MK6 HVAC controls in MK5?

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=313143
Is it possible to retrofit the HVAC controlls from a mk6 (or 2010 jetta) into a mk5 Jetta?

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
You can in the Golfs, but I don't know how.

I've seen it on Google somewhere.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Yes possible. Done that.

Relatively simple except, if you have a fresh air flap done with two motors. That will never work properly. If you only have one motor (MY2008 onwards usually) then that part is not a problem either. Flap housing can be changed to single motor one but sourcing the flap housing will be a problem. I had to buy the complete unit that is installed inside dashboard just to get the housing. Also the swap was really tedious without removing all the dashboard stuff around it. But can be done without dismantling it completely. Just needs a little patience and small hands :)
Also new radio/clima facia is needed but can be found easily from ebay.
Some wiring changes involved as well. But very simple to do.

More info here :
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-on-a-MKV-on-a-RNS-510-Screen-installed/page3

BUT, you won't be able to make it work completely error free without also upgrading the cluster to white or color BAP cluster. It will raise a function restricted due to missing message error in climatronic as it won't be able to communicate properly with comfort bus devices. I did not see any changes in how the climatronic works but the error comes all the time.
After I upgraded to color MFD it went away.
Also if you want to have all the features the swap provides, you need to have a radio that supports the new climatronic as well. Means RCD510, RNS510, RN315 or RN310 or similar.

Oh and you are talking about mk5 climatronic to mk6 climatronic? Climatic (semi-automatic) conversion is not possible to do.

kamold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241363

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
^ That is so true.

One thing to note as well that mk6 Climatronic also incorporates air quality sensor controlled air recirculation. But it requires the air quality sensor which is not usually available on the mk5 climatronics.
There are some Fahrenheit Mk6 climatronic panels without the automatic air recirculation, but I've not seen any without on celsius versions.

You can get the air quality sensor and wiring through Aliexpress. They're like 15$ there.

kamold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241363
You can buy as a kit with the sensor and the trim, I think its a good upgrade :)

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=313143
I don't have Climatronic so the auto won't work for me. I'm not interested in the Climatronic. I'm more talking about the controls from the 2010 Jetta. While still a MK5, it had the electronics of the MK6. Here's a pic.

2010-volkswagen-jetta-interior-photo-354669-s-1280x782.jpg

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
It is possible if you add new motor for it.

Blade3562

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=310127
Interested in the Mk7 style(I believe it's actually facelift Scirocco/Eos) into a MkV platform. I found the kits, but nothing really on directions. I don't plan on adding the air quality, and can get the Climatronic panel without. It will be going into a 2007 Eos (red mfd no bap). Trying to figure out what all I need to purchase/prepare for. I feel like it's really going to make me happy with the look of the center stack. Right now the dual LCD climatronic looks awful and dates the car. I have an RCD330+ and Mk7 steering wheel already just looking for the last touches to make it feel more like my golf.

Already have an AH CAN Gateway, and if a bap cluster is required that's on my list of upgrades. I like the color display :D

Last edited:

kamold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241363
The best thing about the new style climatronics panel - it has an adaptation channel for 'staging' ;)

Apart from that I think it matches an updated interior better than the mk6 style eg if you've put in colour cluster, new steering wheel etc.
You just need to swap pins 16 and 20 on the 20 pin connector (they are different gauge wires so just cut and rejoin them in order for the panel to remember the settings, otherwise it will just always start with AC on and low temp setting.

Blade3562

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=310127
Alright, so I got the updated climatronic unit in from a NAR Passat(model that doesn't have auto recirc/air quality). I haven't swapped pin 16-20 yet as I want to make sure everything works first. I'm currently having an issue that I'm not sure if it existed with my original unit. (I can reinstall the original to test). No fault codes except for the missing ones caused by no BAP cluster. When recirc is turned on the vents blow for maybe 15-30 seconds then nothing comes out of the vent. Turning off recirc everything returns to normal operation? You can hear the blower motor and fan working. The cabin filter appears to be fine. I'll post an auto-scan here shortly. I've run both the door calibration and ac compressor run-in.

voVfEBi.jpg

*trim is on its way from Europe. Currently out of stock in the states.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
I'm not sure how it's in Passat but in Golf till MY2008 the air recirculation flaps are controlled by two motors and after 2008 only one motor. That needs tweaking to get it working BUT it will never work correctly with two motors unfortunately :( I had to swap the entire flap housing to single motor version to get it working correctly.

Look here :
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-on-a-MKV-on-a-RNS-510-Screen-installed/page3

Blade3562

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=310127
I'm not sure how it's in Passat but in Golf till MY2008 the air recirculation flaps are controlled by two motors and after 2008 only one motor. That needs tweaking to get it working BUT it will never work correctly with two motors unfortunately :( I had to swap the entire flap housing to single motor version to get it working correctly.

Look here :

Sorry I should have specified I have a 2007 Eos 3.2, the new control panel is the only part from a 2012 NAR Passat. Sounds like I may have a single motor setup, but will keep you posted. Reading through that thread now. Need to connect my laptop to the wifi so I can't post an auto-scan, currently on my iPad.

Edit: After more reading, it definitely sounds like the common 2 motor problem. Not sure what to do now. Definitely don't feel like spending the money to buy and swap a heater box out. Maybe just have to go back to the original unit :/

Last edited:

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
You don't need to swap out complete heater box. The flap housing and motor are separate part which is swappable. It's tight but possible.
Bad part is that most likely the flap housing is not buyable separately so you need to get the complete heater box and try to sell the extra parts forward.

Blade3562

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=310127
I can't find any pictures of this said swap or what parts are needed. Reading through forum posts all night it seems like some people are able to make it work by jumping connectors on the B and C blocks, or by purchasing an adapter loom. Can anyone shed light on this? I'll gladly try an adapter harness or jumping a couple wires before swapping a heater box lol. You'd think with how common the Mk6 control swap is there would be guides, but I can find nothing.

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
I have done 2->1 motor swap. You need to change the box. On denso heater units the box is cheap 30-40 euros, on valeo, it comes with motor and 100sh. But again on denso you need to buy motor separate.

I guess you need to remove the dashboard to be able to access it. On my Passat i had to smash the old one and loosen the security beam to fit the new one in.

Or you can just bridge wires like i did on my mkv.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Bridging the wires makes both motors move at the same time. However, on my car it never worked correctly.
Most of the times the inner flap got stuck and it caused the interior to start getting foggy as there was a closed loop in the heater box :)

And I DID swap just the flap housing. Officially you cannot buy the part separately.
The flap housing is screwed from front with two torxes. You open them and then push the housing backwards to free it from the plastic claws behind.
Then you need houdini like skills to twist, bend and turn the box to get it out.
New flap housing is easiest to install if you take the flaps off. Both of them can be installed back when the housing is in place. Just needs surgeons hands to do it :)

Doable just fine. Hardest part to source the single motor flap housing.

Edit :

From the video you can see the housing and the bolts/screws at the front which keep it in place.

https://ruclip.com/video/LzoshufzU9...ap-positioning-motor-v113-dupa-inlocuire.html

Last edited:

Blade3562

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=310127
Do you have any more pics of the swap/install process? I feel like jumpering/bridging the wires is a better solution. Which wires would I be looking to bridge? Both flaps work fine on my car currently so removing them would be silly. I joined the UK mkv forum but it seems pretty dead. Someone had been selling an adapter harness which I would much rather run than cutting my wires up!

VeAlueA.jpg

QyIJwXY.jpg

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
I tried to look for the pics but looks like I've deleted them some time ago.

If you look at the links posted in earlier posts you'll find all the information from there what you need to bridge. Again, bridging is not the way to happiness. It will make the motors move at the same time but 99.9% certainty it will work a few times and then the motors get stuck and you will have a vacuum in the air box.
You will notice during rain and wet conditions how the interior starts to build up moisture and your windows will get fogged.

If you want to have it working 100%, changing to single motor unit is the only way I'm afraid.

Back