computer requirements clarification

MLB

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=348541
Hi, I just finished renting a HEX+CAN interface as a try-before-buy exercise, and it went well, using my work laptop (Win7 EliteBook).
But I thought I read here on the forums (cant find it again) that its inadvisable to use a computer you don't own for your purchased RossTech cable, because the licensing somehow gets tied to the computer, and if you change the computer...?

As a Mac computer guy, I consider it a significant expense to buy a unitasker pc laptop. I don't have a mac laptop, only desktop iMac, and that would require re-formatting the computer just to add a boot camp partition, and still no joy with car in garage and computer in home office. Not enthusiastic about either of those options. of course a platform independent browser based version would seem ideal to me, such as what Bentley did with the manual for my D2 S8. Pipe dream, I know.

Anyway, if a 3VIN limited cable can be used with any and multiple pc laptops, then all is well. otherwise it may be a dealbreaker for me.
Thanks for any advice.
--Michael

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
The licence is tied to the cable, not the computer.

I use my HEX-NET cable on at least 3 different computers depending on what is most convenient at the time.

MLB

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=348541
Great! Thanks PetrolDave!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
But I thought I read here on the forums (cant find it again) that its inadvisable to use a computer you don't own for your purchased RossTech cable, because the licensing somehow gets tied to the computer, and if you change the computer...?
That only applies to VCDS-Lite, which is used with a "dumb" interface and license is a file that's specific to the particular PC that VCDS-Lite is being used on.

With all interfaces we have sold since early in 2004, the license for the software is embedded in the interface and is specific to the serial number of the interface, not the PC the software is run on. This allows you to use the software on an arbitrary number of PCs since the software reads the license info from the interface.

-Uwe-

MLB

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=348541
Thanks Uwe,
I have considered the VCDS-Mobile (use with iphone6), but was advised by a Ross-Tech employee that I might not have full wireless functionality for my 2011 Q5?
But that my 2002 S8 should be fully supported in wireless mode...
Thanks
--Michael

itavaltalainen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=178722
Afaik some stuff doesn't work in mobile app.

I'd suggest you buy a cheap old x86 based netbook or small laptop on ebay if you want to use it with a feature not available on net mode. Sure you can get something for significantly below 100$.

Back