Audi Q7 air suspension problem

JArms

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=302867
Background:
The other day I was sitting in the car in a parking lot playing with the height adjustable suspension on my 2013 3.0T Q7 Prestige. Now the rear is stuck in the high position. My MMI screen greys out all options and puts it in off-road mode. The TPMS warning comes on as well after driving a bit and the orange height light on the gauge cluster blinks.

What I've done:
I pulled my codes and got 01400 and 02250 codes. I followed a process I found here by going into 34 level control on the VAG com and going into basic settings 4. I can punch in group 020 and dump the pressure accumulator. (I hear it purge) I can do the same with group 021 dumping the front bags and making the car kneel. When I try group 022 to dump the rear axle nothing happens. I can raise and lower the front of the car doing this with my phone all day long but the rear seems to not want to move. Somehow it just holds pressure and wont cooperate. Prior to me messing with it in the parking lot the other day the car was preforming flawlessly. I'm thinking if I can somehow get the rear down it might be back in its happy spot. Help?

Jason

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Sounds like a sticky distributor air manifold.
Be careful that one code is for getting the pump hot from playing too much in a short period.

JArms

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=302867
Where is the distributor air manifold located? Does anyone have a pic? What can be done to unstick it?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Sometimes taking out and apart + cleaning then lubricating will help.

I like to tank them in the ultrasound machine then lubricate with a light lube like WD40 or a dry Teflon from Wurth.

The part will be easier to find if using the RTFB.

You will see a unit where all lines go into the block and that is the air manifold servo usually in close proximity of air pump.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Where is the distributor air manifold located? Does anyone have a pic? What can be done to unstick it?
See if Google can turn up a copy of Audi SSP # 362, "Audi Q7 - Running Gear" anywhere. I can't post it for you because it's "Copyright AUDI AG", but it shows the location of "Air supply unit with solenoid valve block" on page 29 and has a more detailed picture of that assembly on page 35.

-Uwe-

JArms

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=302867
Thanks guys. After doing some more looking around, on a hunch I decided to tap on the residual pressure valves on both rear air struts thinking they were sticking. I just laid under the car and reached up there with a 1/2" deep socket in my hand and gave them a few light taps. It only makes since seeing how the vag com wouldn't let the rear bags dump. After tapping on the little brass valves that the air lines connect to the air struts I started the car and put it in dynamic mode. The rear lowered to normal driving height! I've not ordered two of those valves. Seems like an easy fix. I'm even wondering if they can be cleaned and lubed instead of replaced... Now to drive it and make sure the TPMS issue that popped up at the same time does not return.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Water is the enemy and a hot pump creates a temp differential that induces a rain effect within drawn in by the pump.

Additionally careful attention should be made to not be using the air ride during humid climate.

In some cases an air drier added to the outlet side of the pump can help preserve the system operation to be free of contaminates.

That's why air compressors have water drain valves on them and paint shops use a drier.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The pump used in the Q7 ostensibly has an air dryer as part of the assembly.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
The pump used in the Q7 ostensibly has an air dryer as part of the assembly.

Yes but doesn't work worth a shit when the pump gets hot & you can visually watch it condensate spitting water.

Not endorsed seller but a video of this thing.

I just make up a custom pump with drier & after cooler & for dirt cheap money when the pump burns out, if the customer will allow it.

Why body shops and industrial sand blasters after cool than separate water pre tank storage .........

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe
Back