Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: EV Thread

Post Thanks / Like

2. Likes Boki Ar, Uwe, D-Dub liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    ^^^^
    To say the $35,000 Model 3 is important to Tesla would be an understatement.
    What $35,000 Model 3? As far as I'm aware, not a single one has been sold at that price, nor is there even a date as to when such a car can actually be configured/ordered.

Current Model 3s being shipped are all ~$50,000 cars. And Tesla is still losing money. I really wonder how long they can keep raising new capital?
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

5. Likes D-Dub, vreihen liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't disagree, but as long as they are able to, it will push every other auto manufacturer to improve their products.

7. Likes vreihen, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Am I doing it right?

9. Likes D-Dub liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

11. Likes vreihen, PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Might want to get some of this for the fuel tank.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, it uses organic artisan power:

14. Likes Uwe, PetrolDave, D-Dub, vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Musing out loud - which generates less total pollution?

1. Driving a car charged by electricity generated mainly by coal fired power stations which is then fed several hundred miles over lossy overhead lines to a charging system that charges batteries that typically take 40% more energy to recharge than they deliver?

or:

2. Driving a car fuelled by gasoline that is drilled as crude oil then piped several hundred miles to a refinery which cracks it into several useful sections including gasoline that is then pumped several hundred miles through pipelines to a distribution center where it is trucked to gas stations where you fill the tank which a gasoline engine then burns?

There's so many steps in each of those scenarios I don't have a clue which is the most/least efficient and hence which is the least/most polluting? Maybe the only real difference is just moving the pollution from the vehicle to the electricity generating plant?

Just asking as I don't know the answer... and information from either the oil companies or the green lobby cannot be seen as independent so must be treated as biased by an enquiring scientific mind.

16. Likes Uwe, vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    Just asking as I don't know the answer... and information from either the oil companies or the green lobby cannot be seen as independent so must be treated as biased by an enquiring scientific mind.
    I don't either. If electricity were mostly generated via non-fossil fuel energy sources (nuclear, hydro, solar, wind, etc) then the answer would be fairly easy to deduce. But that isn't the case in most markets.

-Uwe-

18. Likes PetrolDave liked this post