Time stamps on posts?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
It's up there with the mysteries of the universe and the existence (or, not) of an omniscient deity guiding humanity in its inexorable journey towards inevitable destruction!

Of course I'm referring to the logic behind the time stamps on posts in this forum.

Coming from a part of the world that is way ahead of America (.......in time at least and I would suggest in thinking, but perhaps not the latter :)), it's often puzzled me how the time stamp changes when I post my drivel. The stamp initially appears to adopt my time zone for a while and then by magic (or an act of said deity) it changes to some other time zone - I think

Help me with my dilemma -please explain!

Don

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
When you're logged out; the 'Forum Time' reverts to American (EST?) time - I think.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hmm, I've never seen any such inconsistency. But then again, I'm almost always in the forum's default time zone.

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Hmm, I've never seen any such inconsistency. But then again, I'm almost always in the forum's default time zone.

-Uwe-

Uwe: Here's what happens in the "Rest of the World" as VW defines anything not sold in Germany, or USA - notice the time stamp

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^^^ So here's how my post is time stamped initially - this accords with my local clock

JIkyLRY.png

I'll leave it a while and I bet-London-to-a-brick that fairly soon the time stamp will change

Don

EDIT- 2 hrs later: QED

8JFRzEh.png

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
When you're logged out; the 'Forum Time' reverts to American (EST?) time - I think.

Zenerdiode: I always like the way that you think! But alas, while it's a good hypothesis - I don't think that it applies down here down under (because I logged out and in again and my test post still says 12:22 PM)

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Scratching head. Here's what I see:

dWAoM7q.png

-Uwe-

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
Now is 7:07PM by me. I see:

fDzQ0Il.jpg

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
Forums generally have an option to set the time zone your in. On your profile, under the blue bar at the top Forum Actions/General Settings.

Time Zone: Mine is set to (GMT) Western Europe Time, London, Lisbon

Check what your Time Zone is set too: (GMT +10) Eastern Australia, Guam, Yakautsk

That will show your date and time on the post when you make a post.

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
EDIT- 2 hrs later: QED
8JFRzEh.png

Really hate to say this because I feel like I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but notice how the little green spot is illuminated showing you logged on in the first screen snippet - and off in the second? This means you are logged out.

When I'm logged in, at the bottom of each page vBulletin states 'All times are GMT +1.' True, as we're in British Summer Time which is GMT+1.

When I'm logged out vBulletin states 'All times are GMT -5.' Which again is true, because the yanks are 5 hours behind us.

So when you log back in again, does that post time jump back to the local time that you posted it?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Really hate to say this because I feel like I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but notice how the little green spot is illuminated showing you logged on in the first screen snippet - and off in the second? This means you are logged out.

When I'm logged in, at the bottom of each page vBulletin states 'All times are GMT +1.' True, as we're in British Summer Time which is GMT+1.

When I'm logged out vBulletin states 'All times are GMT -5.' Which again is true, because the yanks are 5 hours behind us.

So when you log back in again, does that post time jump back to the local time that you posted it?

Zenerdiode: As I said, I do like the way that you think- such clarity and such precision of logic!

You are of course entirely correct - I'll go sit in the Dunce's corner for a while :facepalm:

Don

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
Don, please tell me did you write this at 10:14 AM, Saturday? Right now, I've 11:00 AM, You 19:00 PM. Am I right? :cool:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Don, please tell me did you write this at 10:14 AM, Saturday? Right now, I've 11:00 AM, You 19:00 PM. Am I right? :cool:

Boki Ar: Yes, 100% correct - when I'm logged in that 's exactly how the time stamp operates- I feel quite confident about this. Now that Zenerdiode has unlocked the mystery I'm going to claim expert status!

Don

Back