Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
I've lived in the Seattle area for many ye-, okay way too long. Since the early 90s there was a radio station that put itself on the map by playing "B sides" and lesser known tracks, along with a mix of newer bands that played acoustic or at least not shitty music. (103.7 for anyone around here, but with mega media corporations I'm sure this is repeating itself in every major metropolitan area in the country.)

I mean when I think of Pink Floyd the last friggin track I want to hear is "Money". Again.

Then they started playing Tears for Fears. Every day. And more 80s stuff that was best left in the 80s. Not that I hated Tears for Fears back in the day and hearing them every once in a while would put a smile on my face. Then they fired the popular DJs and played straight up 80s and then lately it became a pop station. Okay, I'm done with that one.

That leaves a couple of Classic Rock stations. The problem with classic rock is that it's become like Oldies stations: THEY DON'T MAKE ANY NEW OLDIES!!!!". Same shit different day, every day. And now classic rock stations are just like it. Same mix of Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin. If I was a DJ I'd take a life.

I'm in limbo. So there's no station that supports my needs. I went on a camping trip with a group and one of the guys there had continuous tracks of some really good stuff. I asked him about a radio station and he gave me one. There's some seriously weird shit on there, say 10 tracks of WTF for every "hey that one isn't bad".

The music on my z10 was getting pretty dry after commuting 80 miles/day via motorcycle. So I signed up for the free version of Spotify and I also hooked up with 7digital and have found some of my own B sides from the past to hold me over temporarily.

Old stuff I have some Bad Company, Dire Straits, Bruce, Supertramp, Styx, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Ray Vaughn and of course some Dark Star Orchestra.

Of the "newer" stuff I have some Amos Lee, Matt Kearny, Jason Mraz, John Mayer.

I need more. Point me in the right direction.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
http://www.boomerradio.com/

http://www.sky.fm/

One or the other is on pretty much 18 hours a day here.

Both have a wide selection of music.
Boomer has some non-intrusive ads, but I have the premium Sky subscription which is ad free.

No idea what new music there is - I mostly listen to Sinatra and music of that era with some '40s mixed in.
The last time I was in a movie theatre I saw The Electric Horseman.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Sinatra? Jeezus, I said old not ancient.

Just busting your balls. I'll look up those links.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Sinatra? Jeezus, I said old not ancient.

Then you best not put any Sinatra, Crosby, Como, or Dino on when I've had a drink or five.
Since I know all the words I've been known to sing along and cause small birds to fall out of nearby trees...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Not a fan of the music, but good move. ;)

"It's amazing what you can get done when you say 'Money is no object' and you mean it!" (not sure if that quote is exact, but you get the drift).

How about some Johnny?

McSpiffy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224526
New Frontier - Donald Fagen

McSpiffy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224526
Steely Dan/Donald Fagen - I keep all their albums on an SD card in my car . . . guaranteed excellent cruising tunes!

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Steely Dan/Donald Fagen - I keep all their albums on an SD card in my car . . . guaranteed excellent cruising tunes!

I keep them on everything - my JukeBox is too full of Sinatra and Dean Martin though <flaps just trembled>

Edit:
Re my previous post about Sky

N7lvB2F.png

<cranks Sinatra>

Last edited:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Sometimes everything old is new again.

When I was in my late teens, still living at home (call it 1994 or thereabout) my younger sister came running up the stairs excited to tell us about the records she'd dug up in the old dusty collection in the basement. I guess playing with the record player was new and interesting for her, since they were already long-gone as a mass-market media by then.

She says to my mother, "I found this awesome song, it's called 'Stairway to Heaven'... have you heard it before?"

My mother allowed that she may have heard it once or twice.

Jason

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
How about some Johnny?
I love me some Johnny. I think I'm among a lot of younger people who were introduced to him when he covered Nine Inch Nails "Hurt". He just takes that song and makes it into this amazing emotionally resonant autobiography. Even Trent Reznor freely acknowledges that. If you don't tear up a little watching that video, there's something wrong with you. So many feels. :( It did, however, lead me to listen to the stuff from his youth which I really enjoy now.

Jason

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
I failed to mention Steely Dan. I have a smattering of tracks from Can't Buy a Thrill up through Gaucho.

And Ironically I had downloaded "Folsom prison" and "the wreck of old 97" which my dad used to listen to. Damn if that didn't take me way back.

Had a break through just a few hours ago. In the Boxster I bought recently there was a Pioneer double DIN touch screen. "Great" except that I couldn't get it to pair with my phone (that and you don't care about music under 50mph in the boxster and can't hear it above 60). Turns out the emergency brake wire was never hooked up which defeats you from watching DVDs on the road and also from setting up paired devices.

Had a guy from Best Buy pull the stereo and leave it hanging, then I got home and installed a toggle switch to fake the parking brake function. Paired up with my Blackberry z10 and now I have music I can hear between 50 and 60 mph. Awesome.

edit: oh, and just located "hurt" by johnny on Google Play. downloading asap.

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Johnny Cash it outstanding! I have several of his albums from various stage of his career and have a Pandora channel for him. Anyone remember this commercial?

Nissan built a big plant in Smyrna, TN hence the reason why they were likely able to lure that good ole TN boy into doing the ad.

If you guys haven't seen Walk The Line, I would highly recommend it. Joachim Phoenix doesn't have a voice that sounds exactly like Johnny's, but somehow he has a raw pain and hurt in his voice that just mated perfectly with the songs.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490

Saw this today .... programmer or SD fan?

6yfGGbk.jpg

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Saw this today .... programmer or SD fan?

Or he sold a LOT of pretzels from push carts to buy that...

Arg.... now I want a street pretzel, and lunch at The Brass Rail !

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
... or:

Official_Pretzel_Inspector.gif

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
When I was a kid, Philly was full of soft pretzel vendors, and they cost 10 cents each, or three for a quarter. No extra charge for mustard.

-Uwe-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back