and stinking adapters into 12V lighter sockets sucks.

/rant :)

-Uwe-

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
YES. All of the above.
I think all of the MMI functions could be moved seamlessly to the DIS.
And voice control can do 90%+ of all the knob functions.

As a smoker [SHHH, don't tell the people who want to take away my liberties :rolleyes:] I never use the cigarette lighter.
It's filled with yet another gadget and cable!

Short of velcro'ing the phone to the headliner I can't even find enough space anywhere to attach it.
At least that won't make it a projectile....

As an engineer, I want solid stable code on the vehicle components.
/rant

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
As a smoker [SHHH, don't tell the people who want to take away my liberties :rolleyes:]
Don't get me started! It pissed me off badly when VW stopped offering ashtrays in their cars in the US (although last I looked, Audi still does). I switched to vaping back in December, and now even that's under attack in various localities and in the media. But you can still smoke in my bar if you wish, and anyone that doesn't like it can GTFO. ;)

Short of velcro'ing the phone to the headliner I can't even find enough space anywhere to attach it.
At least that won't make it a projectile....
It's funny how older cars tended to have a spot that was suitable, but newer ones rarely do.

-Uwe-

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
(although last I looked, Audi still does)
On some models.
$100k and this 5 butt contraption is what I got:

Ashtray_A8_zps6b38be6f.png

Quickly replaced with this after pliers used to break off 'holder', which keeps the vehicle smelling decent:

tray_2_zps14b47dc9.png

you can still smoke in my bar if you wish, and anyone that doesn't like it can GTFO. ;)
[placeholder for 1920's silent movie still of man smoking dozens of cigarettes]

It's funny how older cars tended to have a spot that was suitable, but newer ones rarely do.
For phones or cigarette packs ?
And just where can you put a beer can these days anyhow... between the alleged ashtray and the phone/cable/charger all the cup holders are used.... sheesh....

EDIT: Neither I nor Ross-Tech endorse drinking and driving

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
I'm a mechanical engineer (with a 3d printer even!) but velcro plus a fairly cheap product that covers an even cheaper looking factory analog clock, does the trick for me:

5FHRy.jpg

I'd like to take Uwe's idea one further, instead of a place to mount your phone, how about just a touch screen mirror of what's on the phone in your pocket or in the charging cradle in the center console or whatever? I want a big, easy to see screen, that has the navigation/music/etc apps that I'm used to using on the phone.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Man you got gyped on the clock!

ME with a 3D printer you say - almost as dangerous as an EE with a reflow :D

ps- That airbag idiot light drives me crazy(er?)

2013-Audi-A8-L-clock.jpg

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
It looks like Proclip has a mount for your A8 but not in as convenient of a spot:
854606-4.jpg-800x

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I want a big, easy to see screen, that has the navigation/music/etc apps that I'm used to using on the phone.
Some of us already have phones with big, easy to see screens. Too bad Apple refuses to make such phones. :p

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
It looks like Proclip has a mount for your A8 but not in as convenient of a spot:

Thanks Andy! I'll look into that and see how close to the knee airbag it attaches.
Most of the time I just put the phone upside down in my shirt pocket and press the button for Siri.

Some of us already have phones with big, easy to see screens. Too bad Apple refuses to make such phones. :p

My progression:
- iPhone is, wait for it, a phone. Easy to hold and carry in my belt holster, good for the occasional email, text, etc if I can get in the right part of my bi-focals
--- also works amazing well with VCDS-Mobile - can see and press the buttons
- iPad Mini is the next step for casual browsing, squinting sometimes required
- 2560x1440 27" monitor if I really want to see something

Had a Galaxy Nexus for awhile, it would fly out of my hand trying to reach my thumb to the other corner :(

Do not want:
Phablet_zps141c1336.png

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
iPhone [...] if I can get in the right part of my bi-focals
- iPad Mini is [...] squinting sometimes required
Have you heard of Superfocus glasses?
I've been wearing them for about 3 years now. Yeah, they look a bit strange because the lenses must be round in order to do what they do, which is to give you a much wider field of vision and let you set the focus for the entire field. They're not cheap, but they have a risk-free 30-day trial, so you decide they're not for you, send 'em back for a refund.

-Uwe-

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
I've been wearing them for about 3 years now.

Calling them Monday morning.

I have regular, computer, reading, sunglasses, sunglasses with bifocals, etc and can't see well with any of them.
Nothing worse than accidentally going to the store with single vision lenses - I buy a lot of things by color or shape...

These sound like they will fit the bill perfectly.

Thanks Uwe!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Looks like there is a competitor called Adlens Focuss.
I like the more rectangular look, but they aren't available yet.
Interesting. I'd really like to understand how they got that to work.

-Uwe-

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
They may be coming in 2014 with the iPhone6 ...

Seeing a lot of the same in the trade blogs.

If Apple comes out with a two handed phablet abandoning the smaller size, I've got some serious thinking to do....

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
I've been wearing them for about 3 years now.

Well crap....

http://encinitascomputerhelp.com/techblog2/?p=187#more-187
[Update 3/10/2014. Good news! SuperFocus still has signs of life.
I received the following email today:
"Superfocus is transitioning to a different business model.
As a result, the office is closed, production has been halted and no new orders are being accepted.
Product shipped to the company is being returned to the sender.
We plan to keep you advised as events unfold."

Stay tuned for more, and read the comments section to learn experiences and alternatives of other Superfocus customers as this drama continues to unfold.]

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yeah, I saw some rumors like that shortly after I posted the link. I'm very unhappy about that because I do NOT care to go back to "normal" glasses. However, I can't say I'm entirely surprised either, and not it's not because their products weren't any good. Oh sure, they had some issues early on, and possibly on-going as well, but the Bauhaus pair currently on my face has been there all day, every day, for over a year, problem-free, and my optician will tell you I'm not easy on glasses. :D

-Uwe-

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Had seen varying reports as well, but this one gentleman whom I trust is very happy with them three years on so I was willing to go for it.
Will wait to see if I ever hear back from them - it's still the best solution out there.

People tend to think I'm a bit eccentric anyway, so maybe one of these is in my future:

SP_Glass_1_zpsd6ae52e3.jpg

SP_Glass_2_zps88259616.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Back