C?ID=248920
My laptop died how do I put my hex net/VCDS-Mobile on to a new computer

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Exactly. The license(s) live in the HEX-NET, not on the computer.

-Uwe-

refueler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=248920
One other thing I never really got the hex net to work fully. I could log onto the cloud and view logs that were uploaded. But I could not access the other functions with the hex net. Will downloading the program again allow me to start the process over again.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
No, the VCDS program has nothing to do with that.

If you're having trouble with VCDS-Mobile, please describe in more detail.

-Uwe-

refueler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=248920
When I first set the hex net up I tried to do it using a kindle fire. I'm afraid that was not a wise decision. I've inherited my wife's iphone and that works much better. Now that I've started looking at using the hex net again to access tha other functions instead of dragging the laptop out. I was watching the video on setting up the hex net and I don't think that I ever got it set up right. When I try to configure it the list of 8 I think what are up addresses doesn't come up. I don't think I'm on the right page because in the video the only option is the configure button and when I try the update button is there to

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
If at all possible, please do the WiFi configuration using the PC-based utility; it's much easier.

-Uwe-

refueler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=248920
Thank you I'll try that wish me luck I'm about as computer literate as a hammer you will hear from me again

refueler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=248920
I have another problem the laptop that I purchased to replace the other laptop and installed the hex net program onto has a problem. The problem is with the mouse pad and the geek squad is telling me to trade it in for a new machine. Is there a procedure to solve this problem or can I just download the program again.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I have another problem the laptop that I purchased to replace the other laptop and installed the hex net program onto has a problem. The problem is with the mouse pad and the geek squad is telling me to trade it in for a new machine. Is there a procedure to solve this problem or can I just download the program again.
Yes, your license to use VCDS is embedded in your HEX-NET. This means you can download, install, and use VCDS on any computer that you wish.

-Uwe-

refueler

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=248920
The next question is should I delete the vcds program from the laptop before I turn it in to get a new computer? I probably should have planned ahead and asked this question in the first post.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The next question is should I delete the vcds program from the laptop before I turn it in to get a new computer? I probably should have planned ahead and asked this question in the first post.
No need to delete VCDS. It doesn't do anything useful without an interface. But you may want to have a look in your Logs and Scans folders and grab whatever you've got there for posterity.

-Uwe-

Gary

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=30906

I think it's time to Bite the Bullet and buy a new machine. :)

mojo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192415
No need to delete VCDS. It doesn't do anything useful without an interface. But you may want to have a look in your Logs and Scans folders and grab whatever you've got there for posterity.

-Uwe-

I'm doing the same thing - moving to a new laptop.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just copy and paste the whole of the Ross-Tech directory (from the root of the Windows C: drive) straight into the new machine - or will that screw up the config if a virgin copy of VCDS has just been installed on the new machine?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Is there any reason why I shouldn't just copy and paste the whole of the Ross-Tech directory (from the root of the Windows C: drive) straight into the new machine - or will that screw up the config if a virgin copy of VCDS has just been installed on the new machine?
Well, Uninstall won't work because you won't have any registry entries telling it what to uninistall. No big deal really.

You also won't have desktop or Start Menu short-cuts. Oh, and if you're using a "legacy" interface, you'd have to install the drivers for it manually. You can certainly do that, but I think it would be better to properly install VCDS on the new machine, then copy & paste the some of the sub-folders; Logs and Scans being the most important, but Debug and Scaling couldn't hurt either.

-Uwe-

mojo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192415
Will do - thanks.

BTW... I know the software development world hopes that Linux will just go away and die, but is there a good guide somewhere about getting VCDS running under Linux (Mint, latest version)? I've tried the link in the FAQ (IIRC) from a couple of years ago about getting it working under Wine, but it didn't work for me! Really would like to crack that one as VCDS is literally the only thing that I have to build my laptop top run Windows for (as well as dual-boot to Linux) and it's just a pain...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Will do - thanks.

BTW... I know the software development world hopes that Linux will just go away and die, but is there a good guide somewhere about getting VCDS running under Linux (Mint, latest version)? I've tried the link in the FAQ (IIRC) from a couple of years ago about getting it working under Wine, but it didn't work for me! Really would like to crack that one as VCDS is literally the only thing that I have to build my laptop top run Windows for (as well as dual-boot to Linux) and it's just a pain...
Not that I am aware of.

I think the biggest hangup was the drivers for the FTDI chip in the "legacy" USB interfaces.

Someone who likes to play with Linux might want to try again with the a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET, on USB both enumerate as HID devices, and the HEX-NET can communicate via TCP/IP / WiFi.

-Uwe-

Back