Pit of no return (evaporator duct) Golf Jetta MK5

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
How hard is to reach the bottom part of the central top duct where the evaporator is located?

I believe I dropped something in there but I can't get used to my endoscope camera.

I can easily dismantle the whole radio and hvac console.
XGfjzt8.jpg

And both bottom lateral plastic panels.
cs2BbIZ.jpg

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
Yes, it can be sucked. It's a small plastic piece.

But as I have no idea what is inside that duct I am afraid to damage something or suck something important :|

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Attach tape to a hanger and go fishing or reduce a vacuum line hose attached to a smaller vacuum line to suck it up.

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
Thank you so much for your tips but without any light inside the duct or not knowing where to go it's like walking on a maze blindfolded.

I will try this approach only if it is impossible (or a PITA) to reach the duct from the bottom.

So, how hard is to reach the duct from the bottom?

(VW really enjoys building their cars around the Evaporator/Heater-Core/Central HVAC ducts.)

Last edited:

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
Well next time install tape over barriers you don't want stuff to fall into.

I was being honest when thanking you for your tip :)

The part I am looking for is a broken plastic piece/clip from the top vent that broke and felt while I was removing the central top air vent.
mb3pQuw.jpg

So, using tape was impossible. I could close the flap but at the time I didn't even know what was below the vent.

I heard the clip falling so I dismantled the whole central console (Radio/HVAC) and those lateral bottom panels to get a good visual from below.

After that I found nothing... So, my next guess is that the clip felt of into the central HVAC duct.

That's why I said: "it's like walking on a maze blindfolded". Because I don't even know if the piece is there.

I didn't look immediately for the broken plastic piece/clip so it could even been shoved below the carpet (left or right side) while driving but my guess is that it is in the central HVAC duct.

To conclude, this is not only about the broken plastic piece/clip. I like to know how to dismantle cars because it helps on repairs. Leaving a car in the mechanic to replace the evaporator and in the process the mechanic breaks the entire dash is not my kind of repair.

Reactions: Uwe

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
This was the first time I looked closely to all the parts of the top vent dash assembled out of the car...

... and I realised that if the clip broke while removing the top air vent it is impossible for the broken piece to get into the duct because the duct is still attached to another inner part meaning that the only possible way to reach the duct is from the front central air vent.

So, maybe the broken piece is below the carpet.
VjXbYiO.jpg

Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Well before removing plastic parts such as this, the RTFB should be observed and I like to take a heat gun to make things a little more flexible when prying.

Ever consider your pry location was incorrect?

Use the force Vasco and feel for things.........it is not something a Wookie has or can do but in time a Jedi can be made if closing ones eyes and working blind with the feel or the force.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

/\

Let me explain better.......Uwe just hit me with the paper look.....:rolleyes:

Yup that's how I see it, because I take full responsibility when I break one too, so there is no other reason for me or anyone to blame.
It is part of the job, something's just are not going to come out nice & no matter what, in those situations I break them and just install new.

Sometimes "time" versus the pain of contortion or a rattle going forward, are just not worth it for me or ultimately the customer.

OP : That vent top there should be reinstalled with strip calk ........it doesn't rattle, it secures great and you can't see it & it is reversible.

Last edited:
Back