Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 01 TDI Beetle hard start cold. 126,000 miles automatic

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

01 TDI Beetle hard start cold. 126,000 miles automatic

Jack Sprat, good morning.

Larimore here................ been having trouble with the wifes beetle initial hard start when cold. Did an auto scan and can post but no codes except the usual mirror one, but insignificate. IMO.

Cranks for 5/5 seconds, may or may not bark. Stop..........then crank again and may take 4/5 seconds then lites off, and has quite a bit of smoke so was getting fuel, and from then on good, and morning temp here about 55/65F so not cold.

Thought maybe timing a hair off, but spot on, and I mean spot on. So Hooked up light to fuel solenoid, and it is coming on with key. Then swapped it with my other TDI for giggles, no change. Then noted this morning testing further test light to Glow plug, no light on initial crank or key on.........then light comes on about 4/5 seconds after running, but none up to then.

Had @ one time a glow plug light code too cluster, but none now and light in cluster has not worked for a long time (maybe something too the problem??? ) but doubt it. I stated maybe a problem as with some Euro equipment (PVC welders) here @ work the light on the panel is part of the system, and when they are out so is the whole tree, don't know if that applies here, but just mentioning it.

Have not looked further as is this an ECM command issue?, (don't know) but thought I would ask before I chase down relays and such, but glow does come on but not until engine is running for 4/5 seconds, seems wrong.

Larimore

2. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    You will need to post a autoscan if you want to get any meaningful help with your problem.

4. Likes Ashraf6119, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ja ja .......Hello Larrymore......Morning!

Sounds like two possibilities.........timing needs to be advanced or a slight fuel air leak with pump losing prime when cold.

Check fuel filter is tight on bottom bleeder drain and that the recirculation return line at filter is not leaking at the o-ring.

Check all lines from tank to pump for loose clamp or air leak.

Post a log of immediate commencement after it fires up.

0x01-03 start first test then back to 0x01-08-000 Log data for 20 seconds.

Also show me a log of base timing cold 0x01-04-000 & for 30 seconds.

Post a scan for continuity purposes and the collective please.

European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions LLC
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jack, will comply with auto scan, but had trouble with loss of prime @ pump before. Solution, went to clear tygon lines, placing the infeed side higher than pump so as to be able to view prime in this line @ all times, which seemed to work. Not saying there might not be an air comprimise beyond that but infeed line is loaded with no air during problematic incidence.

Wil post a screen capture of timing in real time, and also try and comply with your request. Did note in one pid............that timing for pump during idle actual did not comply with specified, although I found that odd, as this was @ the same time using TDI timing graph and showed it spot on, would like opinions on that. OKay???, I know, opening myself up to a major thumping, but I like pain, bring it on. quote from Heir Jack "timing might need to be advanced" are you saying that on occasion the timing picture in the graph can be altered to suit the situation?, or am I reading too much into that, just asking?, don't beat me MASSA.

Your faithful servant Larimore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't hurt to add a lift pump for that old timer ALH............I run them in my customers cars.

Yes timing can be off in extreme climate change situations.
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

8. Likes Ashraf6119 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jack, any advice on putting in a lift pump??? some inline like I use on the Cummins?? FASS, or would that be in the tank with some homeboy retro fitting?

Thought I saved the auto scan, but wrong, 1st time wrong in 2017, had a perfect year going, then I talked to Jack. all Jacks fault again. I will try and lite it off cold tomorrow AM and capture again.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm the scapegoat Ill accept that.........

Yup Mr. Gasket makes a nice in line pump that can be placed before the filter.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^can u provide a part# and some pics, how u wired it in

Post Thanks / Like
    ^can u provide a part# and some pics, how u wired it in

Your wish is granted!

Terminal 85 and 86 can be reversed on the relay ........as it's a coil and really doesn't give a shit it just takes what it wants.

Please see picture........

https://s15.postimg.org/fgrj2qux7/en..._lift_pump.png

NostraJackAss Has Spoken!

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if I got dazzled by all the eye candy but I can't find the part number cool pics