Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Passat with 2.5L 5-Cyl. Engine - ABS Coding?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it seems I've got a major problem now.

I was coding the ABS module ... I started at 0000000 and progressed (eventually in increments of 3) to 0000157. Here was my process. (by the way Ashraf6119, I tried 0013629 and 0013569, they're accepted, but the ABS and ESP lights return).

1. Battery charger hooked up on trickle charge (I'm going to be starting the car a lot)
    2. VCDS cable hooked up
    3. Ign. on
    4. recoded ABS module
    5. If the code was accepted, I cleared any previous ABS codes and started the car
    6. If the ABS and ESP lights returned, I'd turn the car off
    7. Turn ign. back on and try the next code

But when I got to around 0000131 ... the car began "chugging" at idle, although it would rev up OK. No engine codes yet ... I checked. I then decided to just start at 0001000 since none of the ABS codes I've seen were under that (to save some time).

I got to 0001031, coded the ABS module, and VCDS froze up! I shut the engine off, and turned it back on ... same thing. I rebooted my computer and tried again ... same thing VCDS freezing ... and eventually giving me an error message saying "Too many communication errors to continue" (or something to that effect). I tried to do an Autoscan ... NOTHING! ... said it's "unable to communicate"! I checked that the cable was connected to both the computer and the car (just got the VCDS a week ago - it's new).

I took the car for a drive and when I pulled back into the garage, it wouldn't idle at all, and the check-engine light was flashing. Checked the codes with an OBDII scanner since VCDS wouldn't work ... I got P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0305, P2279.

I disconnected the car battery for about 10 minutes, reconnected, and tried again ... VCDS cannot communicate ... and the engine still idles rough.

At this point, I don't know where to go. Keep in mind, the engine only had about 70,000 miles on it when I got it ... and it ran perfectly for about 350 miles ... although, in one of my VCDS scans, I DID get a P2279, but it went away in later scans. The codes point to a major vacuum leak somewhere, but why would that keep VCDS from communicating?

Tomorrow, I'm going to look for vacuum leaks ... I already disassembled the PCV valve (a few days ago) on the cam cover (that's a common problem with the 2.5 engines), it looked fine and held vacuum.

Any ideas as to why VCDS cannot communicate? I realize that my programming the ABS module may not be directly related to the engine codes / problems ... but COULD it be?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Test VCDS on a different car to make sure that your interface hasn't lost its mind.

In principle, coding the ABS should not have that kind of effect on the ECU.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...1/P2279/008825
    The P030x codes are misfires, which might well be a side-effect of an air leak.

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

3. Likes Ashraf6119 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once the code is accepted than Do Not Recycle the Ignition carry on the Basic Settings for the Steering Angle Sensor and for any other Sensors you have faults for.........

1) Enter the Coding>>>>>
    2) Basic Settings for Sensor for Steering Angle (G85)
    3) Basic Settings for Lateral Acceleration Sensor (G200)
    4) Basic Settings for Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201)
    Check fault codes if you have and other faults carry out the Basic Settings and than you can recycle the ignition but if you recycle before doing the basic settings the ABS Coding will not be saved

Edited: Can you please confirm: When you connect your VCDS interface does the Orange light on the interface change to Green..............?

Also does the vehicle still have its original radio or, its a after market radio fitted
    Last edited by Ashraf6119; 06-07-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraf6119 View Post
    Can you please confirm: When you connect your VCDS interface does the Orange light on the interface change to Green..............?
    He's got a HEX-V2. There is no orange on that one. Plugged into car only, it should be yellow. Plugged into computer only, it should be blue. Plugged in on both ends, green. It should switch reg/green when actively communicating.

-Uwe-

6. Likes Jetta ,97, Ashraf6119 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    He's got a HEX-V2. There is no orange on that one. Plugged into car only, it should be yellow. Plugged into computer only, it should be blue. Plugged in on both ends, green. It should switch reg/green when actively communicating.

-Uwe-
    Thanks Uwe I thought it was an old type of interface like my is over 15 years old interface which switches from orange to green

8. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraf6119 View Post
    Thanks Uwe I thought it was an old type of interface like my is over 15 years old interface which switches from orange to green
    Hyperbole, Ash. Your HEX+CAN is only about 5 years old.

-Uwe-

Post Thanks / Like
    The one registered here yes........Got another which is that old which is under our workshop name

11. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ashraf6119, no aftermarket radio ... actually, there's nothing aftermarket on the car ... everything is just as it came from the factory ... except the engine and ECU of course.

First off, I'll have to verify that the cable is OK with another car. I don't have another VW, but I could probably take it over to the guy I bought the engine from.

Concerning the coding, you mean I have to go through all the basic settings, for EVERY code that is accepted? If so, this is going to take FOREVER! I do know that when I went back to try another code (even after turning the ignition off), the previous (accepted) code was still there ... the field only remained unchanged if the previous code I tried was NOT accepted.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ashraf6119, are you saying that without going through the basic settings, the ABS and ESP lights could still remain on ... even though the ABS coding were correct?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once the ABS accepts a valid coding string, THEN you need to perform basic settings on G85, G200, G201.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|DAB RNS|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|Full colour MFD|Quad LED tail rings| Climatronics upgrade| Dynaudio retrofit | B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|TPMS Direct|Discover Media retrofit

15. Likes Ashraf6119, Uwe liked this post