HEX-NET unable connect to hidden Wifi network?

mod65

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=316270
I'm unable to get my HEX-NET to connect to my hidden Wifi network.
Once I configure my AP to broadcast the SSID, the HEX-NET connects
fine. Is this limitation by design?

FW: 0.254.0

Thanks in advance.

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
I also confirm. If you click on the "blank network" you will only be asked for the password.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Moving this to the HEX-NET specific section.

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
My WiFi network doesn't transmit the SSID and my HEX-NET connects to it with no problems.

Reactions: Uwe

mod65

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=316270
Okay, so it must be something specific to my environment then. For reference I have an
Apple AirPort Time Capsule AP with WPA2 authentication.
Appreciate the replies!

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
You could try disabling wireless N mode, as a test, if you have that option on that router (might be called like b/g only compatibility mode or something). If it works with N disabled, it helps pinpoint where the issue is. If you are using the wireless N mode with other devices, this may not be a suitable workaround, but it would be good to check as a test.

--Shaun

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Are both 5ghz and 2.4ghz using the same SSID?

gawied

Developer
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
Hi mod65

Do you use VCDS Interface Config Utility to configure your interface? If yes, you will run into the same problem as what Vasco Ferraz confirmed:

I also confirm. If you click on the "blank network" you will only be asked for the password.

The problem is that there is be no way to enter your hidden SSID and the Hex-Net need to know the SSID to connect to it.

You have two options:
1. You said that you can connect to your Wifi network when it is configured as normal, i.e. not hidden. Setup your Wifi AP again like that. Configure your Hex-Net to connect to it, using the Config Utility. Test it and when everything is working as expected, set your Wifi AP to be a hidden network - just tick the box next to "Create hidden network" in Airport Utility and leave all the other settings as is. Your Hex-Net will then connect to your hidden Wifi network.
2. Put your Hex-Net in AP mode - you can use the Config Utility to do that. Then connect directly to it using your phone or tablet. Then configure your network options via the VCDS Web interface - Options->Network Options. Select the profile with the blank name and then use "Advanced Profile config" to enter the name of your hidden SSID.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Gawie

Back