Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incorrect labels

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Why do you think you need a scan tool to get the timing belt right?

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because I want to check all the values before I start to ensure they are the same when I've finished. I have seen that block 093 shows how far out the cams are and I want to get them exactly right after I've replaced the belt. I have all the locking tools etc but I want to get it as perfect as possible and thought VCDS could help achieve that.

Should I not bother? Also I'm sure that in future I will need to observe other measuring blocks and it seems my engine is mapped differently from the others so it renders VCDS no help except diagnosing DTCs.

I hope that's clear! Appreciate your help!

Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Disclaimer: I'm not a professional mechanic, just a guy who decided to make a scan tool affordable enough that people could work on these cars themselves. But here's my two cents:

A timing belt on an engine like that isn't an "analog" or "stepless" thing. You either have it positioned right, or you're off one or more teeth on one of the sprockets. If you're off one or more teeth, my experience is that it will run like crap (if at all).

A scan tool is used on VE TDI engines to set the pump timing, which is indeed stepless.

The blocks you're looking for in the 09x range are used to check the timing of the cams on engines that have variable valve timing by means hydraulic of actuators in the head. They are not used to check the that the timing belt is set up correctly.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

Verified VCDS-Lite User
    Post Thanks / Like
    And the community loves you for it! A great tool that unlocks the potential of what's possible for the diyer.

Thank you for the clarification. I was alerted to using the scan tool on the forum thread below:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ition-question

I guess they are talking about the diesel version.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Russell