Hurricane Irma

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Don't know how long this link will work, but it is the visible sunset loop of Hurricane Irma today from the new GOES-16 weather satellite:

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/online/loop.asp?data_folder=goes-16/mesoscale_01_band_02_sector_05&width=1000&height=1000&number_of_images_to_display=200&loop_speed_ms=160

mesoscale_01_band_02_sector_05_20170905210953.gif

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Keep in mind that GOES-16 is still not officially online yet. These are from Colorado State University, who have early access to the bird during the testing phase.....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Since I own property in Florida that already took a good beating from Matthew 11 months ago, I'm a little on edge about this one...

The big question right now is when/where it turns north. The models are far from certain about this. Some have it coming up the east coast of the peninsula while others have it trashing the Keys going a bit into the Gulf first. :confused:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
RTFB the insurance policy for changes since last claim.........firm up on coverage maybe?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Did anyone see the last 60 minutes on how the insurance companies screwed people on 90% of claims after hurricane Sandy?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I can think of a few it's called H.A.R.P. ........... or Cobra weather dominator.

Hurricane Irma Leaves Scientists At 'Loss For Words'

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...ss-for-words/ar-AArnqtk?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp

Hurricane Irma made landfall on the small island of Barbuda as a Category 5 hurricane Wednesday as it heads toward the U.S. Virgin Islands and Florida.The size of the storm left hurricane and weather scientists speechless. “I am at a complete and utter loss for words looking at Irma's appearance on satellite imagery,” wrote Taylor Trogdon, a scientist at the U.S. National Hurricane Center‏ on Twitter.

Irma strengthened to a Category 5 hurricane Tuesday with winds up to 185 mph. The storm is most powerful ever recorded in the Atlantic Ocean. It’s so strong it is even showing up on scales for measuring earthquakes.
“No way to sugarcoat it. Irma is the type of tropical cyclone that wipes everything, including all vegetation, clean from small islands,” wrote Anthony Sagliani, the Meteorological Operations Manager at weather data firm Earth Networks.
AArno6y.img
© Provided by IBT MediaThe hurricane is expected to hit the U.S. Virgin Islands on Wednesday.
Florida Governor Rick Scott said Tuesday that Floridians should heed mandatory evacuation orders. Florida Keys officials said mandatory evacuations will begin for the small island chain's 80,000 population.
The U.S. Navy has ordered more than 5,000 military personnel, contractors and their families to be evacuated from Naval Air Station Key West.
The storm follows Hurricane Harvey which made landfall in Texas August 25. The damage from Harvey, a Category 4 hurricane, could cost between $150 billion and $180 billion in damage Texas Governor Greg Abbott said last weekend. Some 60 people lost their lives in the storm.
Read more: First Harvey, now Irma—is climate change to blame?
Congress is expected to debate a roughly $8 billion aid package to help in the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in its Harvey recovery efforts. The damage from Irma could add to the cost of emergency spending by the government.
President Donald Trump will be directly impacted by Irma as his 11-room $28 million Caribbean mansion on the island of St. Martin is directly in the hurricane’s path.
The U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration warns the storm “will bring life-threatening wind, storm surge, and rainfall hazards” to the Virgin Islands and the U.S. territory of Puerto Rico Wednesday.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
If only I didn't have a conscience...

I was just doing some math, to capitalize on panic buying down south. The local Home Depot here in New Yorkistan has 182 sheets of 1/2” plywood on the shelf, with a price of $18.05 if you buy quantity 72+.

Coincidentally, the 3,300 kg mass of said 182 sheets is the maximum cargo weight that my race car hauler can transport. (Boy, did I pick a bad week to give up imperial measurements!) ;)

No real financial risk, since Home Depot will take the returns of any unused merchandise with a receipt.

Is it worth the hassle to see how many I can sell in Georgia/Florida at $38/sheet, for a $3,200 profit after fuel? Maybe generators are more profitable per pound? Bottled water most definitely isn't worth the trip.....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Floridians use 3/4", like this:

D2XIMw6.jpg

:p

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
19mm (3/4") plywood is 50% heavier to transport, sells locally for 2X the price of 12mm (1/2"), and is currently not in stock at Home Depot in large enough quantities where getting a trailer load would require visiting several stores.

In all seriousness, watching the panic buying down there makes me think that it might not be a bad investment to grab a few sheets of 19mm (3/4") and pre-cut them for the windows at our house. Leave them in the garage up in the rafters, and see if my in-laws turn them into a bathroom floor like they did with my 25mm (1") sheet of leveled primo marine plywood that I had set up as a chassis jig table in the garage..... :facepalm:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yep, the piece in my picture is pre-cut and pre-drilled and attaches to 6 studs with wingnuts. A couple of people looked at me kinda funny when I put it up just before we left there ~3 weeks ago....

Mike R

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Administrator
VCDS Distributor
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=126524
As a Hurricane Nerd, I feel the need to make a few corrections. The STRONGEST hurricane in the Atlantic has not been Irma but in fact Hurricane Allen, of the 1980 Atlantic Hurricane Season. And while it may not have been as devastating, Hurricane Patricia blows every other storm recorded in the entire world out of the water. 215 MPH (345 Km/h)

Harvey holds no records, it's estimated be the 3rd costliest Hurricane behind Katrina and Sandy.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
As a Hurricane Nerd, I feel the need to make a few corrections. The STRONGEST hurricane in the Atlantic has not been Irma but in fact Hurricane Allen, of the 1980 Atlantic Hurricane Season.

As a weather/geography geek who is has also taken a few cruises in the area, let me clarify what they really meant. For those Irma statements, they consider the Caribbean and Gulf of Texaco to be separate basins from the Atlantic.

Per the "Allen" Wikileaks :) article above (Hi, Shiela Jackson Lee!):

"By August 5, Allen intensified into a Category 5 hurricane while south of Puerto Rico."

Anything south of Puerto Rico all the way to the coast of South America is a part of the Caribbean, hence their statement that Irma is the strongest Atlantic Basin hurricane ever recorded is arguably factual. It didn't explode until after it left the open Atlantic and entered Mar Caribe.

But, it most certainly qualifies for a lies, damn lies, and statistics footnote.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
According to my sister, schools in coastal Georgia are closed from Friday through next Tuesday. The governor ordered mandatory evacuations of every place east of I-95 in the entire state effective 8:00 AM Saturday. All of the major computer models are passing the storm over coastal Georgia as of the 5:00 PM storm reports.....

Back