The NostraJackAss make a reality wish thread.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Have a wish or something you really needed?

Make a wish here and describe why you want that wish in brief request or detailed.

You never know maybe someone will grant it................. ;)

I'll go first..............

I think it would be neat for everyone to get together worldwide from this forum and have an epic VAG event...... I wish that could be possible.
The event would be totally free and only permitted for private RT members and their family of this forum.
Nothing would be sold and lots of free food, so no underlined agenda.
I would even teach a brief technical class as have others paid to teach, so guys could write off the expense as an essential training in the automotive field.
Call me crazy but that is what I want after I keep thinking of this "operation cupcake" idea.

Yeah amendment ..........

Gate pass will be your interface & to be authenticated!

Last edited:

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I want to be able to retrofit the MQB platform as easy as it was on the B6/B7 platform.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
1381599553_CheneyHeart-1.jpg

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
oh, also, an amarok-r.

With no 6-speed manual gearbox available anywhere in the world? Am I the only person who feels that putting an automatic slushbox into any performance-oriented vehicle is a bigger crime against humanity than dieselgate?

The only VW that I would ever seriously give consideration to owning right now would be an eGolf, or maybe an AWD TDI 10-cylinder Passat with a 6-speed gearbox and clutch pedal if the Easter Bunny were to drop one on American soil. Yes, the eGolf comes with an "automatic" transmission...but it's a one-speed and I cold live with it knowing that the tradeoff was made for technical reasons and not just customer laziness.....

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Am I the only person who feels that putting an automatic slushbox into any performance-oriented vehicle is a bigger crime against humanity than dieselgate?
No you're not, IMHO ALL performance vehicles should have manual shifters as one of the main pleasures in driving is coordinating throttle, clutch and shifter to make shifts smooth and seamless - letting either a slushbox or some mechatronics do it just isn't right.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I just want the same golf r as in germany.
What's different about a the Golf R sold in Germany? OK, you can probably order with a sunroof there, but aside from that?

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
What's different about a the Golf R sold in Germany? OK, you can probably order with a sunroof there, but aside from that?
They got a mild power bump this year along with the mid-cycle refresh, and the power bump (along with some other minor bells and whistles) isn't coming to NAR.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
IMHO ALL performance vehicles should have manual shifters as one of the main pleasures in driving is coordinating throttle, clutch and shifter to make shifts smooth and seamless - letting either a slushbox or some mechatronics do it just isn't right.

k35ZU.jpg

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
With no 6-speed manual gearbox available anywhere in the world?

Sorry, manual transmission was an implied/non-spoken requirement :)

Yes, the eGolf comes with an "automatic" transmission...but it's a one-speed and I cold live with it knowing that the tradeoff was made for technical reasons and not just customer laziness.....

My volt is one of those single speed/infinite transmissions and it works well and very smooth/quiet. I like it alot.

I haven't driven an e-golf yet, but if they made an e-golf-r (golf-ER!?!?), I'd be all up in that shit.

-Uwe-

yeah aside from performance differences, there are different lighting (ie LED's etc), sunroof as noted, bigger multimedia screens, more individual options you can choose, slightly updated platform mk 7.5/8 or whatever is current now.

It's like the US is a couple years behind euro, and it seems like all we get is the left over scraps from a couple a years ago.

That or it takes extra years for the boat to bring them over.

to update my wish list;

- manual golf r with either supercharged vr6 or audi 5 cyl.
- manual amarok-r same above.

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
I wish VWoA wanted more than >4% of the US market share.... to stop treating the US market like a red headed step child... on a rented mule.

Take a place like New Zealand... population of about 4.7 Million Kiwis running around drinking L&P and eating pies. Now look at New York City, population of about 8.5 million. Explain to me how a country smaller than a US city gets Transporter, Caddy, Amarok, Polo and Scirocco?

Now part of it, as I understand it, NZ kind of says "good enough for Australia, good enough for us", so the VW New Zealand can piggy back off of the Aussies' market. Lets look at how many people are in the Mad Max fan club... just over 24 million people there eating Vegemite.... so between New Zealand and Australia, we have total population close to 29 million (rounding up some).

So, 29 million potential customers for VW work with.... pretty good odds a bunch of those people will want a Transporter or Caddy. Now lets look at the US market... with only 325 million people, you would think VW might be able to sell a few more vehicles IF they actually offered them.

I'd jump on a Golf R Variant if it was offered in the US... but hey, 3.5% market share is good enuff. :banghead:

And a side note... why does it take MONTHS to get an ordered car? It is a sold unit.. build it, ship it. I thought that modular platform crap was suppose to help. :banghead:

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Take a place like New Zealand... population of about 4.7 Million Kiwis running around drinking L&P and eating pies. Now look at New York City, population of about 8.5 million. Explain to me how a country smaller than a US city gets Transporter, Caddy, Amarok, Polo and Scirocco?

...because they have governments that aren't owned by lobbyists, who keep stopping the repeal of the 1960's knee-jerk "chicken tax" as a protection for American auto workers from a European invasion.

As for the little deathtraps, I guess that their sales projections are not showing it as profitable to jump through the North American hoops for crash/environmental testing. Does anyone have last year's Fiat 500 sales figures?????

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Explain to me how a country smaller than a US city gets Transporter, Caddy, Amarok, Polo and Scirocco?

Now part of it, as I understand it, NZ kind of says "good enough for Australia, good enough for us", so the VW New Zealand can piggy back off of the Aussies' market.
Right, and as I understand it, Australia says, "good enough for Europe half a decade ago, good enough for us".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Australia just adopt the Euro 5 emissions standards, which have been mandatory in Europe since 2009?

I don't know what Australia does for safety standards, but my guess is, they take a similar approach: "If it's good enough for Europe, Japan, or the US, it's good enough for us?"

Whereas in the US, we have our very own set of both emissions and safety standards, and it costs many millions to certify that a car model (and each drivetrain in that model!) meets those standards.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I wish VWoA wanted more than >4% of the US market share.... to stop treating the US market like a red headed step child... on a rented mule.

Now part of it, as I understand it, NZ kind of says "good enough for Australia, good enough for us", so the VW New Zealand can piggy back off of the Aussies' market. Lets look at how many people are in the Mad Max fan club... just over 24 million people there eating Vegemite.... so between New Zealand and Australia, we have total population close to 29 million (rounding up some).

So, 29 million potential customers for VW work with.... pretty good odds a bunch of those people will want a Transporter or Caddy. Now lets look at the US market... with only 325 million people, you would think VW might be able to sell a few more vehicles IF they actually offered them.

I'd jump on a Golf R Variant if it was offered in the US... but hey, 3.5% market share is good enuff. :banghead:

And a side note... why does it take MONTHS to get an ordered car? It is a sold unit.. build it, ship it. I thought that modular platform crap was suppose to help. :banghead:

Jeff: As a card-carrying "Vegemite eater and Mad Max-denier" I'm not sure that it's simply a matter of numbers - as I think Uwe is suggesting (albeit market size is a prime determinant of market wealth in a mass production industry like car manufacturing). Fact is that the VW group is such a global monolith that loss-of-market -share in any one country is not mission critical (notwithstanding the importance of NAR models in the VW stable). I recall reading somewhere that VW had something like 25 factories around the globe and as you are aware, a VW factory is like a mini city!!

As for how VW makes decisions about which models to place in which market, my long held belief (based on nothing more than an uniformed hunch) is that the controlling share holders (descendants of Ferdinand Porsche) are a meddlesome lot and I'm also suspicious of the part played by Germany as a blocking shareholder. VW tout this unique decision making arrangement as the reason for the stability of the company, but it must also be responsible for some of their more weird choices that constantly bewilder most of us mere mortals!

But in the end, it undoubtedly comes down to return on monies invested - and if history tells us anything, it is that the good Burghers at the helm of the company are ruthless where profits are concerned!

Don

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Right, and as I understand it, Australia says, "good enough for Europe half a decade ago, good enough for us".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Australia just adopt the Euro 5 emissions standards, which have been mandatory in Europe since 2009?

I don't know what Australia does for safety standards, but my guess is, they take a similar approach: "If it's good enough for Europe, Japan, or the US, it's good enough for us?"

Whereas in the US, we have our very own set of both emissions and safety standards, and it costs many millions to certify that a car model (and each drivetrain in that model!) meets those standards.

Uwe: If I may be allowed a correction - your characterization of Australia's approach to safety might be a tad too harsh!

Perhaps a better way to articulate Australia's philosophy on the adoption of safety standards is "we won't be the first, but we won't be the last" ;)

Don

Rembrant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230053

Is it that VW doesn't want it, or America doesn't want it?

As long as gas stays dirt cheap in the USA, I don't think anybody will be willing to give up their 15mpg F150's and Silverados.;)

Back